2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

how many gears?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeeMyob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 17:29    Post subject: how many gears? Reply with quote

Hi,

New to the forum.

I am looking to buy a 4.0vvti 2004 Land Cruiser.

I have just rang a dealer to ask how many gears it has (As I understand it, early models <1st September 2004 were only 4 speed).

The dealer replied, "Its Automatic"

The don't know much about what they are selling, clearly. Its even listed as a 7 seat rather than 8.

So I said yes, I know, but how many gears?. Dunno came the answer.

Anyway, on the Dash, I can See the Following

P
R
D
L

So, as it was registered 18/10/2004 I am hoping 5 speed?.

My Previa has

P
R
N
D
L

(has o/d)

Any suggestions welcome?

TM
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 17:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon thats the 5 speed, same display as mine, but lifting the bonnet and not finding a transmission dipstick lurking near the firewall would confirm this to be the 5 speeder.

I had the 4 speed in a 3.4 petrol Collie, that was a lovely box too, and to be quite honest neither version would be a deal breaker one way or the the other.

What the 5 speed gains in supposed long trouble free life, it loses because renewing the fluid, even checking the fluid level is correct is such a faff (filler buried half way up the box beside the transmission tunnel, meaning you need some sort of pump to get new oil in), where changing the gearbox oil is about on a awkwardness par with changing the engine oil on the 4 speed, you could easily drop and refresh a 5 litre sumpful annually at oil change time in about 10 minutes.

Nice car though, i'd hoped to buy a 120 petrol and get it LPG converted, but as you know finding any 120 in really well cared for condition with a rust fee chassis is difficult enough, so when my present LC5 Diesel cropped up it was an instant buy.
TeeMyob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 23:11    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you.

Very informative and helpful reply
TeeMyob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone bought it the day I was going to view.

Maybe I should not have posted it one here!

128,000 miles
2004 LC5
Gold
Beige Leather

Was reduced to £4995
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a golden rule about Landcruisers, if its cheap there's always a reason why and i imagine that reason will be found underneath,  it never ceases to amaze me how many buyers never stick their heads underneath any vehicle they are looking to buy  Shocked

Underneath including tyres wheel and brakes is the first place i go, and when i was looking for my present LC (my current 120 just appeared one morning and i snapped it up within a couple of hours of it going online, it wasn't cheap) i travelled a good 150 miles to view a 'pristine' 100 series at a dealer, never even opened the doors or bonnet, got under the back and shoved me mitt straight through a body box section, and was back in my car on the way home 5 minutes later.

It's quite likely you have had a lucky escape, having to reduce the price on an already cheap LC tells one all they need to know.
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wish there was an edit button here.

When a good LC comes up, or what looks to be a good one, you've got to be on the phone immediately let them know you're on the way and ask them even if they can't save it for you for 1 or 2 hours travel time, at least would they phone to let you know it sold to save you any more mileage wasted than needed.

There are a lot of neglected 120's out there, and 100 series too, the previous models 70/80/90 were more industrial in nature and looks and appealed more to people who wanted a vehicle of this type regardless of them not being as pretty as a Range Rover of the period, but were maybe more mechanically minded buyers and realised the reasons for such vehicles why the need to be looked after.

120/100 and those coming after catered much more to the Range Rover and soft roader buyer, but many buyers seem to think these because these Toyotas are tough and reliable that they can be neglected, this is not the case, looked after they last better than anything else out there, but IMHO those vehicles that have been cared for properly are maybe less common than the previous models...no one bought a UK 70 series for its good looks.

Don't know if that makes any sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: