Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

diff lock warning light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> New member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smudger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:03    Post subject: diff lock warning light Reply with quote

hello all I am new to TLCOC i have a problem
Ihave a 1998 japanese import landcruiser prado 3.0 tx tdi while cleaning the interior I must have hit a button now the diff lock warning light has come on on the dashboard can anyone tell me how to get it off/reset it
A toyota dealership said that it is stuck in the high drive gear and if i want to leave it there they will look into the problem
please can anyone help me
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mbw13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along  Very Happy

Diff lock problem, hmm, sounds strange that you simply can't disengage it. I don't have diff-locks on my wagon so I can't really vouch for them.

The TX Prado is a 90 series aye? I know the 70 series diff-lock swith was (in some cases) a rotation swith, did you actually engage the diff lock? I could be missing the point here, but have you tried turning/pressing the switch the other way? Sorry if this sounds like a strange question.  Wink

Mike.
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reversing a short distance.

Joinerman
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 21:14    Post subject: Locked diff Reply with quote

OK, there are two diff locks and two lights - orange and red. (if it's the same as a 90 Prado) the orange is the center diff and comes on when you push the second lever (little gearstick) forward. The rear diff can only come in once you go past that gate, into low ration and then turn the dial under the steering wheel. If you managed that whilst dusting it would be a minor miracle!  Are you sure that you haven't just pushed the lever forwards?  I know that some Prados don't have a rear diff lock, they have an LSD instead. It may sound rather insulting I know, but try moving the lever back and if nesc, drive back and forth a couple of times. Sometimes with wind-up, the diff lever is returned to normal 4 high mode, but the actual lock doesn't disengage. If you've done all that already - apologies. Let us have a few more details and we'll see if we can come up with anymore ideas.

LC
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said landcrusher, that's what i wanted to say in my post above but had to go out unexpectedly so kept it short, but yeh i think your spot on with the diagnosis.

Joinerman
smudger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 22:32    Post subject: diff lock light Reply with quote

thanks for the info landcrusher i will try those and will keep you informed

sorry LC I should have said yes it is a 90 prado and yes it is the orange light
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 0:26    Post subject: crossed in the post Reply with quote

No sweat Joinerman - I think I was posting whilst you were submitting. Just can't believe that I said "low ration" instead of ratio! What a gimp.

LC
smudger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 20:20    Post subject: diff lock warning light Reply with quote

message to LC you were bang on mate it took about 2 mins
A lot better than the toyota dealership trying to tell me the 2nd gearbox had to be stripped for them to investigate blah blah blah loads of money
once again thanks mate
joinerman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yota dealership would have done exactly what landcrusher said & you did, only they would have kept it in the park round the back of the garage for a few days saying they were stripping the box down then given you a huge bill for two mins work, been there got the t shirt

Joinerman
mbw13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

joinerman wrote:
The yota dealership... been there got the t shirt. Joinerman

Very Happy Haven't we all mate  Wink

Mike.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 23:16    Post subject: Problem sorted Reply with quote

No probs, Smudger. I couldn't get drive, once. Was all set for pulling the transmission out and getting to work with a hammer (sorry, that should read spanner) when I stepped back for a minute and realised that the stick for hanging the take-away on had been slipped into neutral!

Hah!

LC
mbw13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 23:15    Post subject: Re: Problem sorted Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
No probs, Smudger. I couldn't get drive, once. Was all set for pulling the transmission out and getting to work with a hammer (sorry, that should read spanner) when I stepped back for a minute and realised that the stick for hanging the take-away on had been slipped into neutral!

Hah!

LC

Legend!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  

Never would've thought about hanging the take-outs on that lever  Shocked

Mike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> New member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: