NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Most miles out of a tank.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldage Traveler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing to try would be a different brand of diesel, with my van ( a fiat scudo 2.0 JTD ) i get 550 to the tank at tesco but over 600 if i fill up at shell or BP, I have no idea why but it might make a difference with yours, good luck and i hope you get it sorted.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 15:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

adamsoble

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was suggested a long time ago.  There is some truth in it, dependant on the car.

A friend of mine had a 200bhp Alfa 156 JTD 2.4 and he swore that it would only run well on shell fuel.  When he put tesco fuel in, his car ran like a nail.

Now Tesco fuel comes from Argentina and BP/Shell is uk produced (Aparently)

Now i usually run mine on Tesco, as have not really had any reason to pay more from the local shell garage,

but to humour my doubters, i put a tank of expensive shell fuel in and returned 20 miles less to the tank that tesco,

as they say, every little helps!

Getting very confused but the whole situation, but know im getting 340 miles to £99.76 at my last fill up, thats 29p a mile just in fuel!
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamsoble wrote:
Now im gutted.  Sat at 65mph on cruise control for 200 miles only got 22mpg!

Anyone know a good scrap merchant?
I would really go along the route of getting the ecu re-flashed, and perhaps a set of reconditioned injectors.

That fuel consumption is painfull.
Oldage Traveler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah my LC was the same, I tried shell and tesco with no noticable difference, only noticed with the fiat van, sorry can't think of anything else to suggest, sounds like you've tried all the obvious things.
adamsoble

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to quash the other route,

car had a set of replacement injectors courtesy of toyota less than a year ago. - no change in mpg up or down afterwards.

That was the "Computer Says" answer to all my problems.

So ecu reflash it could be.  Is that the same as ecu reset (Performed by batteries off and wait)  as if so, this was done the other month whilst fitting my towbar.

I am getting to an increased state of desparation, as i am not stupid and have tried most logical things over the last year.  It was only whilst reading this topic that i realised quite how bad my problem is.
SANDCASTLE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI THERE
  I AM GETTING 21/22 MPG ROUND TOWN SHORT RUNS NEVER GETTING WARM. ITS NOT VERY OFTEN IT GETS A DECENT RUN. WE DID HOLLAND LAST YEAR VIA HULL,ROTTERDAM ROUND TRIP 650MILES ISH FULLY LOADED ROOF BOX AND 4 BIKES ON THE BACK AND IT DID 28.9MPG AT A STEADY 65/70 MPH I WAS OVER THE MOON WITH THAT.

LC3 D4D AUTO APROX 40,000 ON THE CLOCK.
Very Happy
adamsoble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish i could get that kind of economy from mine.

I phoned toyota the other day asking for a price on a reflash of my ecu.

they told me that they dont recommend you do it, so they dont offer the service!

Now im stuck in a catch 22,, as im sure that if i bought a new ecu from them, they would flash the right software on!

HELP!
olivergt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you getting on with this?

I've just read somewhere that a faulty oxygen sensor can seriously impact MPG.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/*beep*/maintain.shtml

Not sure if your car even has one or how to test it, but maybe someone else on here does.

Oliver
olivergt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

the *beep* in the URL should be f e g with no spaces, not sure what bad word it's supposed to be? Oh well *beep* it.

Oliver
adamsoble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver,

I have got to the stage of dispair with the car.  Yet another yellow fuel light on with 360 miles on the trip!

Local toyota say that they cant diagnose a problem through the ecu, all they can do is check the sensors one by one manually at a cost of £82 an hour.  I said to them that i pay my solicitor and accountant £80 an hour, not a mechanic.  If their mechanics earn even half that, i shall shut down my business and go and get a job as a toyota mechanic!

Another thing with toyota is that they dont think there is anything wrong with 21mpg, they think this is quite usual for these vehicles.  When i ask them why the LC literature says 30 - 35mpg, they say that these are figures achieved in ideal condidtions and are nothing to go by.  I think there is something wrong with this!

I have since been in touch with Toyota Customer Support, who are apparently looking into it.

I dont hold out much hope, as they keep saying that it is down to the way the car is driven.  After 30k miles in the last year, i think i would know the difference between conservative driving and heavy foot!

I have decided i should sell the LC and buy a ferrari, i will still get 20mpg but at least i will have a smile on my face!  (Until the next Gloucestershire Floods!)

I did have the luck of being taken out in an Aerial Atom the other day, hitting 60 in 2.7 seconds sat between two stepladders was a very surreal experience.

If i have a spare 50k to play with, i would go and buy one of those supercharged honda powered jet fighters!

Anyway, thanks for asking how we are getting on, no news yet but keep the suggestions coming!
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you have enough to ponder but in case it hasn't occurred to you, the turbo might not be doing its bit. If you can check the boost pressure you might find something off which would be worth sorting out. About the only other thing to check would be the tappet clearances. If they are too large they are noisy and if too tight the performance goes off.

Neither potential problem is difficult to check and any improvement in fuel consumption very much appreciated now.

Willy
adamsoble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi wanderingwilly "never written that before!"

Performance is very good, would be surprised if turbo was not doing its bit.  you hear it spin up etc.  I would have thought engine management light would come on.

I think they are hydraulic lifters on those engines - can anyone else confirm?????
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 20:35    Post subject: hydraulic Lifters Reply with quote

If your engine has hydraulic lifters they can be noisy at start up on an older engine (over 50,000 miles). The oil pickup in the sump gets covered in gunge and the pump cannot pick up oil quickly when it is cold. If you flush out the engine with clean oil or add some flushing agent to the oil to clean the mesh over the oil pickup it will pick up oil from the sump immediately and the tappets won't rattle. This won't help the fuel consumption unless the tappets are damaged (from lack of oil) in which case the engine will sound like a wreck.

I doubt this is your problem. My money is still on the turbo or the injection timing but it's your car not mine!

Sorry I can't help more

Willy
adamsoble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi WW

oil changes are done every 5000 miles, oil is still very clean when removed.

Sureley if oil strainer was blocked, oil pressure light would be lit.

Will try and have a look at turbo pipework and let you know.  Its in for cambelt tomorrow, so will see what they have to say!
Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I am not bothered as to what a car can do in mpg but I have just got back from a trip where I covered 345 miles on half a tank.... I don't have a clue what the tank holds!

This was mainly motorway driving with the cruise control turned on and the car doing a nice steady 60mph Smile

Can anyone work out my mpg Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: