Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tow bar electrics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 13:28    Post subject: Tow bar electrics. Reply with quote

Has anyone experience of wiring up a towbar on an LC3. Just fitted the towsure bar and now need to wire it up. There is a lot of wireing in the back of an LC3!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 13:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You should find all of the wires behind the near-side rear light. There really isn't a lot of slack in the loom. There is a plug from memory too. But getting a match from Toyota would be more than a life's work. The colours are in the manual and the plug colours are an international standard of course. Possible best to put an intermediate junction box in so that it's easier to work. I have an LC£ Towsure bar in teh garage doing nothing! Shame you could have had that.

LC
Oldage Traveler

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Landcrusher is right there's a plug for the genuine towbar kit, I think it has everything you need for a 12n socket but I can't remember if it has an offside indicator wire?
I just cut the plug off then solderd and heat shrunk the socket cable right on to it. I think mine was under the carpet directly under the nsr light. good luck
timbo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I had a look this morning and I couldn't see a plug, we are talking 03 LC aren't we. What colour is it, had the carpet up in the back all I could see was a cluster of wires coming up from underneath but no plug. I know Toyota do a plug to fit this but its over £120. First I need to find it, any more suggestions?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was an LC3 for sure. Definitely behind the rear light, inside the wheel arch area.

LC
Oldage Traveler

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mine was under the carpet where the floor meets the rear wall, just before the door it was taped to the rest of the harness that goes under the threshold strip with a white multi plug on the end, they possibly put in different harnesses for different versions of the 120
timbo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many wires going to it ?
Oldage Traveler

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

think there was about 6 but can't be sure it was about 8 mths ago that i fitted the bar and being a sparky i tend to see a lot of wires
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the post saying they are tight, and no slack, is 100% right.

Not even half inch of slack when you pull the carpet back, and the plastic corner side moulding.

Mine was done when I got it, so I am glad I didn't have to do it.

Looks a right stinker
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate those Scotch-locks too. They're really just wire cutters in disguise. My current Colorado was butchered before I got it and when I came to fix the lights that weren't working at the plug end I ended up grafting new sections of wire in as the wet had got in and the loom had rotted. Wiring the towbar underneath the vehicle, out in the open is a really bad idea. You would think that given the appeal of the Landcruiser series (for towing) that wiring in the electrics would be a total doddle. The new LR3 has a plug built in behind the rear lights, I understand. It seems that every time I hook my trailer up, there another poor connection!
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunatley mine was all done before I got it, and it looks like they did an excellent job.

Who ever did it took time and effort, because I couldnt' have done a better job myself.

All the cores from the tow bar socket have been carefully soldered onto the required cables inside, behind the light.

It looks like they have carefully removed half inch of insulation from the original wires, without cutting or damaging the copper conductors, then they have twisted the new copper around the original, soldered it, and taped each one up again.

By the way, there is still a white connection plug / socket there, they haven't cut it away.
amortens
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:05    Post subject: Tow bar wiring. Reply with quote

I guess you all know, but you can find the instruction of how to do this here www toyota-tech eu

Enter dot for my spaces.

Regards

Arne
adamsoble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought my kit from toyota.

Bought a towbar kit, read the instructions, and frightened the life out of myself.

Bought a kit from toyota for about £60 and had it fitted in minutes without cutting a single wire.

well worth the money, unlike most of my experiences of my toyota garage so far.

hope this helps, if not too late.#

will post part number if you need.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Gurgled this response. Clearly someone makes these kits. Don't know which one you need, but woth a few quid via airmail, I'd have thought.

LC

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/-c-45_158.html?osCsid=vmrmn0691s5od4andlgan12ej4
adamsoble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the toyota one.

they got mine in next day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: