Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Another from the Dark Sider

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> New member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garfield

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 17:26    Post subject: Another from the Dark Sider Reply with quote

Back into 4x4, but I moved from a well known British brand

Had Range Rover, fixed said Range rover on a weekly basis, sold said Range Rover swearing never again, got a 4 Motion Passat, needed a tow car so .... sold the Passat and got

A 3.4 VX 5 Door.

Yup I remembered the comments from the Range Rover days - 'you'd be better off with a Cruiser', I have done 4 trips to Africa since the Range Rover and 2 to Saudi and guess what everyone out there drives ... yup, Cruisers and Troopers.

So I gone and done it, picked up a nice 3.4 Colorado VX, collecting said VX tomorrow ...

To those who said I'd be better off with a Cruiser I'd better not regret this or I will seek you out Wink !!

My background is ex UK military (hence the 'nothing is better than a Land Rover' mentallity), am now a systems architect, and driving something very un PC .... and I don't give a rodents rectum.

Remains to be seen how much time I spend here ... but the number of buttons and such seem very complex - 2nd start and all that, guess the old dog needs to learn new tricks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 17:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nice things about Toyotas - specially the big 4X4s - is that they are relatively easy to work on. Nobody looks forward to changing a gearbox or similar, but the way these cars are made - and with the help of this web site - you can tackle that sort of job on your front drive, halfway up a mountain or in the Sahara - if you have to.

While the consensus is that with a little TLC, LCs last forever,  they do sometimes go wrong. The club shop sells Max Ellery manuals which cover most of the basics. Someone here will usually have heard that sort of funny noise or seen the flashing light on the dash, found out what it is, how to fix it and where to get the bits. The same applies if you want to raise the suspension, put a tent on the roof or fit an indoor shower.

There aren't as many places supplying LC bits as there are for LRs (wonder why?) but there are enough. Sometimes it's necessary to get bits from Oz, SA or the good ol' USA but not too often. And even then, there is good information here on who to contact and how to arrange shipping.

It's a good system

Willy
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

And (this may be a new experience) you'll enjoy driving it. No argument that on any given day the 'British made product' when sorted is truly made for being in unspeakable off road conditions, but when all you want to do is pop out for your lottery ticket and a pint of milk on a Saturday evening you won't be faced with the question "Hmm would I rather walk?"

Welcome - oh and don't be fooled into thinking that the Toyota is a soft-roader like many out there.

LC
nordic venture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome garfield.  Very Happy

i had a 110 and after 4 years got fed up with all the niggles and 'character' so inherent in landrovers. i read a comment on another forum; someone was changing from a landrover to a landcruiser; he was advised to find a new hobby as he wouldn't be spending every weekend lying under his car fixing it!!!! whilst not totally right as any 4x4 will need something doing to it, i can see their point.

enjoy  Very Happy
Garfield

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, well the character is there is spades with the Solihull brand, it remains to be seen if the cruiser has character or personality, I need to get the beast squared away before I dream of taking it into the mud, find out what works, how it works and even what doesn't - if it moves weld it, if it doesn't move pass the hammer, it creaks when engaging reverse and I think the exhaust is blowing but I can't find any holes - just sounds 'wrong'. Need to sort out the radio (not original) and the trim sorrounding it too looks like the original was stolen judging by the screwdriver marks.

I have been watching with interest some U-Tube stuff and so far without exception not one of the Landcruisers offroad has impressed but that is more down to the vehicles config and the drivers, who seem to flaunt all the rules of sensible 'off roading' these are just a few of the mistakes witnessed in sime U-Tube videos - and some were made by people who claim to be experienced. I wonder if it is just a U-Tube thing or whether the Land Rover boys take things a lot more seriously.

1st - Never get yourself into a position you can't get out of, if you are unsure walk the track first, if in doubt stay out, pick another route.

2nd - Never cross water unless you know what is under it and how deep it is, in fact if poss never cross water at all if you can avoid, and yes yet again wade it yourself first, pick your line, all looks great on a video but it ain't smart.

3rd - Make sure recovery strops are properly secured BEFORE getting stuck and put them in a safe place - over the spare or taped/tied to the bonnet or nudge bars.

4th - Keep those thumbs out of the steering wheel, up in the air or on the outside rim, if you nail something that snatches the wheel it will break your thumb.

5th - Off road needs off road rubber or all terrain as a minimum, the standard 'road' use stuff just won't hack it.

6th - If poss stay out of the ruts from preceding vehicles, stay on the high ground.

7th - Touching brakes when descending after a failed ascent is asking for trouble, unlock those diffs, low range and let the engine do the job - keep those feet off the pedals - ALL pedals concentrate on coming down in a straight line, if you can't come down in a straight line you shouldn't have gone up in the first place - pick another route. Pick a low gear and once ascending stay in it, try to keep the forward motion constant, don't be in a hurry.

8th - On really soft ground reduce those tyre pressures by around 40% is a good figure and keep your speed down.

9th - keep the windows and other orifices closed then if you do roll your sticky out bits won't get broken off.

10th - If the wheels start spinning stop immediately, reverse and try a slightly different line - spinning the wheels WILL bog you down even further.

11th - If you get bogged down be prepared to get dirty, get the spade out, get the mats out, carry and know how to use a ground anchor and a Tirfor winch - learn how to self recover - going to the farm to borrow the tractor makes you look amatuer.

Getting stuck in a 4x4 - ANY 4x4 - is largely down to the driver.

Hope I don't come over as a know all, thats not the intention but I am 100% certain that the Landcruiser is an equal to the Land Rover offroad if properly prepared and driven, the video's I saw gave the impression that the cruiser is a soft roader. I have driven offroad in Sweden, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Dubai, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and South africa, and trust me in some of those places stuck is something you really don't want to be.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top tips Garfield. I would add -

try to avoid going on your own,

Have another capable vehicle

Never get the second vehicle stuck as well!

Getting unstuck is usually easier coming out the way you went in

You can't teach experience. Go and see how the big boys do it.

LC
nordic venture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Top tips Garfield. I would add -

try to avoid going on your own,

Have another capable vehicle

LC

ooops. i fall foul of these 2. at least i did when i was crossing iceland. mind you i did see another 3 people, but they were together, on motorbikes and i was helping them keep their feet dry at a river crossing. Laughing

i see nothing wrong in travelling alone, in fact i prefer it, after considering where you are going, conditions, likelyhood of someone coming your way etc etc. my plan for if something went wrong on my trip. - put tent up / kettle on / wait maybe a day, maybe 2. i knew someone would be along at some point. i don't consider this approach unresponsible, quite the oposite. the only person i have to rely on is myself, i like doing things without having to have a convoy of friends to help out and give the impression that we're driving along in a little bubble of the modern western world, with help expected around every corner and being fubar'd when it isn't.

don't get me wrong, i'd be quite happy to travel with friends (if i had any) in a following vehicle, and there are places i wouldn't risk going to on my own 'just in case'. but a convoy of vehicles, all the gear, showers, etc etc in my mind is the 4x4 equivilent to an OAP bus tour to scarborough Shocked so many of you that you don't need to interact with the world you've chosen to 'invade'

rant over - luch time.

cheers
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let me rephrase that.

Avoid doing really stupid things, on your own, when there is little chance of help or rescue, like trying to cross the Amazon in your lunch hour.

I share your love of being in my own space - when I go stalking I am always on my own. But I have a plan. I may be on my own in that section of forest - but I didn't come to Scotland on my own. Someone - will know that I'm missing. We have a system. Being in trouble and hoping that someone will happen across you is not a system.

I wasn't really talking about overland trips such as the Arctic Circle, I was really talking about going off roading for the weekend.

Oh also, try to take a trailer with a replacement 4x4 on the back. That one's a sure fire winner. Ha Ha.

LC
Garfield

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going it alone for the experienced is OK providing you are equipped and knowledgable enough to self recover or not get into the situation in the first place. Even then things can stop you dead that you don't and can't plan for - busted axles / radiators etc etc.

Could I go it alone?, sure, would I?, nope, not if I had a choice (PS I don't mean alone as in having people in the car with me) but a second car nearby can save your life) so I can still listen to what I like as loud as I like for as long as I like ... that way I don't hear the screams of all the ramblers I squish ....

Generally for most the advice to not go alone is probably the best tip but I would qualify it a little and say that at least one of the convoy needs to be trained or at the very least have some experience. Two first timers on their first trip is a recipe for 2 stuck or broken vehicles.
nordic venture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
OK, let me rephrase that.

Avoid doing really stupid things, on your own, when there is little chance of help or rescue, like trying to cross the Amazon in your lunch hour.

I share your love of being in my own space - when I go stalking I am always on my own. But I have a plan. I may be on my own in that section of forest - but I didn't come to Scotland on my own. Someone - will know that I'm missing. We have a system. Being in trouble and hoping that someone will happen across you is not a system.

I wasn't really talking about overland trips such as the Arctic Circle, I was really talking about going off roading for the weekend.

Oh also, try to take a trailer with a replacement 4x4 on the back. That one's a sure fire winner. Ha Ha.

LC

exactly. have a fall back. fred's somewhere between A and B, he said it would take a week and we haven't heard from him for nearly 2.  i kinda knew you were meaning off-road weekend trips etc where you generally like to test yourself and your vehicle. i just went off on one  Rolling Eyes

but where do you draw the line ? i agree garfield that you can't account for everything but is an expedition not also an adventure? i like to think it is. sure go prepared, consider the risks, are you prepared to accept them? i have an auto gearbox, if it goes t1tz up i'm stuck. what am i to do? change it for a manual box, carry a spare  Laughing  find someone who can drive behind me into who's car we can all pile if it goes wrong and who wants to do exactly the same as me and go to the same places, stop at the same time and so on and so on. or shall i just maintain it the best i can, select D and go for it.
we've all lost to some extent or another our sense of adventure and belief in ourselves, relying far too much on the 'safety nets' that society puts in place for us. we're all pesimistic (?) prefering to dwell on what may go wrong instead of what we may achieve. people have walked, cycled, motorcycled, sailed, rowed round the world on their own. who are they relying on? themselves and their own self belief. no back up crew. no fall back. no airlift. don't fall into the 4x4 package tourist trap.
do your own thing.

lunch over - rant resumed.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, but most of that last bit is taken care of. You're in a Toyota!!!!! Now all you have to worry about is being eaten by cannibals. As long as you can fix a puncture and you have enough fuel and you keep between the ditches, you should be fine. I think that the only things that would be really really essential of going on a trip such as we're talking about would be tyres, extra lighting, maybe spares like oil and filters, fuel, maps and underbody protection to replace the rather weak stuff that Mr T supplied from the factory. Other than that, a well serviced and maintained LC should be a good choice.

A good old rant is good for you.

LC
nordic venture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:

A good old rant is good for you.

LC

indeed it is. right who's next? Very Happy  Very Happy

ps. sorry garfield for hi-jacking your post.
Garfield

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you know - we are all supposed to drive cars sorrounded in sponge rubber so that if some wally doesn't look where he's going a collision with a 2 ton car doing 30mph won't hurt ...

Now that really IS a soapbox - pity there seems to be no rant forum here  Wink

As for your comments I agree, an adventure is just that, but for me it is also about taking all the necessary steps not to turn it into something harder, that is part of the adventure too, the 'how smart am I really' adventure, for me half the adventure is in the planning.

Always with me though it is the 'unknown' element that makes it so much fun, die or get lost etc etc  Wink , for me if I plan a 100 things it will I guarantee be the thing I never thought of that kicks me in the groin ...

200 gallons of fuel .. check
16 spare tyres .. check
200 spare fuses .. check
Mars bars .. check
Tyre irons .. check
Spare battery .. check
Spare filters and Gaskets .. check
spare hoses .. check
2 Cans WD40 .. check

Then you get a flat tyre and it is ... where the f**k is the wheel brace, or has anyone seen the keys - you get the drift.

Doesn't matter how often, when or where it is always something ... but to make a mistake is OK, to repeat it is not, learn from the experience, this is all part of the adventure.

Hijack away  ...

Talking of which a freind of ours lost a land cruiser to hijackers in Tanzania .... the jackers pretended to be police then stole everything including the car when they stopped.
nordic venture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

stopped ranting.

what would be good is an expedition section on the forum. it would seem that more and more people are joining and have an interest in travelling (or wanting to) and discussions on equipment, vehicle prep, hints tips etc etc are spread over various section depending on which vehicle they have. how about combining it all? who's in charge? are you out there?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I think that there are a couple of sections missing, one of which should be a sticky of some sort on "What to look for on this particular vehicle" in other words, if you own one, what preemptive action can you take on: BEBs, Diff locks, Rust areas, wheel bearings etc etc. We do seem to get the same questions over and over again as new people join.

Garfield - I know what you mean about forgetting. I'm a great one for lists. I have pre prepared ones on my computer for different things and I find that I don't forget kit anymore. If you forget it once, put it on the list and you won't repeat the mistake.

Now if only I could remember which file I put the list in.....

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> New member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: