Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Lack of knowledge

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44    Post subject: Lack of knowledge Reply with quote

Right here we go simple questions...daft maybe to you, but .....As I have only just acquired the vehicle, the sooner I ask I will find out.
My vehicle is a LC3 D-4D AUTO.
I have come from a Nissan Terrano when everything appeared much more simple.

Is my vehicle permanently in 4 wheel drive ?   Embarassed

The shift switch near gear selector is that just to allow me to change into 1st or 2nd ?  Embarassed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thor, Welcome,

We all ask questions.

Firstly,

yes, they are 4 wheel drive all the time, unless something is very bust !

I dont quite know what you mean by 1st, 2nd. do you mean the smaller of the 2 shift levers?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lever on the LC3 should go something like P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1?

If you put it in D drive, and set off, the box will cycle up the gears until it reaches top. If you knock it down, you are basically chopping off the next gear up. So if you put it in 2, it will start in 1, change up to 2 and stop. This is useful off road and in snow, where if you spin a wheel, the 'computer' may think that the car is actually flying along and try to change up. Not helpful. So by locking it down, you stop it changing up. If you stick it in 2 then press 2nd start on the dash it will also lock out 1st. So the only gear available at all is 2nd. Handy in low range off road when it's bumpy and your foot is bouncing up and down.

Have fun

LC
120man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the smaller gear lever to the left of the main shift that is the centre differential lock/Low range selector

Your LC has a Torsen centre diff, which is an automatic diff. lock. Will not lock front/rear completely though, so if you need to do so in loose stuff, mud or snow etc pushing small gear lever forwards does so.

Same lever right & forwards again engages low range, again with centre diff. lock on.

Choice of first or second gear on start is selected via second start button

Rear diff lock applied via rotary switch on dash.

(People with LC4's or 5's have brake trickery doing all that stuff.)
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, missed the subtlety of the bit at the bottom - agreed with 120 man on the little lever. However, the question related to a shift switch (not a lever)? This might be the shift lock button which when pressed simply allows the lever to be taken out of PARK without the foot on the brake.

LC
thor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys slowly being educated here.

Shift lock button thats it.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullseye!

LC
thor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I was asking if it was in permanent 4 wheel drive is this..... In the handbook it says, 'H' for normal driving, 'HL' [centre differential locked] On wet, icy or snow covered roads....it was this that threw me, can someone explain very carefully and slowly for my brain to absorb what the exact difference is when in 'H' and 'HL'  sorry it may appear straightforward to you, but it's not to me.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. The engine drives a box in the middle of the car called the transfer box. This has two shafts coming out of it. One goes back to the rear wheels via the rear diff and one come forwards into he front diff. Essentially these two diffs allow the left and right wheels to go round at different speeds when cornering. In a straight line - you wouldn't need them. But you also need to allow for the back and front wheels to go at different speeds to. OK? So when in H any wheel can do any speed. When you lock the centre diff this takes away the ability to split power between the back and front wheels. Up until then, the centre box of tricks could make some decisions about how much power it could send here and there (with a minimum of 50% always going to the rear, I think) Never mind why.

When locked, power MUST go to the front and the back without that variance. This is handy if it's slippery so that you don't go into a ditch. If you then lock the rear diff, the rear wheels HAVE to go around at the same speed as each other. Great for grip if one is slipping, but bad news of you try and turn whilst on tarmac. The wheels will certainly protest cos they cant turn independently. In the meantime the front wheels are getting their power too, but as they have no front diff lock, they can still turn as they like. In fact if one is in slippery mud, it will get all of the drive and spin round whilst the other stands still. Hoepfully, though, the locked up rears will get some grip and push the front wheels onto something solid. A front diff lock is a nice thing to have. By the way, if you have an auto and the front wheels are slipping, you can gently press the brake with your left foot to mimic grip to the spinning wheel and transfer drive over to the other wheel that is on solid ground but not moving.

So when bowling along on the motorway and you see standing water, you can push the lever forwards into H and reduce the potential for losing grip - it's extremely effective. Just remember to disengage before a roundabout. I recommend shoving it into H and also low fairly regularly to keep all the bits moving. When I got my current 90 series, H was pretty stiff and had clearly never been used. Neither had the rear diff lock which had rotted away and dropped off.  Worth looking after at £700 a throw. Plenty of use later, it's a slick as it was when new.

LC
Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher.... Thor has a 120 model which, if it is the same as mine, does not have a rear diff lock.... just the electronically controlled centre lock.

I am sure the rear diff is a limited slip set up and the front may be the same Question

As for changing between H and L.... surely this cannot be done at speed as it would break the gearbox. I am very sure mine cannot be done on the move Confused
thor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow  Shocked  that will take a while to absorb .....thanks......I think I'll get a drink first.

I feel so stupid  Embarassed
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pheonix,

Thats what I thought.

Am I right on saying you should only change into HL at speeds below 20mph ?
I would only ever engage 4L when I am on a field, which would give me plenty of slip.

If I saw a big puddle of water, it would make no difference changing ang gears, or locking center diff.

Just drive on through it !

it would take more than a puddle to suggest I change into 4H.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Guys, the LC3 does have a rear diff lock and a manual centre diff. Just being a 120 doesn't mean that it's all electronic. I had one for two years, up until Dec last year. The LC4 and 5 are different. Now in the book, the LC3 is actually down as having an LSD and a rear diff lock. I never felt any benefit from an LSD and wondered if it actually did have one.

Trust me on this one.

LC
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Guys, the LC3 does have a rear diff lock and a manual centre diff. Just being a 120 doesn't mean that it's all electronic. I had one for two years, up until Dec last year. The LC4 and 5 are different. Now in the book, the LC3 is actually down as having an LSD and a rear diff lock. I never felt any benefit from an LSD and wondered if it actually did have one.

You absolutely can shift into centre locked on the fly. It is a feature of the vehicle. You will not break the transfer box. I would only do it in a straight line though. I have had 3 cruisers and shift on the fly regularly. Neither the 120 nor the predecessor, the Colorado has a front diff lock. Guys, check your manuals.

Trust me on this one.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand to be corrected
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: