All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Lack of knowledge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right. I do with that we had a little more choice at times. I would have liked a higher spec but I didn't want leather and you simply can't de-select that. Nice to have a 5 but with a rear diff loc option.

Hey ho. As you say, damn good cars nonetheless.

LC
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 17:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

120man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be done if something like ARB air lockers are fitted. About £550 ish IIRC . Can thus have front, centre & rear diff locks on an LC120

Now the brake effect "diff locks" are OK up to a point (and to be fair a point which is perfectly suitable for 98% of users) but when you hit stuff like this really do not want to be working against your own brakes!

http://www.arb.com.au/arb-air-locker-video.php
100rob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ARB video 120man.  I reckon the only weakness with my LC100 is the lack of a front diff lock, an ARB front locker is already on my (long and expensive!) shopping list! Rob.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front drive train of the 120 is not very different from the 90 (having had both) fitting a rear locker is one thing, but as the front is not a solid axle, fitting the front is likely to be a strip out job - probably not for the DIY enthusiast. I have had costings of about a grand not including the compressor. If someone is offering one fitted at a good price, I would certainly be interested my self. But I spent this much on a winch and bar. Full locks will STILL only get you so far. When you're stuck - you're stuck!

Let me know if there are some good deals around.

LC
thor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just go back to my whooooowing noise, I am getting a little concerned.....I have had the vehicle for a few weeks now, so I am hearing different sounds, basically I am getting used to the different sound of my new vehicle.  I have noticed that when gears are engaged and moving off the noise is obviously more noticeable and is more apparent [I am not saying it's screaming just noticeable] when driven sedately as opposed to clogging it, so could this be a whine from the Auto box  Question  Because if I blip the accelerator [when stationary]it does not sound the same type of whine or whoooooo Shocked
I am obviously considering taking along to the Toyota garage to see if they can shed light on it.
But before I do, I thought I would get some sound info from here first.

Thing is I bought the vehicle at a Honda garage.....they just smile and try and be nice.....but I need firm answers here obviously.
If it's the noise these trucks make I can live with that....just like the diesel clatter does not bother me in the slightest, just lets me know I am not deaf yet Laughing

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor, don't know if you read my previous post on the owl noise - but it only makes it when you are moving. The diesel clatter bothered me a good deal. But the hooting had me really frustrated. If you revved it up when stationery it did not make the noise. It was only when pulling away and under load (ie making the engine work) that I got the noise AND only when cold. Once warm there were no owls nor clatter.

Now as regards any noise from anywhere else - no. Certainly not the auto box. That sounds like something else. My guess is that it is still the owl problem. I'm sure that it's something to do with air, either being forced in or escaping out. Could be turbo related - possibly. Interestingly, messing around with that rubber cowl under the bonnet did make a difference.

I never tried popping the bonnet, but leaving it on the latch, and pulling away to see if a different airflow made a change.

LC
thor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher....yes I did read your previous, but because I tend to skip read, I had not absorbed it fully...oops!!, it is exactly as you say, only under load.........strange we will master it......I think Rolling Eyes

General Grabbers At2
Shovel
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

'They' reckon that Toyota is recognising the clatter issue now and it has been claimed that it is to do with the injectors. So, there is a fair bet that you may be able to squeeze something out of your local dealer on this one. Worth a try. Eh?
The hooting is something else - probably.

LC
120man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of your "whhhoooo" noise when could could easily be the transmission, being a function of the fluid flow through the box and torque converter when it is still cold. I get it on a very low level but only on cooler mornings and it goes away within a minute or two.

Also possible to get that type of noise from low fluid levels or rarely a partially blocker pick up filter. Former is easily checked but good job the the latter is not common because (depending on model) can be a real *beep* because have to drop the transmission pan and then sometimes the seal on it is not a gasket but a bead of special sealant that has to be replaced but only after you have painfully cleaned the old stuff off both faces!
thor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right guys....my car has been in the Honda Garage [where I bought it] for a couple of days re the whoooooooo noise, all credit to them, they have booked into the Toyota Garage next week for them to listen to the weird noise. but apparently I have been told that the guy at Toyota is not aware of any similar noise on these vehicles......so anyone out there who has first hand knowledge/proof before it goes into Toyota. I have already mentioned what Landcrusher and 120man wrote and I think this is what prompted them to seek other opinions with Toyota.
I have been without the vehicle for only two days and I missed driving it a great deal.......funny that.

General Grabbers At2
Shovel
thor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vehicle has been into Toyota today.......they say that everything is normal  Confused  they have checked out various bits n bobs and it is Okay.
I cannot say anything else other than I will have to get used to the mini siren or is it a little owl mmmmm not sure Rolling Eyes

General Grabbers At2
Shovel
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
The front drive train of the 120 is not very different from the 90 (having had both) fitting a rear locker is one thing, but as the front is not a solid axle, fitting the front is likely to be a strip out job - probably not for the DIY enthusiast. I have had costings of about a grand not including the compressor. If someone is offering one fitted at a good price, I would certainly be interested my self. But I spent this much on a winch and bar. Full locks will STILL only get you so far. When you're stuck - you're stuck!

Let me know if there are some good deals around.

LC
Hello Landcrusher,
I can see the front and rear ore different.
The front are live axle's where the rear are solid.

Just like you say.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UKV, not quite what I meant my friend. The back and front are indeed different, yes - but what I meant was that the front and back of your 120 are very similar to the front and back of my 90. Therefore my investigations into fitting as front locker would serve you equally well. Not saying that they would be the same part number, but I bet they're close. If I had to choose between an extra locker and a winch - for the same money - I'd go with a winch.

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: