2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

alarm question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Alarms, immobilisers and key fobs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordic venture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:30    Post subject: alarm question Reply with quote

i've a question regarding the car alarm on my colorado. i think it is a TVSS (?); is it possible to lock the car and de-activate the alarm ? i'm wondering if using the key to turn the lock would do it?

the reason i want to do this is that i'm taking a few ferries when on holiday and they ask drivers to disable their car alarms when parking on vehicle decks so they don't activate if the ship starts to roll about.

i've also noticed that behind the lower dash on the drivers side there is what appears to be a speaker with the alarm fixed to it. it's marked toyota tvss. on top of this there is a small rubber grommet and + and - markings. remove this grommet and there is a tiny screw. what does increasing or decreasing this change? it is default at its lowest position.

thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking with the key does not set the alarm, so you should be fine. The black box is the sensitivity control for the alarm, in relation, I think, to the smashed glass / arm thro' the window sensor. You could try this. When you open the the rear door, there is an electric motor that operates. On mine, this sets off the alarm. I like that, it means that anyone tries the door - it sounds. Try yours. Then try adjusting the + and - see if it makes a difference. It may be the overall sensitivity of the alarm. But it is do do with sensitivity of some sort. It is not as people think, the alarm ECU.
nordic venture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that LC. the adjustment screw is turned down as far as it will go. thanks for confirming that locking with the key doesn't enable the alarm. i'll go down this route when on-board.
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,t know what type mine is but it is all done with the fob. Press the close button once and the doors lock, indicaters flash quickley but alarm not set. Press the close button a second time the locks click again, the indicaters give one slow flashh and the alarm is set. Press the close button a third time, locks click, indicaters flash quickly and this time the motion sensors are set. The only down side is that when the alarm is armed you have to open the car with the fob. If you use the key the alarm will sound and the engine will not start.

If you use the key as landcrusher said this will not set the alarm.......I think it certanlly dosn't on mine. By the way mine is a 98 LWB 3.0td.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check, by the way, by winding the window down, locking the door and sticking your head in! I have no idea where the sensors are on a 90, but if you set the TVSS and stick your arm in through the window, all Hell breaks loose.

LC
Bosvark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble with my alarm, it just going off any time day or night. for the last month I only lock it with the key. I have disconnect the sensitivity sensor under the steering wheel but no joy. Does any one know where the siren location is , I had a good look in the engine bay but couldn't find any thing and nothing under the dash as well. Any ideas???? Mad
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the inner wing, behind the main battery on the off side. You can get to it if you take the side light out, or the wing liner.

Awesome on the intercooler there Boz.

LC
Bosvark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the alarm, what will this forum be with out YOU!!!!

Thanks Mate, I'm please with the out come so far, I still need to do a bit more testing and fiddling. But I realy think it's worh the money and efford.
HDJ80

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 13:48    Post subject: alarm question Reply with quote

bigyun wrote:
Don,t know what type mine is but it is all done with the fob. Press the close button once and the doors lock, indicaters flash quickley but alarm not set. Press the close button a second time the locks click again, the indicaters give one slow flashh and the alarm is set. Press the close button a third time, locks click, indicaters flash quickly and this time the motion sensors are set. The only down side is that when the alarm is armed you have to open the car with the fob. If you use the key the alarm will sound and the engine will not start.

If you use the key as landcrusher said this will not set the alarm.......I think it certanlly dosn't on mine. By the way mine is a 98 LWB 3.0td.

I've got a '98 model, has this got the VVT (or whatever it's called, I don't want to press the back button) alarm? Reason I ask I lock it with one press of the fob, then made the mistake after work of opening the drivers door with the key, alarm went off, but got me thinking if the battery/fob failed I'd still want my Cruiser to be able to drive away and with no alarm going! Seems pointless buying the best family of 4x4 if you can't use it because of a 99p battery.

Is there a way to disable the alarm? I can't be doing with them at all. Sad
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a transponder in the key. Take the car somewhere quiet, set the alarm off as before and try the key in the ignition. As it is a genuine key, I have a feeling that it may silence the alarm. Yes you can disable it. Or just lock it with the key. Probably easiest to disconnect the siren and leave everything else working so that you can lock the doors with the remote.

LC
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the TVSS document in my paperwork, it is for the TVSS IV-S.
Not sure if this of interest to anyon but here goes.....

It reckons ...

1. Disarm -  press unlock button once (hmm could've guessed that one) (hazard lights - flash twice)
2. Arm - With interior protection - press lock button once (hazard lights - one short flash)
3. Arm - Without interior protection - press lock button twice (first press - one short flash, second press - one long flash)

There bold warnings on every page as follows "When the system is armed, do not unlock and open the vehicle by the key method as this will sound the siren" Smile

The feature I am after is on page 5 -

Ignition controlled door lock / anti car-jacking feature
System will lock all doors automatically when the ignition is turned on, and unlock all doors when ignition is turned off.
and then the gem...... (This feature can be selected. Please ask your Toyota dealer) - doh...

Anyone know how to do this without shelling out the dosh??

Hope it's handy

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Alarms, immobilisers and key fobs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: