Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC alloy wheel problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith williams

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 16:41    Post subject: LC alloy wheel problem Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm new to the TLOCUK site and have joined primarily to try to sort out an ongoing problem with my landcruiser alloys.

There were no problems with my previous Colorado but when I purchased my first new model Landcruiser (LC3) in 2003 I had three replacement sets of alloys under warranty due to corrosion. I was in dispute with Toyota just out of my 3 year warranty because my third set of alloys began to corrode as well! The best that they would offer was a 50% discount on another replacement set. However, my local dealer enticed me to part-ex my vehicle for a new Landcruiser LC4 Invincible in Nov. 2007 and stated that Toyota had sorted out the alloy wheel problem. 12 months later, yes you've guessed it, the wheels on this new vehicle have started to corrode as well! This time Toyota have finally admitted that there id a problem with the manufacturing of these wheels and have issued a Technical Service Bulletin to Dealers to state the improvement they have made to the manufacturing of the alloys and will replace them free of charge to any owners still in warranty.

My problem is that my Toyota Dealer refuses to print out a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin (I think its number is B-7035 issued in March 2008) for me to use just in case I enter into another dispute with Toyota in over 12 months time when my warranty expires.

I will post this message elsewhere on the site also hoping that someone can help me to track down a copy of theT echnical Service Bulletin.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 16:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that sucks.
Do you have serious acid rain problem !
This is some thing new for me.
I haven't heard about the corrosion issue to the alloys
You must be talking about the standard 6 spoke , 17 inch fittment.
I am not one to wash my LC3, more than required.
I have never noticed any corrosion, to the inside or the outside of the wheels.
I changes all my tyres just few months ago, and had a good look at all the rims.
They all looked in good as new condition.
I know the previous owner did not replace they owned it from new.
My LC3 just turned 3 years old last week, and has almost 230,000 miles on the clock.
I wouldn't swap it for anything, reliability at its best.
120man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machined alloys with clear coat finish really are a daft choice for any 4x4 and in general really are not suited to any damp climate: even on road cars sooner or later they will all start to go (usually from around the wheel nut area because that takes the most frequent battering) Water gets under the finish and it turns milky before corrosion sets in and it lifts off. Part of the problem is that the coatings used were much softer than in the past because of the restriction on the use of certain solvents on environmental grounds.

That said, mine are OK after 3 1/2 years because they have never been exposed to those vile Alloy Wheel cleaning products (which, even if they shriek " No Harmful Acids!!!!!") all etch the surface finish to some extent and then the crud sticks on more firmly, which means you need to use more next time, which further etches the surface finish, etc,etc) and have been waxed each time the vehicle is cleaned. Also any scratches or dings get cleaned up and some clear coat but over the top ASAP.

When they are looking rough if Toyota will not cough up take them to a decent wheel refinisher (NOT the mobile one who really can only do cosmetics) have them stripped back to metal, any dings filled and then repainted in bright silver. You lose the machined look but get a wheel finish which is much tougher. Not really that expensive.
andy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little corrosion on my wheels on the 80 series, so got a wire brush on the drill, bit of primer and some halfords wheel paint, not perfect but a bit better than they were.

Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy.... I think that your repair is quite smart
120man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you do feel the need to use an alloy wheel cleaner, this is the best stuff I know of:

http://www.valetpro.co.uk/Products/Wheel+Cleaners+Protectors+and+Dressings/Bilberry+Safe+Wheel+Cleaner

Once you have got them really clean (this may require the use of tar remover and car body polish) apply this:

http://www.valetpro.co.uk/Products/Wheel+Cleaners+Protectors+and+Dressings/Collinite+845+-+Insulator+Wax

or something else to protect the surface. Autoglym Ultra Gloss Protection works fairly well and is easy to apply because you can brush it on. (just do not get it on the brake discs!  Shocked  )
thor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you may be interested........

http://www.getsmart-group.com/product_info.php/cPath/15/products_id/44?gclid=COnKl-HWoJUCFQ0yQgod9R2ijg

Smile  Smile

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: