NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Key Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick j

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 16:29    Post subject: Key Problems Reply with quote

Guys,
Has anyone ever had a problem with their key not opening the car? I even tried the spare and still nothing, both keys had batteries and the light still came on but nothing happened! after calling out a truck to take my car to a Toyota dealer it suddenly starting working again,  scary especially as I was not in the Uk at the time. My LC is a 55 plate so wondered if anyone else had a similar problem....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 16:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, worth checking your manual, but I think that this may be cured by pressing and holding both buttons together for 5 seconds. It may be that the keys get 'out of sync'. Of course could be something else entirely, but it's one solution.

LC
andy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was what happens at most Toyota main dealers, you pay them £50+ an hour and they do nothing Laughing

No seriously it could have been that you were near a transmitter which has been known to cause this sort of problem, once the vehicle is moved out of range the thing work ok.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
thor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly different but similar to what andy says.......I had a VW, I parked the vehicle on a car park next to shop [Wicks in Warrington for at least one person on here that knows the location] returned to vehicle pressed key fob do-da and nothing happened.....opened door with key, alarm went off, I then saw an electrical sub station nearby, I do not know why but I had a brain wave....I pushed the vehicle abut 30 yards along the car park and tried fob again and it worked....I could not believe it myself until some weeks later I returned to the car park and it did it again......[I had since been back on several occasions parking in the location I knew that the fob worked......it did not happen again and if I needed to park close to the store I just used the key no alarm.
Other cars I have owned are not affected......in this location.....but I suppose it's food for thought, where we park.

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
120man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens quite often in a supermarket car park near me. Remotes will only work properly if closer to car than normal and sometimes takes a number of goes to get any joy.

Just so happens that an office building alongside the car park has some pretty big mobile phone arrays on the roof. Local residents have raised the issue with the Council but they claim nothing they can do.
nick j

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy's
To be in a camp site in Spain and find your LC is not allowing you access is frightening!! especially if you have another 4 members of your family with you... touch wood it still has not happened again, we still have another 2 weeks over here though.......
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing a radio program where this problem with competing radio signals/interference was discussed. It covered all sorts of cars so not a Toyota problem exclusively.

The trick they suggested was holding the key just above the base of the windscreen when trying to unlock the car.

I have no first hand experience of this but in view of Nick's understandable concerns I thought it worth a mention.

Willy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Oslo for a while, No problems so far.
Let's hope it stays that way.
i do have the spare key with me.
I use it about once every 2 months, or when I remember, just to see it still opens and starts.
You will NOT want to pay for a service like that over here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: