4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Why two batteries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tysi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 17:02    Post subject: Why two batteries? Reply with quote

Just bought a LC4 4D Auto 2005, very nice. Only had it two days, but I think I am going to enjoy it! Bought it mostly to tow a caravan. I was surprised to find it had two batteries. There are obvious advantages, and I assume the main reason is to get you out of trouble if one battery fails, but can anyone tell me if the car uses both batteries during start up and running, or one at a time? And if one battery fails how will I know?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 17:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome.
there great ar'nt they !

I remember when I got mine.
I knew I was going to enjoy it right from the off.

Both batteries work together.
There is no switch or disconnection device to isolate either battery.
I think the advantage with 2 batteries is better weight, and easier positioning in the engine bay.
The 2 batteries give plenty of swing on the cold winter morning starts.

Don't forget the pictures, !

Graham
tysi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham! Had no time to take pictures yet. Will try towing with it tomorrow!
thor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

the two batteries would also be to assist in all the other equipment that would be fitted to an off road vehicle such as radio, spot lights, winches etc. one battery is of little use when all this other equipment is fitted.  Cool

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
thor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

thor wrote:
the two batteries would also be to assist in all the other equipment that would be fitted to an off road vehicle such as radio, spot lights, winches etc. one battery is of little use when all this other equipment is fitted.  Cool

also you can keep your eye on the battery state with the visual colour check located on top of the battery

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
nick j

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should enjoy towing with your LC, I have just returned from a trip to Spain where I covered 2800 miles towing with a roofbox a near 2 ton van. On the way down at an average 0f 60mph I achieved 24mpg. Returning was more like 70mph so it dropped to about 21.5mpg but overall an excelent towing vehicle. have fun..
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Landcruisers are 24v start. The batteries work in series when you turn the key and in parallel under normal running. Check your manual on jump starting with leads - it will tell you which battery to connect to. ie your main battery. Some are 12v but still have two batteries. This is like having one enormous 12v battery but twice the capacity behind it.

The issue with 24v start is that if one battery goes down, because you drain it or it fails - you can't start the car!

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure non of the 120 series are 24 volt start.
may be you are confused with another Land Cruiser series.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not confused at all. I said SOME of the Landcruisers are 24 volt. I did not say that the 120 were. But as this is an international forum, there are members who have international variants. Hence the need to check the manual on jump starting to make sure that it was 12 or 24 volt. Thought I'd been pretty clear.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not disputing your knowledge,
but I am sure all the 120's world wide are 12 volt start.

There may be other Land Cruisers that are 24 volt start, but I would like to see a standard 120 @ 24 volt start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: