4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Thinking about buying my first land cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fivestars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:04    Post subject: Thinking about buying my first land cruiser Reply with quote

Hi all,
      I am planning to buy an land cruiser to pull a caravan as our current car won't pull anything so I would be grateful if you could let me know what the kerb weight of your cars are. Also can you pass on any information on what to watch out for when buying one. I would only be able to afford a late 90s model.

Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2002 Amazon - that's the 100 model with a 4.2 litre turbo-charged diesel engine. It's got an automatic gearbox.

The 'official' kerb weight of the car is 2.6 tons but the actual 'as weighed' weight is just under 3. I use it to tow a heavy horsebox type trailer which weighs 1.9 tons empty and up to 3.5 tons full. The car does the job very well. Fuel consumption of the car is around 24mpg on its own but 15-18 when towing this trailer.

With a caravan, the car should cope very well. I would expect fuel consumption 18-20mpg when doing this unless you have an extremely large caravan.

I hope this is the sort of information you were looking for.

At present, the high fuel prices are discouraging owners of big 4X4 cars and the prices being asked are quite a lot lower than a year ago. A bit of haggling and you could get a bargain. There are petrol versions of most of the modern LandCruisers. The fuel consumption is higher than the diesel versions but they can be converted to LPG which offsets the higher consumption and brings down the running cost. Petrol versions are mostly automatic. The diesel versions can be obtained with a manual gearbox but the automatics cope very well with towing so don't be put off buying one (petrol or diesel).

Willy
nick j

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fivestars,
I currently have a 120 series Land Cruiser but prior to this I had a 1999 Colarado 3.0lt. I used it to tow our twin axle van and it was excellent. You wont go far wrong with a late 90's Diesel Land Cruiser Colorado.
Nick
olivergt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 80 series Amazon VX.  I have been nothing but impressed with it for the last year and a bit.

I don't tow the caravan regularly, but it makes very light work of it, also note that I don't need the extra mirrors on the LC as it is so wide, the normal door mirrors have good visibility around the van.

I also took the family, wife + 3 kids, down to the South of France recently in it. Now this is a journey I have done many times in different cars and the LC was by far the best at this kind of journey. Plenty of space for everyone to stretch out etc. Smooth as silk on the French Motorways. And the really important bit, still space for nearly 200 bottles of wine on the way back, even with all the luggage. I was impressed.

If you do end up getting one, I'm certain that you won't be disappointed.

Oliver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: