Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Auxiliary Lighting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 21:29    Post subject: Auxiliary Lighting Reply with quote

Guys, appreciate the benefit of your experience here. I have just fitted roof rack and typically decided that I need more lighting. Well, why not.

OK. I do like the best, whenever I can afford it - and in respect of lights, that top end does seem quite expensive. There are lights at £300 EACH!. Ok, not only out of my budget, but frankly beyond my needs too. This is only for fun and not competition or overlanding.

I have considered square and round and will probably go for square (rectangular) - maybe 2 driving and 2 fog?

At the bottom end we have Halfords and Ring at £20 per pair. We've dismissed the top end.

So - what can anyone recommend? I hate to set a price, but if we said, say, £150 region just for 4 lights, what can I get. Wipac, Lucas, Hella, Cibie all seem names I have seen or used before. E-bay always a good source, I know. I don't want cheap-tac with floppy tin brackets and lenses that let water in. Milner sell some nice looking chrome round ones at £40 pair. Just not sure about round.

So come on Guys, help me out here please.

LC
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 21:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run the ring rectangular on the roofrack of my Hiluxsurf. The light from them was good (position was an issue as it was too far back and got some glare from them through top of the windscreen and off my bullbar).

Good thing about the Ring ones is that they are cheap to replace if they get broken and the case is plastic so won't rust.

The expensive ones could be very expensive and painful to replace.

I would fit 4 Ring rectangular with the aim spread out to get the best coverage, you won't find a problem with the amount of light you get.
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either get very cheap ones. So when you smash them on a tree branch they do not cost a lot to replace. Or go for Light force that do not break.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle of the pack, Lucas- I have a pair of 20/20 round spots on the front of my cruiser, they must be 20 years old, served time on the front of my old Manta 400 rally car when new, (the only car I ever regret selling  Sad ) have also survived two other rally cars and several road cars, probably no longer available, also Cibie are good quality for the price, K.C Daylighter is another good reasonably priced light, what about making some kind of bar over /,around the lights to protect them?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so far everyone. I actually have a Lucas DX 80 on the back of my quad and it's survived a whole load of punishment. My local (and in a timewarp) auto electrical wholesaler has some new (well there were about 20 years ago) DX 80s at about £50 per pair. I could do worse I guess. I'd kinda like a mix of fog and driving though. I might have a look at the Milner round ones and see what they're like. From the picture they look well made.

They should be relatively out of the way on my new rack. If they get hit - it's too low!

Hmm

LC
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try Hella work lamps if you want a good spread of light. Their website is www.hella.com. We use the double bulb units at work that are fitted with two 55watt halogen bulbs. These would give you a good area of light over a wide band but no directional light like a spot light. Type in work lamps and you can choose from round, rectangular or oval or if you want to be really flash go for the h.i.d units.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at Milner lamps today. Not bad really. Good looking reflectors, but the bolt / joint won't go through 90 degrees so that they can be mounted on a vertical surface but point forward.

Next!

LC
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 21:01    Post subject: Lighting Reply with quote

Landcrusher,I like the ones on the trucks with the built in side lights,put your own colour of bulb in,saw some on e bay.

Lenny
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny, they arrived today. They are Britax L27s. Blue tinted glass (light is white) with sidelights. You must be a mind reader.

They're mounted and this weekend will be wired up in pairs. I have 2 Lucas DX 80 on the rear too.

LC
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:40    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

Landcrusher I am sure They will look the dogs bits Laughing

Lenny
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Lenny. Got them fitted juts before I went to Scotland this weekend. They do the biz. Nice and bright. They illuminate the bit in front of the vehicle that head lights sort of leave out. Hand for avoiding those big rocks. Fitted some to the rear as well for reversing up. Dead handy. Handy having a really ugly roof rack to fit them too.  Very Happy

LC
senekala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher

One question. Where/how did you run the wiring for the lamps?
Shayne
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a new fuse board and relay housing on the bulkhead and ran a live straight from the battery. Then I ran the feeds (paired lights) up the snorkel to the bar mounted on the front. I ran the rear wires actually through the frame of the rook rack. Neat - well I thought so. All the lights are directly earthed to the negative pole - not just anywhere on the body. Very simple task, but took ages. Working in the rain and the dark etc. Ran out of bits here and there. Must have been to Maplin 4 times.

Found a fantastic tool for crimping. I have those yellow, blue and red affairs, they are rubbish. Got a proper Lukar auto crimp tool that even crimps the insulation. Top job. Just as good as manufacturer and quick too.

LC
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions

Where did you get the Lukar crimping tool/how much?

And

What is the aerial on the roof rack for?

Just curious regarding the second item.

The LCOOL web site for Ozy folk is full of stuff relating to CB radios (or similar) and how to get a mobile phone which can call home from a point halfway to Alice. The relevance is that my home is in an area of mid-Norfolk where the mobile phone reception goes from good to nothing with distressing frequency (no pun intended). The Australians seem to rely on having an external aerial on the car - often mounted on the bull bar - which connects to the mobile. I wondered if your aerial was doing something similar.

Willy
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:02    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

Landcrusher the lights look SPOT on Laughing the rack looks very well how about a front picture with them all switched on.

Lenny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: