Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Axle twister 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 17:05    Post subject: Axle twister 1 Reply with quote

Hope I'm not abusing my privilledges here - there are quite a few pics, but I have reduced them in size and quality to hopefully make them less of a strain on your PC's.

I went out again and took these. This is with the new anti roll bar link set up. 30 mins work and £25. I don't have before and after, but I'm sure that when I tried this before I just lifted the rear leg right off the ground.

From behind

It's a steep little bank. I had difficulty getting out of the truck

Wheels were still firmly planted and there was no rocking  - they type you get when a wheel is trying to lift

Going back the other way, trying to find a way to just drop the front wheel and none of the others is not easy

Just trying to convey how much lean there was on the edge of the road

Plenty left I reckon too. See the next post for some interesting angles

My Missus would freak if she was inside. Well I don't have that good a history of keeping it on all four I suppose

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 17:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 17:15    Post subject: Axle twister 2 Reply with quote

OK. So when I got back, I thought about an old test that I had seen someone do with a Landrover. I tried it myself and struggled a little. So, I though I'd try it again with the new set up

Put two car ramps down on opposite corners and drive up them

You can see that the car is not that far off level even with this test

The rear link is not nearly as stretched as it used to be

You can see the opposite link through the chassis. It's well clear

Here's the front two links. You can see that one is in compression and the other in tension. Having a soft top bushing means that you squeeze all the movement out of it

Even at this angle, I can assure you that the front wheel was still very firmly on the ground. I could not move it by kicking or trying to turn it side to side

Here's a close up of the new link and the extra cup washers

in there
Bosvark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That look like a good amount of articulation there. wheels on the ground=more grip.
A little mod worth doing for just £25 Smile

The missus will feel alot more safe now, she just have to get use to the angle..... Wink
Bosvark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Blue start to look like an off- roader with BIG attetude! Twisted Evil

I would like to try this test as well, just need to get some ramps..

Are you going to fit some roof ligths?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bos. Well it would have been this weekend. But my local lorry dealer didn't have a full set. I may go for the Britax L27. They are really well made and a reasonable price. I cannot afford PIAA etc at £100 per light! I don't really want RING at £19.99 per pair. I could put some Lucas DX 80s on there as the Guy did have some of those. But if I broke one, there won't be any spare since they haven't made these for years. My dealer is trapped somewhere in the 1950's by the way. Brown warehouse coats and a lot of sucking through the teeth. They still see Phillips head screws as the Devil's work. Anyway. I have to ring them on Monday to see if they can get stock this side of the next millennium.

Just pondering wiring options. Will have wired as two pairs. So I could have two different pairs of lights actually. But 4 the same would look snazzy.

Yes. Little Blue is looking quite purposeful. You should see the one that I was with in Shropshire the other week. All stickered up with an ARB bumper. Really looked the dog's.

LC
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mods. In my view this was a very specific 90 series suspension modification - for other 90 users to follow, not pictures of 'my ride'. Stuck on this bit, not likely to attract much viewing IMHO. The problem with forums getting a slot for absolutely everything is that there is very little action on each thread and people lose interest. It's pretty quiet as it is.

Just my view, don't think it should have been moved. I certainly don't look in this section for vehicle mods.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you just fell off the road on the way back from the pub and thought you'd make us think it was on purpose  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me there's no pub up there. Just the Scoobyclinic. We are plagued by flippin' Scoobies blasting up and down to this place. It's fairly well known in the world of the pointless world of having a rally car to go to the shops in. Mind you, if you'd seen me trying to get in and out to take the photos you would think that I had been drinking. Next time I'll take a beer crate to stand on.

LC
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this web page:-

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/SwayBar.shtml

and thought it might be of interest.

The standard setup of the two anti-roll bars is a compromise to reduce the body roll on cornering while still allowing good wheel movement when off-road and trying to cope with very rough surfaces. The guy on the web site has used the quick release links to disconnect the sway bars (as he calls them) when off road. It means the anti-roll bars could be a bit stiffer for on-road driving and then disconnected when off-road so their extra stiffness isn't a problem.

Willy
Bosvark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disconnect idea is very good, but what I found doing that is finding a place to secure the sway bars too. Thats why I went the extended link route, a good compromise and you don't have to get your hands diry. Smile
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looked at the link. Interesting, but wondered how it would fare in an MOT. Once disconnected you do need to secure the anti roll bar too. These are not built like Jeeps. Have considered quick disconnects, not sure they will work. Very happy so far with the link modifications. Even if mods think that that this belongs here on Readers Drives. Maybe I should tint my windows.

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: