Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

TV 5th gear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Rabbets

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 18:39    Post subject: TV 5th gear. Reply with quote

I saw somewhere on this site about a frightening report on the TV programe 5th gear re; poor roadholding of 4x 4`s.I saw the programe which showed a LWB shogun being driven through a series of cones slalom style and nearly turning over very easily.I had allready had the misfortune to have been there twice and collected 2 T shirts in my shogun.Fortunately it was stolen shortly after as the security was similar spec to the roadholding.It was part time 4 wheel drive and the only vehicle I have ever driven in my 62 years which had negative feedback when you cornered hard.The thief is the only one in the world that deserves a medal.When I realised 80`s series had copied RR chassis and front suspension I went to see one and when the garage started up the 6 cylinder engine which I had never heard before I bought it and told him to turn the engine off so we could get the paperwork finished asap.I havn`t stopped grinning since 1999.

Frank
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 18:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have seen something similar on Top Gear as well regarding 4X4s and their handling limitations.  I am still a bit worried that I or the Misses are going to find ourselves in a situation where a major swerve looks like the best solution only to find that it isn't.

Having played with the tyre pressures, I am surprised how changing them by just 2-3psi changes the ride and handling - much more than with a normal saloon car. I think the improvement in handling when you increase the pressure is partly an illusion because - at the limit - it's the high centre of gravity and the relatively soft springs that will take over. The shock absorbers hold the car upright for a second or two and then its goodbye.

As a member of the Grumpy Old Men's Club, I like to drive at - shall we call it - a steady pace. I nearly lost my licence a few years ago when the point system came in and I had to be careful in order to keep on driving. I then realised that life was a lot nicer if I just let the world pass by while I plodded on. This suits the LC very well. Living in darkest Norfolk (and that's very dark), you can plod round the local lanes at 50 and not get shot at too often. When I visit the rest of the country, I am happy to set the cruise control to 58, or 65 on dual carriages roads and motorways. Apart from the smaller lorries, this keeps me out of the way of most of the trucks (56 limit now?).

I would still like to get a Caterham 7 or something similar to scoot about but I would probably kill myself inside a month. Failing eyesight, hearing and reaction times you could measure with an alarm clock just don't go with that sort of driving any more (ho hum)

I wonder if the law would allow me to have my car fitted with something like green number plates to show that I was old and slow - please pass quietly, driver nodding off!

Willy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: