NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

My first Landcruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 18:55    Post subject: My first Landcruiser Reply with quote

Ah ha i recently unearthed pictures from a tour in Australia back in 2003-4.

I bought this wagon off a fella who drove it into Perth from the country. Been in the same family since new. Its plate is from Coolgardie I've been told. It was my daily ride for about a year and a half no problems other than new battery, glow plugs, brake pads, couple of new tyres (due to bad driving) I drove it around most of Western Australia then across to Sydney. were i regret selling it, instead of shipping it back to Europe.

Oh yeah it had a nick name the "Rubber Duck", there was even a backpacker poem for it all i can remember is "its yellow and white and drives like sh'?e"

under a large satelitte dish in Carnavon WA.

top of imaginatively named Mount Nameless.

what bullbars are for.

camping illegally in a ski resort carpark in Victoria. -6degrees. the door rubbers disintegrated when opened.

Pink lake near Gregory WA. some cleverdick harvests the pink algea in the salt saturated lake to use as pigment.

Been rescued from a misadventure into the Snowy Mountains with roadtyres

another misadventure again with road tyres on a beach near Launcelin WA (day after Ireland beat Australia/england?? -cannae remember- in rugby)

the outback. where a big troopie belongs.

in the jungle.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 18:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Graham Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Sean.
Thought I would add these ones taken at the entrance to Wadi Rum in Jordan.
Real workhorses...

The first in one direction...

The second in the other direction...

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer
Sean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

good piccie
is n933nda your truckasurus?
looks like theres a good story behind how it got there.

i see theres a minging Nissan in the line up, theyr right cruddy things to service.

perhaps this thread should be best tojo/location photo

come one peeps lets try and out do each others photos
spackrackman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 23:05    Post subject: My first Land cruiser Reply with quote

Awsome pics from Oz, Unfortuantly when I was out there I did not know that the 40's series existed and so must have overlooked them all in my 35 thousand Km of driving.  I had a Nissan Urvan!  followed by a v8 70's gold merc and then a holden kingswood. Yep you should have sent yours back it looks awsome and you get very attached when you live in them for so long. We looked into bringing our Mercedes back but being a back packer the cost was out of our world.   Anyway since then I have imported a land cruiser from OZ and love it. When I next get the chance to go out there I intend to send another one back! and lots of parts

My 1st Land cruiser

My new one bought like this just before chirstmas

and my ones from OZ just for the hell of it: My Urvan.

My Kingswood I think 1976

and finially my gold 79 v8 Mercedes

god I love Australia!
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new toy. Is it a 4x4x6x6?

Can you tell us about it and progress to it being on the road (as a 4x4)?

Willy
spackrackman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Willy.

Well I have bought it as you see it there along with three boxes of bits, a roll cage with soft top and Bikini top, seats, half doors and a windscreen. I am now waiting for the weather to get better as my cow shed come workshop is freezing!  Things to be done are... locate everything on the bulkhead, it has been swapped over to right hand drive and all the holes filled on the left but no holes re created on the right so a bit of a blank canvas! I need to sort out a steering column and connect it to the power steering conversion. Plumb the brakes in as its had a disc converstion. Fit the windscreen and doors. oh and track down a wiring loom or I may get an FJ40 one from the states and add in a Glow plug circuit.

loads but the chassis is done and so in the engine, suspension and wheels

Actually a question to anyone reading this.  Did the bonnet depths change over the years. I have a early 80's bonnet and when its sat on the bulkhead there is a large gap when its shut. I keep meaning to contact the makers of the aluminum parts but I would have thought they would have got the dimensions right.

Not a great issue at the moment.

So now I need some patience, some good weather and a lesson in spraying!
spackrackman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

How old are your children when you went on your travels?  Will have a better look though your website tonight, I have two little girls and sometimes feel like all adventures are over now. Did they cope well with all the driving and camping? had you done shorter trips to get them used to it all?  Awsome effort!  I must pick your brains one day. Will start with europe 1st I think.

Jonnie
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

spackrackman wrote:
Graham,

How old are your children when you went on your travels?  Will have a better look though your website tonight, I have two little girls and sometimes feel like all adventures are over now. Did they cope well with all the driving and camping? had you done shorter trips to get them used to it all?  Awsome effort!  I must pick your brains one day. Will start with europe 1st I think.

Jonnie

Hi Jonnie

My children were 6 and 8 when we left. A perfect age...
We had no warm up trips, and prior to our departure a 2.5 hr journey was considered long. Shocked
We had music Cd's only, NO DVD's.. and the children adapted within 2 weeks.
They loved it as much as we did.
I highly recommend it... Very Happy

I like your cruiser...

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer
spackrackman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just showing my girlfriend some pictures from your travels to inspire her. I may have to quiz you in a few years time!!! Where did you get your Desert Wolf from and how much are they? I am guessing a few thousand..  Are you planning another trip like this? are your children still keen?

Brilliant.
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 23:53    Post subject: Re: My first Land cruiser Reply with quote

[quote="spackrackman"]

My new one bought like this just before chirstmas

quote]

Nice to see a happy camper.

I toyed with the idea of that aluminum one, but dont have place to store it/work on it, I need an excuse to go back to Australia and Im about to start a job (with a brand new hilux) at the very top of Norway, way above the arctic circle .  This job in Norway ties in with a notion to tour scandanavia in my 1990 troop carrier. I will likely fit a truck cab heater in the back.

im not sure of the bonnet depths, i notice on the american websites that sale new body parts they stress about what year your machine is. check with the original panel manufacturer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: