Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

heater goes cool when idling on 100 amazon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markthespark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 18:24    Post subject: heater goes cool when idling on 100 amazon Reply with quote

Hi guys, dont know if anyone can give me some advice but i was out in the cruiser today and i noticed (mainly because its -2) where i am that when i take my foot off the go pedal or i am sitting at lights the heater, which is on as hot a it can go, start pumping out cold air. As soon as you put your foot down again the heater works properly. this happens whether A/C is on or off.

It only seems to do it with the front system, the rear system seems to work fine.

i would appricate any thoughts, especally as its so cold at the moment and im frightened of getting frost bite in my feet when the lights turn red.

All the best
Mark the Spark

Incidentally anyone know how to get the wing mirror glass out of the door mirrors?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 18:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 choices, either you're a little low on coolant or you motor is so efficient that it doesnt produce a lot of waste energy (heat) at idle, hence the 'idle up' button on the 90's (dont know about the 100's.

Just to confuse things, it could also be a knackered viscous fan coupling, meaning that you're fan is locked up all the time, hence over cooling the engine
Nor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too little coolant. Need airing.
Could have been a bad pump but then you would also see overheating problems.

For the mirror, try a hammer Laughing
No, seriously, I checked the manual but couldn't find it.  Will check the paper verision.
markthespark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dead right guys. the coolantwas running low. i have topped it up and it was fine. theproblem i have no wis that it keeps loosing coolant. Not much but i have to top it up every three days or so.

Do any of you have any experience of 4.7 amazons loosing coolant. some one mentioned the radiator cap spring may be worn but i cant seem to see any steam coming from anywhere when hot. also i cant see any drips on the floor.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Markthespark
Nor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4.2 diesel myself, but from reading on Mud, it looks like the pump starts leaking somewhere above 100 k miles.  Some people just change it regularly when they change the timing belt.
Look at the little drain hole (weep hole?) under the WP bearing next time you're in there. You will see traces of any leak.
markthespark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor,

Sorry mate WP bearing?? whats that? and where can i find it?
Nor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Pump bearing.
It starts wearing out, and thereby the seal gets worn, and starts letting out your coolant. Happens to all water cooled engines. (Unless they have a smarter pump set-up)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: