4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BJ40 body tub fabrication

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grenade
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 20:49    Post subject: BJ40 body tub fabrication Reply with quote

I need a body tub for my BJ40 restoration and I'm contemplating building it from scratch. I looked at all the options for getting a prefabricated tub from the US and the cost seems to justify just making one. I know the idea seems bonkers but drastic times call for drastic measures. Back of an envelope calculations suggest the raw materials (sheet aluminium, bars and welding rods) will come to about Ģ600, I need another Ģ500 worth of bending and welding tools I haven't already got and the rest is just time, which I seem to suddenly have lots of. The tubs from the US are $3500 plus shipping for an aluminium tub and more for steel.

Have any of you contemplated something like this before? Is there some fantastic gotcha that I'm being naive about?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 20:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rodger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major major task, have you got loads of experience in metal fabrication?

Try looking at www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/main.htm  Drop down the list and look at how this guy did his rebuild.
Alternatively try looking at http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.roycreations.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D This is all f/glass but 40s built with his stuff finished the Dakar two years back.

I currently doing the rear quarters and rear sill on my truck and that's bad enough. Did the front apron and wings last year and I learnt a lot of new skills just to do that.

Keep us posted
Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear
grenade
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links Rodger. I am starting to grasp the size of the job. Much more thought required...
grenade
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, I haven't really got the skills for the job but I've now found a local steel fabricator who's willing to give it a go. The plan is to try to make new steel panels using the rusted tub as a guide. I intend to make two of each panel so that I can restore another one when I find another frame.

My current frame has a decent hard top, cowl, windshield, hood and fenders that can be repaired. The body tub, front floor panels, rear quarter panels and door bottoms are all rotten and have to be replaced.

If things don't pan out with the local fabricator then I'll most likely use realsteelcruiserparts. It's a shame the preassembled steel tubs from coolcruisers (http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/tubbodyfj40.html) are so pricy...
rodger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a german company does new door bottoms and rear panels. They might be worth a look, it may be cheaper than the American stuff.
They are at: http://www.autoblechteile.de/
If you end up using US stuff it's worth getting a US mail address (saves a lot on shipping costs). I have mine through Borderlinx. It also enables you to use US companies that don't export cos the shipping for them is in the USA.

Regards,
Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear
AB40

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 14:35    Post subject: Body Tubs Reply with quote

I have been looking around and the best tub is a tub made by a French Coach builder, 'TESEVEN'. It costs 3000 euro but this include the front cowl. Extreme bends (ebi) in vancouver are going to produce a steel 1/2 tub that is notched out for ambulance doors, this will cost in the region of $2200 candian. If anybody knows of any other place that does body tubs cheaper than this please reply.
grenade
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That Teseven find is a gem. Thank you.
AB40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

grenade wrote:
Wow! That Teseven find is a gem. Thank you.

Well, i was wondering if you tried to reach TESEVEN to get a price for parts, i have been trying a few times and have had no success. Has anybody else bought one of these bodies if so please make contact. Do you know of any other parts available in Europe ?

Cheers
grenade
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed him a detailed list of requirements but haven't heard back as yet...
PILGRIM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 17:48    Post subject: fj40 tub. Reply with quote

What kind of money are you looking at to spend on a tub,  we make new and i have a ton of old ones, i can arrange shipping to your door.

Thanks
Paul Pilgrim
Pilgrim Restorations TLC S.A
Costa Rica.
grenade
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Re: fj40 tub. Reply with quote

PILGRIM wrote:
we make new and i have a ton of old ones, i can arrange shipping to your door.

I've let mine go now. But I've heard very good things about your work with the 40's. I also got to see a fair few Costa Rican 40's when I was there last year and I know that most of them get looked after.
PILGRIM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,
Shame you got rid of yours,  let me know if I can help in the future, wether it be a 25 ,40,45 i have a few nice 55īs that need new homes too.
LCīs and old land rovers are the only trucks that are still on the roads here after 30-40 years,  nothing else really can take the rotten roads..
All the best.
Paul.
PILGRIM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

just made this one, nearly finished, all new metal 1HZ tURBO, 4 discīs,power,air and leather.
Paul.
PILGRIM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one ,all new body..coils,leather,air, power.discīs 17inch rims on 33īs..
This is what we do best.
ps excuse date on photoīs..taken in November this year, comming back in for service.
Paul.
PILGRIM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW TROOPY UNDERWAY WITH BI FOLDS..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: