Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

We've bought it BUT...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:31    Post subject: We've bought it BUT... Reply with quote

morning all,

well we ended buying it but we are now concerned as to what exactly we have bought!!

Sold as GX 4.2 1999, GX on V5 but it has the self-levelling suspension, elec sunroof & seats, electric steering column with memory settings for 2, leather interior, badged as a VX.
We are very confused. We have been told that these options may have been added at time of purchase/order but surely it would have been easier to buy a VX!!!

We was wondering whether it was worth trying to contact the selling dealer and asking them...not sure how much info they can give or be willing to help.

Anybody got any ideas?????

Other than its misplaced identity....she's a beauty!!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

carmellajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gone through all the paperwork/service book etc and the original service book with the vehicles details state VX. Could it be that DVLA have made a mistake on the V5??
Am going to give Toyota  a call tomorrow and confirm things if I can
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done a check with HPI or similar? That should give you an idea of the car's history and if it has been subject to some dodgy paperwork.

Willy
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it checked out all ok but it states GX but then it would because they obtain their info from DVLA. I think our only option is to contact a). Toyota GB (The selling dealer is no more!)
b). then DVLA
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are happy with the car, why worry about the GX vs VX issue?

If the car had been put together out of several broken ones I can see it might be upsetting but the HPI check should have covered that. If the dealer you bought it from is no more then you are not going to be able to return it. Just be grateful for all the nice VX type toys.

The only potential problem would be if you wanted to sell it. Any potential buyer might have doubts about the car's history (as you are having now). However, keep the car till the wheels fall off and that won't be a problem.

Willy
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were just wondering about the insurance though, insure as a VX or GX ?? We are told that this WILL make a difference to cost
24Seven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few 100's advertised as GX then when reading the spec it sounded like a VX. I always thought the seller was confused but maybe not then.

I would as you say contact a Toyota Dealer and see what they say it is.
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the trim badging - i.e. GX or VX makes a difference to insurance then I would go for the GX route (I assume that is cheaper).  As WW says, why worry it is only badges and electrical gizmos to go wrong Very Happy  
Does the VIN plate not also indicate the trim level?  IIRC they do on most LCs (but I am not familiar with UK spec ones).  That would clear up any lingering doubts I reckon.  If you post it up here someone should be able to decode it for you...

Hope the car does well for you and you get a good run from it.  
Gil
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VIN plate should definately show the trim level.

IMHO I think the vehicle is a VX. Has it got Leather seats. It would be cost prohibitive to have added all the VX items as options to a GX rather than specing a VX in the first place. Only other thing would be that the owner bought a scrap VX and changed over the parts - big job, changing the suspension to the active suspension would be a major undertaking in the first plus the interior changover would be a right bu**er.
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep its got fantastic heated leather seats!   Laughing
joinerman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the VIN plate will settle this, mine on my 80 series VX says that the trim is LB 10  the last five letters on the model code are RNPGX
ChrisC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:28    Post subject: Spec Reply with quote

Could be GX or VX, but go by whats on the VIN or Log book, if you contradict this with the insurance co and they find out later they willl use it to wriggle out of paying.

If it looks like its a VX/GX from VIN and logbook says different check with Toyota GB by quoting VIN, if confirm it is wrong get DVLA to change it, but prob not worth the bother.

Chris
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me the VIN and I'll see what it says in the parts catalogue.

Failing that call your local dealer and give them the reg number, they should be able to tell from that.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the dvla only get their info from the local dealer when the car is 1st registered. you may just fint that ther person at the dealer just wrote the wrong thing in the box..

Dont stress about it. If it's badged as a VX & looks like a VX then chances are that it is a VX. Write the dvla a nice letter explaining thier mistake enclosing as much supporting documentation as you have. As far as insurance, it's a VX.

How do I know?  I bought a 525 bmw a while back. Log book said it was an estate. When i rang for insurance quote, they did their usual dvla lookup & told me it was an estate. I expalined that it wasnt, they said no problem as the dvla get it wrong all the time. Insured as a saloon.  Wrote to dvla, they corrected & sent me a new logbook.
Only problem is that it can take years for the info to filter down to everyone who has a copy of the dlva database, so you will have to keep correcting part suppliers, new insurace companies etc.
carmellajade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS A VX!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: