Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bullbar??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 19:58    Post subject: Bullbar?? Reply with quote

Well now we've got our baby, we want to dress her up!!
Can anyone recommend a company that sells bullbars for the Landcruiser 100.
On our last Lancruiser 80 we had a wrap around bullbar and it really made the car look a beast and now we're looking at our new arrival thinking, it drives and sounds like a beast but the front of the car looks abit bland...or is it just us!!!

Anyway, if anyone could recommend a company that does these at a reasonable price (We know we're asking alot now!)
please let us know

cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 19:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lennytoyota

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 0:53    Post subject: bull bar Reply with quote

Can any of these help,

http://www.formula4.co.uk/404error.html

http://www.4x4at.com/product_details.php?PageNo=2&id=133&catid=2

http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/toyota-c-22.html?osCsid=c03e856677573e80b7efc62380c8f231

Lenny
ChrisC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24    Post subject: Bullbar Reply with quote

Try

TBR - www.tbruk.co.uk

Footloose4x4

OEC 4x4

Frogs Island
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to spoil the party but the is an EU ban on 'Non-Compliant Metal Bull Bars' as from May 2007. The ban is implemented in UK law covering - basically - metal bars. Some cars have squidgy foam plastic and rubber bits on the front but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

I think that cars fitted with bars before the ban could claim a concession to continue using them. If you Google bullbars and law you will get a load of web sites with the details.

The shops listed by Chris and Lenny can probably give you the full story as they won't want any problems (for you or them) but you may find your choice is very limited.

Willy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:36    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Reply with quote

ChrisC wrote:
Try

TBR - www.tbruk.co.uk

Footloose4x4

OEC 4x4

Frogs Island
TBR has wrong linky !

try

http://www.tbruk.com/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=front.html
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to TBR - they will supply and fit for you.  The EU law is a non-starter, something to do with the vehicle needing to be pedestrian-law compliant, and so far only 2 vehicles are, or something - ones a RAV4, dunno what the other one is.  So try and see, I suppose.  ASFIR also seem to make a pretty nice bar.
gilghana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone provide more clarification on this law?  I am currently in the process of basically remaking an old home made bar for the Troopster, now this is not some glorified light bar but a proper contraption with a weight of about 40kgs, made from old steam super heater pipes and other assorted scrap and designed with one purpose only - to bounce errant wildlife back into the bush and not into my radiator.  Now where I live at the moment it's not an issue, but if I was back in the UK?  All the reading I could find refers to bought bullbars, so where does the law stand on one made yourself...  To be honest nowhere can I find this law. Google eventually spat out this classic which is a website apparently for people that like living in France:

"A neighbour has fitted the most horrendous home made bullbars to his utility vehicle which with three young children bombing around on their pushbikes i'm a bit uncomfortable with.
Are these legal and in the event of an accident is he insured as being home made i presume they do not conform to EU standards.
Best
Neil"

Had me chortling at the thought of my "ghetto bar" being pointed to by some chump while he asks me if it conforms to EU standards.  So far about the only decent "standard" I have come across relates to Bavarian beer brewing - and even that one is several hundred years old and pre-dates all this malarky.  Okay, sorry, wandering a bit here!
Anyone really know their law?
Gil
jojo1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 22:07    Post subject: Bullbar for Troopie Reply with quote

Hi Gil,

Just fitted a TJM winch bumper to my troopie. No bull bar bits as the law in the UK is still unclear an I need to use the vehicle now. Sourced it from OEC.

Regards,

Jojo
gilghana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jojo - seems it really is a bit hazy!  Oh well, a cut-off disk is not that big a deal...  but it would be a shame to lose my 50 year old super heater pipes which have real history behind them.  The brits basically carved this place out of the jungle and installed some babcock boilers way back when.  When we changed the super heaters some of it went into my bullbar.  I also have a TJM on the 105, but there is not much history attached to that Sad
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gil,

Having seen many boiler superheaters, I have a very good image of the bar.

Rhino's and elephants come to mind !
gilghana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow's afternoon task is sorted as this is sitting in the w/shop drying:

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gil

When are you going to do the Rhino test? (Can I watch?)

My earlier comment about EU law was a local thing. There are a lot of bars fitted to cars (and vans) here which will never see anything wilder than Richmond Park on a Sunday afternoon.

If you live and drive in the sort of conditions which you probably face every week (every day?) I can understand that you want to have the equipment to cope with them. But in this part of the world, I can't see the need for a reinforced/heavy front end.

Having just driven up a rather muddy track with the car sliding into every pothole I can see the need for a winch if you want to go further 'off-road'. And then you need a heavy bumper to support the winch. But the rest of the ironmongery looks a little out of place in this neighbourhood.

(hides under bed and waits for assault with heavy weapons)

Willy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here is a bit of a puzzle,
Norway, considered one of the safest places in the world, 'nanny state' and all that.
Yet there are thousands of vans, 4x4, 's etc, with 'proper' front bars.
Here is a 'tongue in cheek' picture, but really, the Elk, are huge!
Size of a bull !

Moose, just a bit smaller, and reindeer, quite small by comparrison.
Yet, because the Norwegians were smarter than us in UK, they opted not to join the EU.
Instaead, they went half way, and joined the EEA.
So in my mind, they have the best of both worlds.
They don't need to follow every stupid EU policy amd legislation, however, they can have as much trade as they want.
Bull bars are more than normal! and not a hint of rubber or foam padding in sight.
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Uk-vette

Where's all that snow gone then?  melted b****y quick   lol
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish,

It has snowed most of the day again today.
Due to snow 24 hours Saturday.

The ploughs really do a great job.
It's still good to go out and slide around a bit, but I am too worried about binning it !

Looking out the office window today, 3 floors up, overlooking the E163, and it is a regular sound now, the sound of 5 ploughs rumbeling past, one behind the other. !

Its a duel carriageway, so the snow is systematically thrown from from one side, all the way to the other, know what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: