Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LCOC North Wales 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Club events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dSIco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a fantastic weekend.  Will post some pics soon.

Big thank you to Paul for organising!

Discovered just how good the 70 series SWB Cruiser is, even on worn ATs!  Managed Happy Valley both ways, and the Bomb Hole too!

Excellent fun.

Si
1990 LJ70
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

The Lovely Boyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Great weekend - thanks to Paul for organising it.

Slight change of plan meant we didn't get to say goodbye to everyone on Sunday morning but hey....

Great craic on both nights - I gotta get myself a brazier - it was needed lol

Really nice to meet so many club members, cant wait for the next one!

Becky must have some great shots from the weekend - Dave get those pics uploaded.
Ray dadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Great weekend even if it was wet, windy, cold, and hale, freezing, damp, and overcast  Wink  

Anyway I’ve had a good weekend and it was good meet some of you, I have learnt a little welsh from Andrew and picked up some South African phrases.
Eaten loads as usual plus some extra bits like venison stew from Chris and a very tasty sausage from Gary .

I will defiantly be looking towards the next one

oh yes ,thanks to paul for organising the meet .even though he slept in a nice warm bed every night AT HOME  Wink  

Ray
brooky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 14:13    Post subject: Many Thanks!! Reply with quote

What a great weekend, great to meet so many nice people.

Special thanks to Paul for the routes, Matt and Andrew for leading the group,
and to Jon and Ray for the warmth in thier what became the hospitallity tent,
already on the list for the next meet is a bag of lump wood charcoal to repay you.  

Loved the Happy valley! what a lane and even Becky went silent for a min or two. Laughing

only suffered the loss of an after market Fog lamp in the bomb hole on strata.

Thanks again Dave and Bec.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Paul

The diff-lock on centre seems to be fully knackered, so off back to Toyota for fix-up next Monday - at least they fetch it and leave me a courtesy car  Laughing

The whole idea around the tyres was to see exactly what a completely standard vehicle could do - I've previously had a HiLux and 2 x 80 series cruisers (GX and GXL, both petrol).  All have eventually had BFGs on them, so yes, will be going for that solution sooner than later, especially now that we're starting to get out and about a bit.  So besides a slight driver error  Embarassed  in the deep hole with the front right, and pretty low ground clearance that I'm not going to be able to do anything about (TEMS) at least not until warranty is up, I was quite happy - and think that one area I needed the waffle boards to get through the clay on the river bank wouldn't have been a problem with centre diff locked.  Vehicle will be primarily kitted for over-landing (Morocco 2010 here we come  Laughing ) where massive traction and clearance isn't as much an issue control and load-carrying ability.  Although rear articulation withe the standard air suspension was prety good, IIRC. Still thinking of going down to 16" rims - tad hesitant about taking an angle-grinder to the calipers, though  Shocked

Enjoying the pics!!
24Seven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just worked out my mpg if anyone is interested.

I did 645 miles in total and used 148L which works out at 19.81 mpg

I drove home for 200 miles (ish) at 75-80 on the motorway and 50-80 for the rest.

On the plus side it did 215 miles using 40L = 24.43 mpg on the way there which I was doing a max speed of 70.
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Many thanks, Paul

The diff-lock on centre seems to be fully knackered, so off back to Toyota for fix-up next Monday - at least they fetch it and leave me a courtesy car  Laughing

The whole idea around the tyres was to see exactly what a completely standard vehicle could do - I've previously had a HiLux and 2 x 80 series cruisers (GX and GXL, both petrol).  All have eventually had BFGs on them, so yes, will be going for that solution sooner than later, especially now that we're starting to get out and about a bit.  So besides a slight driver error  Embarassed  in the deep hole with the front right, and pretty low ground clearance that I'm not going to be able to do anything about (TEMS) at least not until warranty is up, I was quite happy - and think that one area I needed the waffle boards to get through the clay on the river bank wouldn't have been a problem with centre diff locked.  Vehicle will be primarily kitted for over-landing (Morocco 2010 here we come  Laughing ) where massive traction and clearance isn't as much an issue control and load-carrying ability.  Although rear articulation withe the standard air suspension was prety good, IIRC. Still thinking of going down to 16" rims - tad hesitant about taking an angle-grinder to the calipers, though  Shocked

Enjoying the pics!!

No driver error, but yes with the diff lock working, coming out of the river would have been easer. I think down sizeing the rims is not needed, the ATs will be fine. Waffle boards are a great thing to carry.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

24Seven wrote:
Just worked out my mpg if anyone is interested.

I did 645 miles in total and used 148L which works out at 19.81 mpg

I drove home for 200 miles (ish) at 75-80 on the motorway and 50-80 for the rest.

On the plus side it did 215 miles using 40L = 24.43 mpg on the way there which I was doing a max speed of 70.

I get about 19 out of mine all the time, worked out over 4-5 full tanks of diesel. Not bad for a 4.2td and 35" tyres Smile

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get about 15mpg with the 36" Simex with mine and Ray's being pretty much identical cost at the filling station for the same miles so I think we can blame the Simex's. If I put the 37" road tyres on the consumption falls but I've never calculated mpg because they're never on long enough  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul:  yes, it is difficut taking photos of yourself and cruiser in action - so far my camera crew are co-operating but they are sometimes reluctant to get out of the warm cab Smile

Julian:  the weather on Saturday night was not really that bad.  We had some rain early in the evening - while pitching the tent - typical - and some wind during the night but overall it was alot better than we expected.  Was snug as a bug in the tent.  The light sprinkle of snow in the hills up at Wayfarer really was the icing on the cake, if you'll pardon the pun, it made for some spectacular views.

97 KZJ95, BFG AT 265/75/16's, OME suspension, split charge system, snorkel, storage system, a few scars and bruises
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

24Seven

I noticed you pop the bonnet in the morning presumaly to reconnect the starter battery.  I meant to come over to ask you at the time:  How have you found that system of isolating one of the batteries over night?  Have you used this system on other occasions?   I have fitted manual isolators similar to the ones in one of your earlier postings and used them this weekend for the first time.  Seems to be ok.  But I supose the question really is: would you trust such a system if you had to solo in a remote place like Morocco?

97 KZJ95, BFG AT 265/75/16's, OME suspension, split charge system, snorkel, storage system, a few scars and bruises
24Seven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed your question in that thread.

I would trust this system, I have used it lots of times now and monitored each battery with a voltmeter and can see the leisure battery drop over a period of time and the starter battery stays the same.

I have run a fused supply from the leisure battery in heavy duty cable to the rear of the LC and fitted a "Hella" type out-let which runs the fridge. The other nomal car out-lets have to have the ignition key in which is not ideal if you were in a dodgy area, I'm going to fit some more direct out-lets soon I think.

I don't like to cut into to orginal wiring and like the simple mechancal isolation.

It was a shame the weather was so poor and I was very hungover from the night before so we never really had the chance to chat Smile
landtoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 20:00    Post subject: thanks to paul Reply with quote

Big thanks to Paul for a fantastic day driving the lane’s in north Wales, the route was amazing with spectacular scenery, thanks to all for brilliant photos, sorry we missed out on meeting the others but as we all know it was a bit wet on Saturday night.
rob
mark whiteside

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 21:21    Post subject: shocker mount sheared Reply with quote

Hi jon
With ref to the shocker mount sheared
i am a bit gutted because when i carried out my lift i saw that the stub of the mount had been welded before and took for
granted it was a good weld but it has lasted for nearly a year
i have no upper adjustable rods
i think that because my rear locker does not work i was hitting things alot faster and harder than i should
plus still using up rated a/r/bars which are to hard and restrist axle movement
im still on a learning curve with my lift and its all trail and error

cheers
Mark
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we were pretty wasted by the evening.  In order to get to Bala for 9.00 we had had a very late night on Friday and an early morning start on Saturday, then had to pitch the tent in the rain as well as a canopy to cook under... never mind, its all part of the fun.

I have posted some questions under the Simple Dual Battery thread to avoid hijacking this one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Club events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: