4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BFG goodrich 265 65 R17

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 19:33    Post subject: BFG goodrich 265 65 R17 Reply with quote

Does anybody know where I can source BFG Goodrich all terrain 265 65 R17  in the UK I see they are now available in Australia but I have been only able to source the 70s over here
thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 19:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pom, is there any special reason why you don't take the easy option and go for the 265x70 x17 not the 65 series? I know that your question was specific, I'm just curious as to why 5% would make a difference to you. Were you looking for MT or AT? Not sure what sizes the Cooper STT come in, but they are another excellent tyre. They were impressive this weekend in Wales that's for sure. If it's stiffness that worries you, fear not, BFGs have much stronger sidewalls than std tires and compensate for the increase in aspect ratio without any problems.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land crusher is right, why do you want the 65 series?
Go for the 70 series.
Yor speedo will be 100% accurate then.
Also a little extra ride height.

'vette
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, Pom - read your post again, you did say All Terrains.

LC
pom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies chaps, My thoughts were that the 65s  would give a better on road ride than the 70s more akin to the dunlops which though limited offroad do provide a good ride on the blacktop.

Good forum guys, I had been using pradopoint in  Australia until I found you lot here, Its great to have a UK perspective.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for Cooper ATR or ST (Both All Terrain, ST is a bit more aggresive). Go for the 70 seres, will give softer on road ride than a 65 series. 65 series might give slightly better cornering but then we aren't talking a sports car.

You can get the Coopers from Tyrespec on line and get your local place to fit them.

ST in 265/70/17 is £137

ATR in 265/70/17 is £85.57
ATR in 265/65/17 is £96.76
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet you a pint that you won't be able to tell the difference between a 65 and a 70. You will definitely be able to tell the difference between and AT and a Dunlop Grandtrek, especially in the corners.

The AT is a phenomenally good tyre, in all conditions, I found. My MTs are a bit slippy slidey. You don't need anything too aggressive. There are several copies of the BFG AT - tread wise, but it's the triguard sidewalls that win for me.

LC
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at General AT2's while you are at it, just got some on my 80, so far I have been very impressed, the side walls are just as thick as BFG's , the tread is slightly more open and better at clearing in sticky mud , they are very good in snow, and yet quiet and smooth on the road, I was an absolute BFG convert , had them on landy's, rangies , hilux's , and my other 80, but I think the AT2 is at least as good, & better in some instance's, the only slight question may be if they last as long , time will tell.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

How're the General's holding up in the snow?

Still humming and hah-ing over wht tyres to go for BFG AT/ MT or Cooper ST / STTs.  Not convinced re the Grabbers yet...
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milners have a set of new Cooper ST 265 in 16" in their shop complete with some very nice alloys which are either genuine cruiser or at least a copy similar to the 120. They don't appear on the website, I don't think. I just happened to see them when I was in there. I think Carl said something like £550. That may have been ex vat, but I can't remember to be fair. But if you think that the tyres must be £100 - £110 each typically then for a set with alloys it's not a bad deal. Worth a call perhaps and a bit of a haggle. The looked very nice. Not flashy nonsense, just very sensible.

LC
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word for General AT2's in the snow- Awsome  Very Happy , I have never had a better snow tyre, last night in 6 inches of snow and almost white out conditions it was like driving on dry tarmac, honestly they were that good  Cool . The current Mrs Grimbo sat next to me , no comments , sharp intakes of breath, or passenger side brakeing action, we followed a friend in his 08 Range Rover that admitidly was on standard tyres and you could see it moving and wheel-spinning all over the place. When it stopped snowing so the vis was OK we were doing 45-50 mph with total security, even did a couple of hard almost emergency stops to try and find the limit of traction, no drama it just stopped.  10/10 General . They could be even better because you can put studs in them for icy roads.  Cool
The only down side I have found for the AT2's is my drive is covered in 20mm gravel, and that seems to be just the right size to stick in the tread, so my drive is gradualy ending up on the road  Evil or Very Mad , not a problem I had with BFG  AT's as the tread is slightly less open, but that is why the Generals outperform the BFG's in snow and mud I think.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbo wrote:
One word for General AT2's in the snow- Awsome  Very Happy , I have never had a better snow tyre, last night in 6 inches of snow and almost white out conditions it was like driving on dry tarmac, honestly they were that good  Cool . The current Mrs Grimbo sat next to me , no comments , sharp intakes of breath, or passenger side brakeing action, we followed a friend in his 08 Range Rover that admitidly was on standard tyres and you could see it moving and wheel-spinning all over the place. When it stopped snowing so the vis was OK we were doing 45-50 mph with total security, even did a couple of hard almost emergency stops to try and find the limit of traction, no drama it just stopped.  10/10 General . They could be even better because you can put studs in them for icy roads.  Cool
The only down side I have found for the AT2's is my drive is covered in 20mm gravel, and that seems to be just the right size to stick in the tread, so my drive is gradualy ending up on the road  Evil or Very Mad , not a problem I had with BFG  AT's as the tread is slightly less open, but that is why the Generals outperform the BFG's in snow and mud I think.
Whoa there !!
Have you tried BFG in snow ?
Not just 6 inches, thats not snow !
I am looking between 15 inches to 18 inches
Glad you put the 'I think' Generals outperform the BFG's in snow and mud I think.[/quote].

Man did I have fun here.
Totally chewed this car park up.

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that the difference between the BFG and General must be too small to measure. There are too many other variables - the vehicle, size, pressure, wear etc. I too have had the BFG ATs on a 90 LWB and I was staggered when I got out of the car onto the road to help a stranded motorist. I couldn't stand up! I'd been driving like it was dry tarmac. Absolutely incredible. Just been out with my Muddies on and I don't think that the snow is quite deep enough. I'm still riding on the road surface. As it gets deeper and I'm on snow only, I think that they will come into their own. But no doubt that the AT type pattern is a fantastic choice for ALL surface conditions.

One big advantage is the ability to lock that centre diff. It really stabilises the vehicle.

LC
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, had BFG's on at least 4 previous 4x4s , comparison is always difficult unless you can drive the same vehicle on the same road back to back, I do however stand by my comments, I'm not dissing the BFG , it is a very good tyre,I was a confirmed BFG fan and was going to buy them this time untill sold some Generals that were cheaper than BFG's and made the chap selling them to me less money than if he had sold me BFG's  which he still sells , he and his staff now all rate the General as at least as good as the BFG, with the one negative being maybe they wear out slightly quicker . I took their advice and am very pleased.
I repeat, I am not knocking the BFG AT , it is a very good tyre  however the General AT2 is a newer development of the AT type tyre so its reasonable to assume that General took the BFG - AT as the benchmark to aim their tyre at, and indeed to better it. Even General didn't get it right first time , hence the AT2.  Very Happy , BFG are probably working on the new AT that will push the BFG brand way in front of all others again, like us all the BFG -AT is maybe just begining to show its age when compared to a young upstart.  Smile
Totaly agree 6 inches isn't proper snow , wish we had as much as you do there , however a few inches has nearly brought the country to a halt, over a foot would cause total chaos .
Enjoy your snow, remember whatever ring of rubber that we ride on, we are all members of the Toyota 4x4 comunity. Very Happy  Very Happy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, BFG have had it there own way for a long time now.
All the others are catching up, and overtaking.
So long that they are making new treaded muddies.
So maybe new style A/T from BFG soon also.

Driving on the snow is easy peasy, 18 inches on the flat is easy, probably 24 inches would stop the cruiser.
Even in Low with rear dif locked and center diff locked.
You might have to take a 'run' at things.

What is hard is driving on the ice,
OMG,
NO STOPPING at all.
ABS,ABS,ABS,ABS, Coming into our close, is downhil, 'GLASS DOWNHILL'
It is very un nerving when the ABS just activates at the thought of pressing the brake pedal.
I must admit, there are a few more dented cars around here now, infact, quite a few more! but the 'cruiser isn't one of them.
I am talking roads you would not dare put a foot on.
seriously, no way on earth would you step foot on this road.

I went up to Tryvann, the local ski center in Oslo.
It's just about 600meters high, so snows there every day almost.
We went there last week, going up, the road was clear, almost like the ski center had cleaned the road, so to get the punters to the slopes, get some cash in.
Coming down was a nightmare for a few seconds, which seemed like hours.
Driving on the right, and I approach a right hand bend.
Well, lets just say, I am glad no one was comming up on the other side.
the 'cruiser gently slid for what seemed like 100 meters, forwards and side ways at the same time.
We were all just passengers.
Until it got grip again on the side of the road that had been cleared.
This was about 25mph.
For a few seconds I really thought I was going to 'bin' it.
This is why the roads are like glass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: