Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BFG goodrich 265 65 R17

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick j

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have done with them on Monday trying to get over the Cat & Fiddle.....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 18:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Arif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

This thread is extremely relevant to my query & next tyre choice:

Please can I have comments on Cooper STTs - 265/70 R17.

Running on Cooper Discoverer ATTs of the same size, I recently got stuck on a slight grassy, wet, muddy incline. I was used to having a Landrover before that always shod in BFG MT's (KM), and so thought nothing of pulling into this sort of terrain. The car wasn't 'sinking' into the mud at all, it was relatively firm ground,  but the tread had filled up completely, and was simply collecting 'melted ice-cream' sludge where the tyres were moving but going nowhere. I was only ever just letting the clutch up in Low-First - so no mad scrambling and making the situation worse!

In the end, had to be rescued by a passing Landie!!  If anyone discovers that they know the driver - please tell him I owe him a free website! In the fuss & flurry, I didn't think to offer anything more than profuse thanks! It was a black 110, Northants area, with the classic 'One life, live it' mantra above his rear door.

I know it's all a bit too theoretical as a post - but do you have an opinion on whether or not Cooper STTs would have thought nothing of the situation?  The soil was not 'clay' - but what I'd call normal churned-up turf mud.

I'm the first to appreciate that a bit of wet grass and enough of a slope can ground the best of us - but I'm knarked that my 120 was grounded in what I feel should have been a tractable situation.

Any help much appreciated!

Arif
thor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got them fitted today, to my surprise there appears little difference road noise, road holding appears okay, but they look good [boys n toys]  Very Happy

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
thor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also pleased to say my wife likes them....she says they feel better to her.

So far all the right boxes are being ticked.  Very Happy

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
Rick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing that they don't do considerably better than the Dunlops in all conditions.  And if I remember rightly they actually cost less than the Dunlops as well.  
You'll be well pleased with them.
Wait till it snows...
cir287

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
There's nothing that they don't do considerably better than the Dunlops in all conditions...

not altogether correct, a tyre that lasts 70k mls, needs to be pumped to 35psi + to get normal fuel economy and is great off road and in the snow will not grip as well on tarmac as the tyre that is constructed mainly for tarmac use, ie the Dunlop.
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why would you buy a Landcruiser and then put Generals on it if you only wanted it mainly for tarmac use?  And besides, the Generals feel even better on the tarmac anyway.  I had to do a particularly scary stop from a rather high speed on the motorway in the wet.  One of those real *beep* clenching moments and I was convinced we would rear end the car in front.  Not only did we not rear end anyone, but the LC virtually stood on it's bumper; the forces were incredible and I just kept waiting for the tyres to let go but they never did (I don't even remember the ABS coming on but I suppose it must have).  The Dunlops could probably have done the same but to be honest I was amazed that any tyre could perform as well as that.
I wouldn't let the tarmac thing worry you.
cir287

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

my "arguement" is that the Dunlop is not as bad a tyre as many are making it out to be. It depends what you want from a tyre, obviously if you are doing a lot of offroad you will want a more offroad bias tyre but with that come comprimises, the main one being that it will not perform as well on the road as something that is constructed more for road use.
I have no doubt that the BFG & Generals are good tyres but like the Dunlop and any other tyre they have conditions they are best suited to.

I bought my LC for a number of reasons, one being towing reasonably heavy loads. It does go off road reasonably often, both towing and on its own but I'm not getting into deep bottomless mud and my Dunlops cope quite well. The BFGs and Grabbers would no doubt cope better but I dont need it (so far !). the one place that always concerns me is emergency stops and swerves on wet tarmac. Overall I feel the Dunlop is the best compromise for me as I feel it out performs the two aformentioned tyres in this area.

and I put my money where my mouth is and got 4 new dunlops fitted on saturday, no they didnt transform the ride, handling or fuel economy, they feel pretty close to the old ones except in the wet where obviously the deeper thread works far better.

as I've said before thats just me and my requirements from a tyre, horses for courses and all that........
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying, though I assume that you did read my comments about an emergency stop on the motorway.
I presume that you must have tried either the Generals or the BFG against the Dunlops as a direct comparison under all conditions to be able to make the comments that you do.  I have.
cir287

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the comments, I did get to drive BFGs for a few mins on a cold, damp, leafy, off camber road where any tyre would struggle.
Every tyre has a range/band which it works within, some better than others. From personal experience I think the Dunlop has a different band width to that of the BFG or GG. All I believe are good tyres but one tyre cannot be all things to all people, it just does not happen, there are far too many parameters for one compound of rubber and one thread pattern to work with.

I have fitted the tyres that I think best suit the way I drive and the conditions I predominantly drive in. Each person needs to decide for themselves what is best for them and good constructive criticism can be very informative when deciding.

I’m on here to give whatever info I can and get whatever info I can, everyone has a point of view and I respect that. I’m not trying to stir agro, I just wanted to make a point which I think I’ve done and that’ll be my last word on it.
TR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grabber 265 65 17 AT2's appear to be now freely vailable.

Latest batch made week 41 look to have arrived at distributors last week

Had a set fitted yesterday , anyone interested in good used Dunlop AT20's ?
marlot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

cir287 wrote:
Rick wrote:
There's nothing that they don't do considerably better than the Dunlops in all conditions...

not altogether correct, a tyre that lasts 70k mls, needs to be pumped to 35psi + to get normal fuel economy and is great off road and in the snow will not grip as well on tarmac as the tyre that is constructed mainly for tarmac use, ie the Dunlop.

The OEM dunlops wear badly on the outer shoulders at the toyota recommended pressure - they too need to be run  at 34-35 psi

I'm very happy with my move to GG at2s - they've been on since jan/feb and have seen a bit of mud, a lot of towing and a couple of hard stops (one  genuine emergeny stop) with no undue drama.  Looking forward to the snow now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: