NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

50mm rear receiver

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 19:17    Post subject: 50mm rear receiver Reply with quote

'Ahh, another DIY job' I hear you say. Well why not. I wanted to change my rear towbar so that I wasn't always dragging my *ss everywhere I went. I need it to be there and low enough given the lift I have done, so that I can pull my quad trailer on the level. ARB make a very nice 50mm hitch (A 1080) but as you can imagine, it's not cheap. So I got my local guy - the one who made my sliders, to weld a section around the towbar for me. I used a std drop plate to make the adapter. He welded the box on. In all £80. Now all I need is a winch tray and my new TDS winch and I'm away. It's pretty robust engineering I have to say. Look out anyone who runs into me from behind.

Little Blue is never going to win any prizes for style, but it's certainly functional.

LC

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 19:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

The Lovely Boyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what's wrong with DIY? Its looking good - have you got any pics of it mounted on the back?

I'm a real big fan of receiver mounts, especially when it comes to winches. There are a few comanies that sell those trays. I like the way you mount your winch to the tray and only connect it to the receiver when needed. They are also available for the front bumper. So you can leave your heavy old winch in the house and only take it with you when off roading. And you get a front or rear mounted winch to suit your need.

a couple of examples here......

http://www.realtruck.com/winch_mounts/R110B251CD.html
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good chris. I think I'll be going the demountable reciever winch route on mine so it's useful to see other peoples solutions  Wink

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Pitch black and pouring last night once mounted. Will take daylight pics. It looks terrific! Well out of the way and very purposeful. Drop plates slides in a treat. I have to drill out the locking pin hole yet. As I don't have a commercial attachment yet, such as a shackle or winch tray, I've no idea where the hole needs to be. The one from Scrapiron Racing looks good - If I can just get them to answer the phone!

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Will take daylight pics.
Bigger pics please  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been toying around with doing the same on my 80.

I spoke to a towbar company the other day about it and allegedly you don't need approval for modified towbars on pre-'98 vehicles, however post '98 models the towbars need to go through an approval process which by all accounts isn't cheap.... so, if you go hacking your towbar on a post '98 model it will invalidate your insurance - something worth bearing mind.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth bearing in mind but it should only invalidate your insurance if you don't tell them about your modification but could still be an offense. It also depends what you're going to use it for e.g. for winching type approval won't be needed but for towing it might. I've not read the legislation but it may be that only commercialy supplied tow bars are subject to type approval.

Because I will tow 1800Kg on a semi regular basis and anything up to the 3500Kg limit occasionaly chances are for the rear of mine I'd import a receiver style hitch if a UK company can't supply one for legal reasons for my 01. My other option is 2 bars and swap them according to use.

Anyone got a link to the legislation to check for details?

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Brett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher,

could you post some bigger pictures please?

TIA

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Because I will tow 1800Kg on a semi regular basis and anything up to the 3500Kg limit occasionaly chances are for the rear of mine I'd import a receiver style hitch if a UK company can't supply one for legal reasons for my 01. My other option is 2 bars and swap them according to use.

My impression talking to http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/ is that the tow bars have to be approved for use in the UK so an imported one won't be good enough.

It's a bit of a pain and something that I would be keen to get line and verse of the law about it because most of the Kaymar/ARB rear bumper carriers have 2" receivers built in and it will be a pain if you can't use them.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds must think alike  Wink I also contacted watling because I know as well as front bars they can do custom rears and he did say that about an import to me as well. I also spoke to OEC about TJM rear bumpers and they don't do them with the receiver style hitch for this reason so you may find a similar problem with ARB and Kaymar when looking at them for post 98 vehicles. So far I've not read anything that suggests there's a loop hole and I'm reading that it's the fitting of the bar, not actually using it that means it has to be type approved so even having one just for mounting a winch and not towing with it is in theory an offense  Crying or Very sad

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Officer It was like that when I bought it... Oh I know, ignorance is no excuse. I have not cut into the bar by the way. The bar is exactly as it was when it left the factory. I have simply over-welded a receiver onto it. I though about cutting the bar and letting a section in and then decided against it. Some of this legislation is a minefield. But you can have one professionally fitted, then buy a drop plate (like the one I have used) and bolt it on yourself. You can buy towbars on the high street and fit them with no qualifications or checks. I have to admit that I'm not going to get too upset about this. The One fitted to my mate's SWB is almost exactly the same, made by ARB and suppled by Frog's. We'll have to see what we can turn up on this. But as I say, the 'bar' is commercial. Sorry about the tiny pics earlier. My app was set to different settings for making an avatar.

LC

ChrisC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 21:54    Post subject: Receiver type tow bars Reply with quote

Julian, Jon et al

do you know what the towing capacity of say a Kaymar or Arb 2" reci=eiver hitch is?

I suspected that on an 80 it wuld be 3000KG or 3 Tonne, but someone told me they are only rated to 1500kg??

Anyone have an answer?

THanks

Chris
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change in the way the load will act on your bar means the origional load calculations and testing are meaningless so I don't think the fact it started life as a tested bar helps at all from a legal PoV although it may make you more confident of its real world strength. Of course if you have a pre 98 truck the type approval stuff doesn't apply.

No idea what Kaymar or ARB rate their EU bars for or even if they have EU type approval. Did I read that a type approved bar must be capable of the vehicles rated tow, can't remember now I've read so much stuff! It's quite possible that bar your mate has shouldn't be fitted if he has a type approved vehicle. From what I've read the legal responsibility lies with the driver not the supplier.

Nearly forgot - even adding a drop plate will invalidate the type approval unless the bar testing allowed for one being fitted which apparently some 4x4 ones do and other don't.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's a '87 - 98. So's my mate's.

In practical terms, my quad and trailer are only 500kgs all in, so I'm happy that it's not going to come apart. Has anyone EVER heard of being taken to task over their towbar?

In terms of the calculations - I appreciate that. The old bar was essentially being twisted under load as the tow plate was lower than the bar itself. With the winch attached, there will be a much straighter pull on the bar and chassis.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Has anyone EVER heard of being taken to task over their towbar?
I haven't  Wink

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: