All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

50mm rear receiver

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mine is definitely pre Aug 98 I shall continue to sleep soundly. (for now).

Hope S doesn't mind me sharing this pic, but it clearly shows a type approval plate of some sort on the back of the bar. This is an ARB product.

Looks similar, huh. Wonder where I got the design?

LC
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, looks nice, time to go and look at the ARB site and see if I can spot a 100 series version.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 14:55    Post subject: Don't stop me now.. Reply with quote

Bitten as I am by the welding bug, I decided to make yet another implement for my receiver, this morning. Welded two sections of box together, then added the front section. It's double pass welded so I have no doubts over its strength.

Now, what's next..

Oh, the plastic hose is just my diff lock motor breather extension. Haven't poked it through the floor pan yet.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LC,

Is that the fuel tank ?

'vette
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Chris - ace fabricator as well as 90 guru...  Carving oneself a niche or two??  Wink

I'm going to be having a punt at a rear bumper soon & reckon that 50mm receiver will be a good inclusion.  Did you buy the receiver (how much & where from?) or did your fabricator knock it up for you?  I mean, all it is is a length of RHS with a doubler plate/square flange on the end...  

Does the 50mm size refer to the size of the section that slides into the receiver or is it the outside dimension of the receiver with a smaller section that slides inside?

Cheers amigo
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's not my tank. It's the tank protector. It's bolted to the chassis not the body, so when I liftyed the body, the skid plate didn't lift. Hey, now that I can weld .....
It's on my list of slice and dice. No big project.

The rear bar is a standard towsure product with a reliever welded around it. We took a piece of 50mm OD box, wrapped a sheet of tinfoil around to give clearance and then welded 10mm plate around that like a former. It is massively solid. There was a tow bar bracket on there of course which we just removed with the hot-spanner. There are a couple of fillets welded into the corners for straight, style and somewhere to hook the breakaway cable into. The flange is intended to be a nod to vehicle safety - the vehicle behind that is!! Since doing this, I haven't caught my ass on anything like I used to with the old bar. I have a range of balls and brackets and of course the rear winch that go in there. I could have an additional wheel carrier, BBQ, bike rack - but the next item is a sort of crane or derrick affair for hanging deer from to skin them in the field. It'll have a little hand winch on.

I didn't make it, my local guy did. I didn't have the ability then. I am still hampered by the fact that I cant cut thick steel plate. I need plasma or an old Oxy Acet rig.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
No, that's not my tank. It's the tank protector. It's bolted to the chassis not the body, so when I liftyed the body, the skid plate didn't lift. Hey, now that I can weld .....
It's on my list of slice and dice. No big project.

The rear bar is a standard towsure product with a reliever welded around it. We took a piece of 50mm OD box, wrapped a sheet of tinfoil around to give clearance and then welded 10mm plate around that like a former. It is massively solid. There was a tow bar bracket on there of course which we just removed with the hot-spanner. There are a couple of fillets welded into the corners for straight, style and somewhere to hook the breakaway cable into. The flange is intended to be a nod to vehicle safety - the vehicle behind that is!! Since doing this, I haven't caught my ass on anything like I used to with the old bar. I have a range of balls and brackets and of course the rear winch that go in there. I could have an additional wheel carrier, BBQ, bike rack - but the next item is a sort of crane or derrick affair for hanging deer from to skin them in the field. It'll have a little hand winch on.

I didn't make it, my local guy did. I didn't have the ability then. I am still hampered by the fact that I cant cut thick steel plate. I need plasma or an old Oxy Acet rig.

LC

So,

I have an idea,

I wonder if I got hold of a diesel tank, of a SWB 90 seies, I could mount it where your's is, presume mounted between the chassis rails  .

As an additional tank ?

What capacity is your tank ?

'vette
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LWB and shortie are the same tank. 90 litres. I know the 120 has its tank mounted in line under the passenger seats. There is a large space where the spare wheel can go. You could mount a sub tank there. There are probably sub tanks for the 120 in Oz. Fitting a 90 in there would be quite an engineering project I think. I would think that a rack and some cans would be a darn sight easier.
You have the added difficulty of filling it and of course, getting the fuel out of it into the main tank. I have thought about a sub tank, but now I have put my air receiver in there and, just a minute, oh, I live in a civilized Western country with fuel stations every mile! I have cans that I have never emptied!!!

Now going overland is a different matter and I gather that you are fancying inflicting yourself on some unsuspecting foreigners? I have no idea what the fuel availability is out there in the wilderness nor the quality. With poor roads comes high consumptions. Driving on sand for eg must be shocking. I have to say that I would be tempted to take at least a 5 lt clear can to run off a sample of fuel before filling up.

Anyway, Vette, I've never know you to back away from a challenge, so post some pics when you're done!!

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello LC,

On the roof ?
Naw, to much weight and effort lifting.

Well  that space at the rear, is quite huge, it was either a fuel tank, or a water tank.
I have seen some very nice strong looking rectangular PVC tanks for sale on 'bay

In the region of 80 litres.

So either buy additional fuel, where it is cheap, or a convenient shower water supply.
The range on the 120 is good enough for all my projected stints down to Cape Town.

My 120 will clear 500 miles loaded to the roof, so 400 in Africa at a guess is more than enough.

I do really like your rear receiver, in so much, I was going to snap a few images of my 'plough' and let you suggest what could be done with it.

And the kicker is, 'by you' !

Oh well, enough ramblings by me.

'vette
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote - And the kicker is, 'by you' !

Sorry you lost me at the last hurdle, Vette. Too subtle for me after 4 hours up the M1.
Eh?

LC

Post script - what? You want me to weld your hitch?  errrr....
PtP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receiver hitches are used extensively in the US. The most popular size is 2”, so if you purchase any US items expecting them to work with a 50mm system you have custom made, then think again! I’m told it’s impossible to buy any 2” internal tube to fabricate your own receiver in the UK these days and if you use 50mm then you limit yourself to custom made hitches etc. whereas if you start with a 2” receiver then you have loads of different options from the US suppliers. There are usually a few US 2” hitches and recovery attachments on the UK e bay.

There are different “classes” of receivers sold in the US – take a look at this link as it will explain it a lot easier than I can: http://www.hitchesonline.com/hitch_selection.htm

As from 27th April 2009 tow bars now form part of the MOT – have a look here: http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/Towbars%20at%20the%20MOT%20test.pdf
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there. Got the t shirt, read the threads.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Quote - And the kicker is, 'by you' !

Sorry you lost me at the last hurdle, Vette. Too subtle for me after 4 hours up the M1.
Eh?

LC

Post script - what? You want me to weld your hitch?  errrr....

Hey LC,

The last part was a pointer for me to bring the beer, and you to do a receiver job in place of the bloody big plough I have at the moment  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

4 hours M1, not nice Shocked

I have a trek from Warrington down to Holborn Viaduct to the Chinese embassy tomorrow  Sad

Visa time for Shanghai

'vette
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holbon, Mmm. Lovely.

Happy to help, but as I said, I don't really have the equipment to cut steel that thick. You can make it any size you want, 50mm or as Ptp said, 2" because you don't make it out of box, you make it from strip. I would think a local monkey could do this for you pretty easily. The ARB one is well over £300 by the way. If you can make your own attachments going with 50mm is better, if you can't then go 2" and buy them on the net.
The drop plate that I made is just a 10mm std drop plate with 50mm box welded to the back of it. These are like £90 to buy. A fiver to make.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Vette

Instead of a replacement receiver, why don't we go for one of these each?  Made by a guy I know in Cape Town!!

A whole replacement bumper, receiver built in.  Note the missing bumper light fittings (could be retro-fitted)

Some more:

Hmm - my wife's in Cape Town at the moment - maybe  I should get her to drive to Stikland and get me one  Wink  Laughing   I think the excess baggage coming back is going to be so bad, this will make no difference  Rolling Eyes  Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: