All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

In-Car computer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:

My swivel mount is just an ordinary VESA small format screen mount, one of these: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?id=ST01258 and I just modify the wall mounting part to suit.

Right, one of the mounts whisking it's way through the postal strike as we speak....
My only concern is making the bracket for it. My distinct lack of a welding machine (and the inability to convince the SWAMBO that it is needed for the already costly carputer) I am a bit limited.
I was thinking of an piece of 25mm ali flat bar which I can screw / pop rivet into the big tube running across the inside (Anything inside it before I drill into it??) and bend it into place of the lower radio mount. I can then fashion some way to T off it, through the hole and into the cab. Might end up flimsy though and not worth it...

Also with the clock sitting at T-1, my days being spent in the car are very limited...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use a self tapper or better still a rivnut, a rivet will be a PITA to 'adjust'  Laughing  Definately would be a lot easier with a welder and a bit of steel though. What's the diameter of that tube and how far is it from the tube to that lower radio mount?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Crispin is off doing 'Introduction to Fatherhood 101' at the maternity ward  Wink  Laughing  Shocked

Good luck Crispin - let us know who the next member of the club is!!  Laughing
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Since when did they arrive on time, bit like relying on a met office weather forcast!

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling there's been a very strict schedule being adhered to here  Laughing  Laughing MS Project has a bunch of tasks, deliverables, milestones and dependencies, and the plan was baselined, so it WILL all happen as scheduled  Laughing  Laughing  Razz
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrived! The bracket arrived in the post this morning after ordering it yesterday at about 4:30. Not bad at all!
On another note, this package also arrived but that's a different thread.

right, bracket: It's big. Looks very over engineered for what I want it for. Will give it a go though. Jon clearly used it well so...

Jon, if memory serves, it is about 40mm diameter and just behind the centre of the radio, running L-R.
Distance between it and the bottom radio mount is (again, if memory serves) about 200mm. Thinking about it, flat bar, especially ali, will flex to much. I might hunt around for a welder I can borrow for a weekend.

Jon, I guess you ground the spot welds on the back plate off and knocked through the U piece? Looks like the best thing to do.

Gary / Jon: I was indeed at the hospital this morning. Being a scheduled C-Section, there was little worry of any drawn out waiting. In at 10, out at 11. Bother mother and daughter will be back on Friday. Cram the last bits of carputer in before then (if only the new PSU would arrive...)
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
right, bracket: It's big. Looks very over engineered for what I want it for. Jon, I guess you ground the spot welds on the back plate off and knocked through the U piece? Looks like the best thing to do.
A lot of the bulk is plastic and once the wall plate is off it will seem much smaller. Yes, I cut through those welds with a thin disc in the grinder and then knocked the U piece out.

For mounting it, I'd think a 40mm length of 25x3mm steel bent to match the tube to make a foot with a spur of 25x3mm equal angle about 200mm long off it and then some more 25x3mm from the end of that down to the lower radio mount. I guess the monitor mounting point might need to be off the side of that to come out the middle of the side trim panel ? If you can't borrow a welder I can make some parts for you to experiment with and take it from there but it will be more long winded than doing it yourself.

Congratulations on the new arrival. Something tells me you're going to be a bit busy for this very soon  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer! As you say though, it may prove difficult.

I will strip it (the dahs) down again over the weekend and see (mental note: Take photos this time) what might work. I suspect anything other than angle iron or the "main" brace would have a lot of lateral vibration. Flat bar has not rigidity in it. While it might be easier, I would be wasting my time.

I might take a piece of angle and cut / bend it into shape to fit an "acquire" a baby oxy-acetylene torch (is a "normal" blow torch hot enough for brazing?)
I figure, I can reuse the torch as a baby milk heater and fund it from the baby fund. Mind you, a 90A welder would make a great induction heater Wink

Worst case I may accept your offer, in exchange for beer tokens, and make a trip out for a spot of welding together my concoction. Once a template is made, we can see one to Gary for huge profits to cover the R&D!

Time permitting the next few days I will have a rummage around in the dash again.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
Flat bar has not rigidity in it.
Depends how thick it is  Laughing  Garry posted a link to another thread with some pictures earlier in this thread, is yours like that?

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

you talking about this: Dash Strip
If so, yes. Same dash.

The tenth pic, where the screw next to the aircon controls is being undone, you can see the steel tube running behind the turquoise wire.
It is this screw and tube I wanted to pick up from. Having another look, it's not how I remember it. The tube is closer to the screw and also further back.

Ideally I would like to come out of the Passenger seatbelt sign (All I have is a silver blank).
If if turns out this is not ideal, I don't have a problem cutting a well placed hole in the silver bit. I could always pick up another from a breaker if I have to sell it.

Will strip it over the weekend and see some more...
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's the picture I've been using for reference. The models a bit rubbish but I thought something like this:

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you just showing off.....

Yes, that is what the model would look like. I will take it apart this weekend and take some photos and measurments.

For attaching to the tube, your model gvame me an idea: Make the collar (pale blue) you have a "C" collar and 10mm wider on each side of the strut. Line the collar with old inner tube, snap it over the tube and use a hose clamp (think you English folk call them Jubilee Clips) to secure the collar to the tube. No drilling needed, suspect it would be secure (maybe a drop of loctite) and it afford you some easy adjustment.

Everything just speculation for now. Will see over the weekend but your model is pretty much what is needed. I think the green piece would have to butt onto the dropped section.

On another note, the new PSU arrived today. 3 toys in 3 days. Luckly I only have to care for one of them...
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Your quick release on your mount - how did you do that? I would like similar.

On the build side, I got the PSU yesterday and a have that in and working. I had a small shopping list for maplin today which would allow me to finish the PC and close it up for good. Unfortunately while getting Olivia ready to come home, she started chocking on mucous. She stopped breathing, turned scarlet and rigid. Nurse grabbed her, held her like a rugby ball and sprinted down the corridor. After a bit of suction (and lots of gunk) and some oxygen she returned to normal.  Was not a nice experience and I could hardly leave Denise saying "I'm off to Maplin quick". All are ok now and being kept in overnight just in case.

If I can sneak away tomorrow then PC is ready to go into car.
As for the mount, I got some 10x15x1.5 angle iron, 10mm tube, a semi decent blow torch and some brazing rods. Had a play and while it takes a while to heat it to the point the brazing flows, it does get there.
So, I shall hopefully have something workable soon...

Will take pics as I go Smile Might even furnish some measurements.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
Your quick release on your mount - how did you do that? I would like similar.
It's just some 3/4" ali bar I milled a slot into and then drilled for the VESA hole spacing. I'm off on holiday either tomorrow afternoon or saturday morning but if you can wait a couple of weeks I'll make you some.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: