Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

xcarlink and B9000/TNS600

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marlot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 13:33    Post subject: xcarlink and B9000/TNS600 Reply with quote

Just installed an Xcarlink to my landcruiser b9000 (full screen satnav).  Took about 30 mins in total - dead easy.

Initial impressions - it works just fine.  Its a little strange having to put music into folders labelled CD01 etc, but you only need to do that at the top level - you can leave them in normal folders at the next level down.

If you're buying, you need the xcarlink with the newer 6+6 connector.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 13:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

marlot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few people ask about how easy it is to install.

I found it much easier than most other cars - it took about 30 mins to get the stereo out and get the thing wired up - and that's only because I was taking it slowly - I didn't want to damage any of the trims.

The best way is to go to this site:
http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/Aim.aspx?menuitem=2
and download the instructions for installing a TNS600 to a landcruiser - it tells you how the plastic trims come off, where to start etc.  

I mounted the xcarlink below the console with velcro - just above the heated seat switches, below the cigarette socket.

I use a Sony player so didn't go for the ipod version, but in practice I often use USB sticks - I have maybe 3 or 4 in the car with different music on them.  Its a little bit of a faff setting the USB sticks up, but you can have 99 tracks per 'CD' (and 6 'CD's on the stick.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlot, which LC120 have you as the LC5 system is significantly different to that in the LC3 and 4.
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it is the LC5 sat nav with ICE but rather "other" option. http://www.ae101.nl/fullmap/B9001/B9001-unit.jpg
Seen a lot of them in Rav4s and Hilux.

I've been looking for this type of thing for a while but for the cost, I think I would rather just replace my head unit. I have the lowly TNS300.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like LC4 system. LC5 sat nav is more integrated with touch screen. Not a bad system either. It's the ICE that complicates things, as usual. The main amp is under the passenger seat with DVD system for nav under driver seat
marlot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine's an LC4 with the full screen satnav.  I understand the xcarlink works with the turn-by-turn satnavs too.

I found the company to be very amenable - if it doesn't work with the LC5 they'd give you your money back I'm sure.  It just plugs into the CD changer socket (and there is a 'Y' cable available if you want to keep an existing CD changer).

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=11
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of the 'Y' cable, becasue the LC5 has a 6-disc shuttle in the cubby-hole - sorry - GLOVE BOX which I'd like to keep, but also want to plug in my iPod, so that may just be the solution...
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I've a query away to them about compatability. I'll post here with the response if you can hang on a bit. The LC5 is a bit more complicated with the touch screen controls and all.
NightStalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the xcarlink have a seperate loomb which you can put in the back of the LC5 system which gives you access to your cd changer and also the IPOD... Take alook on their website www.xcarlink.co.uk its pretty good...
Regards
Rob
Cool
NightStalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at the instructions, also had a quick look at the LCs layout and the trim. The trim seems quite solid... how hard is it to remove it, and whats the best tool to remove it with (if you dont have a trim removal tool...) a flat head screwdriver???

Regards
Rob
Cool
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim is easy to remove. Start at the end furthest from the dash (closest to the seat). I used a thin kitchen table knift. It fits the 'crack' available without marking the edges. One you have one piece removed it will pull off handy enough. Fairly self obvious when you get into it. All you need apart from the knife is a small set of sockets, 10mm I think.
NightStalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will take a closer look when I get my LC back. Getting suspension looked at and seperate key programmed...
Currently driving a Prius.... interesting drive... full of gadgetry... love the HUD... but still too small and visiblity is pants...

Regards
Rob
Cool
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like NC said, it is very simple to remove. You don't need a knife though.
Starting on the left sliver trim next to the T-case lever, pinch it between thumb and forefinger and pull up. Once you have a bit of height, you can get more purchase under it and it clips off. Very easy.

The parts going up along the radio are a bit more difficult. Once you have removed the 10mm screw at the bottom of the upright, grab the tab (You'll see it when you there). Do not pull on the tab though, get under it and pry it off. I am not convinced the tab will survive any pulling. This one is a big stiffer to get off. The air vents come along too so don't stress when they fall on your lap.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The parts going up along the radio are a bit more difficult. Once you have removed the 10mm screw at the bottom of the upright, grab the tab (You'll see it when you there). Do not pull on the tab though, get under it and pry it off. I am not convinced the tab will survive any pulling. This one is a big stiffer to get off. The air vents come along too so don't stress when they fall on your lap.

Good points. All reassembles simply enough anyway. Get the vac out when you're in there. Suprising how much rubbish and dust you'll find!
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to add, when you pull the upright strips out, sometimes the airvents half unclip. They still come with the strip but are not seated properly. Putting it back together was not obvious and things were not seating well.

Here is a thread from LCOOL: http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_series/Camera/camera.html
Easier to start at the bottom though as there is no prying needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: