Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacement head unit wiring query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 19:24    Post subject: Replacement head unit wiring query Reply with quote

Hi all,

HAving just got my LC5 120 series, I am thinking about updating the head unit to one that has integrated Bluetooth for phone use. I am not too sure if the Toyota/ISO converter cable available from the likes of Halfords will retain all the audio functions as there seems to be an amp under the passenger seat. The amp drives 9 speakers I think and I would like to keep that configuration. Physically swapping the units is easy enough.

Could anyone guide me to an audio wiring diagram bearing in mind that the car also has a DVD based sat nav system.  Very Happy  Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 19:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with the wiring for a replacement head unit but if you like the OEM setup why not just add bluetooth with something like a Bury CC9060 (www.thb-bury.co.uk) that integrates with your existing stereo? I've recently put one in my 100. Call quality and functionality is very good and you keep 100% of your OEM stereo functionality. I also have a Dension 100 gateway that gives me an ipod and aux input to the OEM head unit.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is not to add any other units on the dash. A bluetooth based headunit only requires the use of an exernal mic and some even have integral mics. The unit I am looking at is also fully iPod compatible and replaces the *beep* cassette based unit in the car. I'm not concerned about the 'originality' of the car at resale time but I can replace the original when the time comes.

Thanks anyway. I'll use a Parrot type kit if needs be but the above way is my preferred option for now.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right,

Finally have the phone thing sorted. I found a wiring diagram on this site Toyota Technical website and this confirmed that replacing the headunit was a bit of a non-starter if I din't want to loose amp facilities. I selected a Parrot MKi9200, reserved online with local Halfords. Say what you want about Halfords but their audio chap was very helpful and knew his stuff. There was a bit of a delay getting the Autolead I wanted but again through pure luck I found one in a local supplier. The only downside is that whilst it's iPod compatible it won't fully support my iPod Photo. I can use the headphone socket but I'd prefere the full functionality. So I might e bay my Ipod and replace it.

So onwards and upwards. Fitting this at the weekend. Should be easy enough. I'll bung in a few photos of the install if anyone is interested.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well an update. THe loom adapter recommended  Crying or Very sad is totally wrong (and SOT-062) so I am really no further on except to fit the handsfree mic and display unit. I'm waiting on the 'proper' lead to arrive tomorrow, an SOT-614. It deals with the fact that there is a separate amp in the car which the 062 doesn't. If the brake fixing job goes to plan I hope to get at that tomorrow evening.

More update to follow. At least I've learned how to take most of the car apart at this stage!  Wink
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the external amp (which I guess is under the front passenger seat?) have an auxiliary input facility, or spare input unit, or is it a dedicated amp for the existing head unit only, with no options for extension?

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dension 100 would give you a proper aux and ipod input, works very well in my 2001 100 series.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Does the external amp (which I guess is under the front passenger seat?) have an auxiliary input facility, or spare input unit, or is it a dedicated amp for the existing head unit only, with no options for extension?

Cheers

Yes, dedicated amp only, unfortunately. Anyway, I've sourced the leads. Delivered today in the post with bit of luck and it'll only take a while to finish it off.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Right. All done and working. The new leads were spot on. Got them from these chaps at Nexia. Knew their stuff and had the bits in stock. If anyone needs to know, the Parrot leads for a sat nav LC5 with amp under passenger seat are SOT 914 and extension lead 06-428B. Not a difficult install and I'd be happy to answer any queries.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did you actually fit as a replacement??  Did you replace the head unit, or add in some stuff?

Pics??
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, all original head unit and amp. Leads are just interconnected with existing car loom and the phone kit's box of tricks does the rest. The hardest parts are i) working out how to take the car apart and ii) making sure you have the right leads for the phone kit as there is a bewildering amount of different ones and presumably car makers keep updating and changing looms all the time too.  Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: