Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Another Troopy!

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic.
Well I couldn't hold off with the painting I also made some modifications to the bar as I was not entirely happy with the sides. So I got hold of some old steam pipes (3mm wall) and also strengthened the mounts and welded some channel underneath which are supposed to stop the hi-lift jack slipping... Okay I say "I" but I am not that good a welder, so I got someone to do all the cutting, bending, sanding, grinding, priming, painting and clear coat. Cost me $20

So tomorrow afternoon is sorted out.

Well yesterday I mounted up the modified and painted bullbar. In it's previous form I did not like the wings that wrapped around lights - the tubes were quite bent and I really wanted something more unobtrusive and simple. I also decided to try mounting the hilift on it - works pretty well, and I had seen this mounting on a few other vehicles, but will put some sort of wire lock to stop it wandering...

Of course in the process of strengthening the mounting points and tidying up some of the welds things have got a bit out of alignment, so a few hours of drilling, grinding and filing will be needed today to get some of the mounting bolts sorted properly.

At the same time I plan to change the green water hoses to some black hyd hose I blagged, so a bit of playing around there is also to be done.

I also did the axle breather extensions - routed them up to the bulkhead near the bonnet. However the gearbox breather eludes me so far... Pretty difficult to access? I must say that LR had the whole breather thing sorted better that Toyota. But the worst I have seen is some "Extreme Duty" Renault Kerax trucks we bought last year - the axle breather is just a open section of hose hanging down behind the diff, no check valve and probably the worst breather mounting imaginable!

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 23:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

well a good while ago I ordered a 70 series "Turbo" badge from our local Toyota dealer - now most times they are pretty fast at getting more normal parts, but this one I guess was a bit tougher as it took over three months. Now it's crazy I know, and on e bay any turbo badge will cost a couple of quid/bucks whatever, but I just had to have an original red turbo emblem! Too cool
Julia  thinks I have lost it - first of all ordering it, then waiting three months and then taking a picture of it on the sofa at lunchtime to put on the internet!

ctually some stuff here on 'MUD she really admires - she really likes Soenke's hybrid 40/80 in "Traveling Cruisers" on the Expedition side. And the guy who is covering his 40 with camouflage vinyl!

Anyway just back from a quick "fix" with the good old cordless drill:

The roofbars are actually very strong - and the tent is well within their loading limits. I know two look a bit light, but the old tent (fairly similar weights) gave the bars a good beating with no issues. My terrain here is only gravel roads and potholes, so you get a feeling for what will take it and what won't. Worst case I stick another bar under it... I could have fabricated a serious duty roofrack as I had on the old Defender, but I wanted as little weight up top as possible while still using a RTT.

Anyway yesterday I had a feeling that in our store were some spacers - ordered by my predecessor who in his quest for bling ordered 4 daft shiny rims for a 105 series... Only he knew not a lot about cruisers and ordered for an IFS 100 series! So spacers were bought but never used 'cause he left and when I got his car the first thing I did was get rid of the alloy rims and homemade spacers and put it back to standard. So these H & R 30mm spacers have sat there for 4 years. I decided to utilise them as IMHO the '78 can always do with a slightly wider track, and well they are there! The issues of flares and so on might have to be crossed - but not now. I know there a lot of fors and againsts with spacers, but 30mm is not that big a deal and German TUV approved so they must be half decent - certainly pretty pricey on the web, so I feel compensated for spending $30 on a plastic badge!!

Yesterday I tackled the handbrake cable - when I fitted the underbody water tank it is no longer possible to use the original handbrake cable so I got one for a 79 pickup which is slightly longer. It was a bit of a race against darkness to drop the original fuel tank and get the cable installed so no pictures! Only one with the troopy on a 4 post lift, and basically yes some fender flares are going to be needed... I am off on last leave next week to Germany and UK, so am putting together a last list of stuff - including flares, better water hoses and valves.
Oh the new cable worked perfectly

Hi folks,
well back from my leave - good one it was too - but car wise... first two weeks was a Opel Astra (yawn) and then back home in the Scottish Borders it was two weeks in a Mini Cooper S (fun little car that goes damn well). In the village that I call home they are all Landrover daft and even question why I got rid of the Defender for a LC. But then they are also unnaturally keen on sheep and dogs too

So, waiting for me are a few goodies that I collected from our shipping people. First up is a big box with a Celica air-water i/c set up I got on e bay. Unfortunately I had my suspicions about the possibility of mounting it, and yup it is not going to be doable without serious hassle. Too much hassle for a low boost expedition vehicle. I really cannot see it working. The heat exchanger and rad are both just wrong dimensions. Shame, but I am not prepared to make the changes required for a remote travel and pretty new vehicle. I will think about it more, but an afternoon head scratching tells me no!

But the second box (from Carl at JT Diffs here on MUD) will fit! In it is an ARB airlocker rear and Truetrac front plus a nice ARB compressor...

Other stuff - well I bought a LR (ducking) cargo net for hanging on the cargo barrier and stuffing odds and ends... Stupidly I left a set of lightforce diffuse covers in Scotland (doh ) Fender flares never arrived in time to take with... and we have just had a falling out with our logistics people in Germany so DHL are going to lighten my wallet. Oh and a nice iPod holder for the troopy too Time is running now (end of May is looming) so better get busy.

So here are the next stages. Well obviously I decided to go down the locked route... Carl from JT's here on MUD did a great job and cheap shipping - turns out cheaper to buy an ARB rear and Truetrac from NW USA than EU (also considering shipping!). Been busy like hell at work as we get closer to leaving so not much real progress this week, although our machine shop have been bribed into turning various fittings for the air system I have planned. I decided to get an ARB new type compressor when I bought the diff as I wanted to build a fairly high capacity air system and the ARB would do this together with my old VIAR that has done me proud over the last 5 years or so. It is so hard not to plan this stuff when I have access to old truck air stuff and CAT too... Anyway that comes later - although checking under the car God knows where I am going to put my receiver (unused surplus stock from a CAT 930 wheel loader).

So tonight I just did the switches in preparation and scouted locations for the ARB compressor and tank etc. Should be fun!

ARB on the right

ARB compressor - nicely made. Fitting next to the solenoid will go to the tank with a valve so that the ARB and pressure switch control either diff alone or the receiver pressure. I will have a switch so that the VIAR will also be triggered when in air system mode rather than just diff.

Switches and front part of the loom wired in ready.

I must say the ARB stuff seems real quality (never physically seen their stuff before) and the loom makes it all simple. Tonight I am praying to Lord Bishwokarma (the Hindu God of machinery) that the diffs are the correct size as they are a long way from where they came from
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ARB time... took a fair bit longer than expected! Myself and Coby (great guy and super mechanic - very skilled, I have enjoyed working with him for 14 years and will miss him). Finished the third member set up but darkness stopped us sticking it in the axle. 4 hours... however in our defense we did lathe turn a sleeve to press the bearings back and pick up a propane cylinder and sprint back to the house to cook up the crown wheel. This means we finish tomorrow and quickly do the Truetrac and partial air system - at least enough to check it works. You guys might laugh but Coby thinks I am mad for using a dial gauge and torque wrench. Here many, many things are very different. Was fun!

He reckons a dial gauge hasn't been seen on a diff for years here!

gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

So,
ARB installation in the 3rd member completed:

So that one was slapped in by 3pm or so...  time for the front.  The front axle is a bit of a PITA!

Well, the Truetrac definately looks a little bit more robust than the 78/79/105 etc front high pinion diff - why did they change??????  The 75 had a stronger diff and gearbox!

Well, that leaves with some spares in the w/shop!

Has been a hectic w/e - fitting that lot while working mornings and humidity here is as high as i have ever known it - cup of tea and sleep time.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.  In your dusty conditions ( Razz ) you'll want to put a canvas cover over the workings of your Hi-Lift, otherwise when you want to use it, it'll take you half an hour to get it serviceable.... and may end up dangerous to use if you don't .... lots of hair-raising stories about handles flipping up, climbers slipping, etc.  And you may want to fabricate a Hi-Lift jacking plate for the foot to stand on to help distribute weight - decent bit of aluminium plate should do it.... with a channel tack-welded in to slot the foot into.

You can probably source a good cheap one from someone in SA.

Cheers
gilghana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Gary!
The Hannibal I will probably give to my folks as they are talking about (but this has been some time now) a tourer for Morroco.  I have almost pulled the trigger on a 80 series (assuming they would go halfers) a few times.  Was thinking about one that they could use and I could then abuse on holidays.  Okay that is out now but they are still serious about a bit of overlanding.  And if not....  I will let you know!

Why the Impi?  Well it was a combination of factors:
- falling exchange rates
- a mate in ZA who procures a lot of stuff for our company (well, knowing Dave he probably charmed the pants of some sales girl...)
- a container was leaving Durban so freight was free
- no import duty

Net result was a set of drawers & tent & deep cycle battery for about €1,200.  And to be honest I love camping and the great outdoors but a personal hate is packing up.  Rolling around on top of a vehicle getting hot and bothered and dusty from a tent cover really annoys me Rolling Eyes Strange one this as I don't mind the same under a vehicle - in fact I find working on vehicles quite Zen like and relaxing!  When I priced the same stuff - drawers plus Italian hard shell tent - in EU I would never have done it if not for the super price.

Yeah the Heath Robinson contraption was fun...  other unusual uses for a winch we have found here:
- flying fox slide over the pool from squash court balcony to vehicle (obviously you bail off over the water Very Happy )
- getting rolled vehicles back on their feet
- secretly hooking up a mate's golf during an airfield party and watching his look of astonishment as his car gets dragged away..

To be honest it has been used more for other uses than self-recovery - this is a reason (together with weight) why it will go in the box with the tent and not on the front of the troopy...  

Oh and a few people reckon I went "Bush" quite some time back  Laughing But joking apart I love the inventive improvisation that goes on in the African Bush...  Funnily enough I tested Coby's fingertip feeling on diff backlash with the dial gauge and he was bang on spec!  So who was the daft one - "precise European" with expensive fancy gauge or vastly experienced intuitive Ghanaian.  Errr - that would be me then Razz

garystockton wrote:
Gil,

You've made some great progress - really looking the dogs danglies now!!

What are you going to do with the Hannibal you sent back here (nudge, nudge, wink, wink ...)  And how come you decided to swap out for the Impi?

I like the drawers, but think the £1400 they want for them here is just way too much, considering what's involved, really.  I'll be designing my own, I reckon - I use mostly the SA 'ammo boxes', so will be basically building a frame around those...  But those look great  Laughing

And I seriously enjoyed the Heath Robinson 'ama Afrika' style hoist - you've gone native, m'boy!  Time to sit back on the verandah and sup on a nice cold G&T with extra quinine for the mozzies.  Wink  Laughing

Damn - I miss Africa!!
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - have you seen the new V8 twin turbo diesel troopy in Oz??  Shocked  Laughing   Now that's something to get excited about - no power worries there, then  Wink    Laughing
gilghana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,
yeah the V8 is nice!  Obviously never seen one in the flesh, but to be honest I would not be all that jealous - the V8 in the 70s is a single (albeit variable) turbo and about 200hp and 430Nm, so is not really that much beyond a modified 1HD or even 1HZ.  However I guess that this can probably be changed electronically.  And I am sure the wiring harnesses are an absolute nightmare...  Not really for here.  When I had a shot of a 200 - twice now - I couldn't help wondering what happens when you really drown it.  We are still suffering the aftermath of me drowning a 105 GX, a 200 would probably have to be written off.  

Anyway ARB compressor, lines and wires finished off (bit of tidying to do) and tested - all works as it should!  A minor leakage around the compressor meaning it cycles on and off too much but I will get that sorted.  To be honest I am not a fan of highlifts at all - for the reasons you mention.  There is not really that much that a highlift can do that you cannot work around (although slowly) with a regular bottle jack.  It is only there 'cause I have it and don't want it inside.  For a spreader plate I use two thick sheets of plywood bolted with the upper sheet with a cut-out of the jack foot.  Might wrap it up or might just leave it behind.  Confused  

Gil
gilghana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Gary - are you from Africa?  Oh and where in Edinburgh are you - I was born in Liberton.  Would love to catch up with some of you all in the not too distant future!

Cheers,
Gil
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, born and grew up in Zimbabwe then moved to SA in early 80s - just after Robber Mugarbage got in. Started in Joburg then moved to Cape Town till end 2004 when we came to the UK. Living in Colinton now, but miss Africa big time (not the violence and crime though, or the current weird politics).

Would be good to get together and have a yack - when are you likely to be back here?

Cheers
gilghana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest I have no idea when I will be back, but would be good to meet for a pint - will keep you posted of our location...  maybe crimbo in Scotland!  I like the African influence on TLOCUK Laughing

So I got the airleaks and final airline installation sorted out - this w/e will be finishing off the air sytem in general,
will get up some pictures of locker testing a.s.a.p.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gil

It all looks impressive. I hope you have great fun with it.

Just a little point re the hot water system. I think you have a stainless steel tanks to hold the (hot) water. If you can keep the supply of water free of chlorine you might avoid a potential problem. Stainless steel is inclined to crack if it is in contact with chlorine, particularly if it is warm to hot. With the tank being fairly stressed where is is mounted onto the car chassis, this could lead to it leaking or - worst case - falling out!

It's the combination of high stress around the (probably) welded brackets, vibration from the movement of the car leading to fatigue and the chlorine that leads to problems. If you do get cracking, it can easily be repaired but not if it falls out. Just something to keep an eye on.

Willy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guy's , there are probably more than a couple of us who have ties with Africa. Very Happy
I grew up in Cape Town, and always feel that CT is more 'home' than UK. Cool
Perhaps it is the South African woman I married. Shocked
Well, it looks like we will be moving back to Cape Town, and 'bucking the trend' of all the people leaving SA for Europe.

If all go's to plan, we will have our new house, just outside Cape Town, Panarama, or Welgeleden area, if any one knows the place. by the end of this year Smile
I have tried pricing up a 40 foot container for all the furniture etc. and wifes car.
We plan to drive the 120 series down to Cape Town.

The job I do, I am fortunate enough to live in one place, as my work place will always be 'some where else' Confused

Just another year of work, and thats my lot done, retire at 50 some thing
I can quite easily turn into a 'beach bum'  Laughing Muizenberg beach for the win ! Cool  Cool  Cool

When I get out of this cold place.

I am going to put these on

and try a few 'off road' pay and play sites.
See how she does eh ?
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Willy - good tip!  I will be avoiding any chlorine based water treatment then...
busaboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking that water system, always thought about building something to use the engine heat otherwise its just a waste. A mate has a proper water heater but uses loads of energy.
I made something years ago when i worked in Russia with a water pipe next to the exhaust but just for washing hands really.
Can you post some specific details about the system you have, parts, pipes etc as i would like to do something similar.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: