Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Another Troopy!

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilghana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savuti, Chobe NP, Botswana
Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh fantastic - great to see it greening up a bit.  Are you going up to Linyante?  Got to be one of my favourite places in the world - the drive down from there to Kasane is just fantastic ...

Off to Kazangula to go across on the pont??  And driving down to Pandamatenga along the Hunters Road?

Mmm - homesick now ....  Went to school out that way, and have tromped many a km through that bush!!

Oh yes - hit grass seed nets soon, or you'll have problems (make sure you fit them on the front and sides, so nothing can get in to the radiators) - and check for grass caught underneath near the exhaust - you don't want a vehicle fire ...

Sure I'm preaching to the choir by now, though  Wink
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many apologies.... Confused   That last picture I stuck up in a frantic hurry with intentions to then put more posts and so on - well, it doesn't always work like that!
well, my intentions of a coherent and organised (by date and location) type write up continues to be a pipe dream.  On the other hand I have seen far too many travel blogs and cars with maps/stickers/one life live it/type stuff...  what you want (I think!) is pictures of cruisers doing their thing and the occasional interesting write up.  You don't want to know how many deoderants Julia used in 6 months or how many amps my hair dryer consumes from the pure sine wave/blender thing:

(beer talking  Very Happy )

You tube Okavango Water Crossing

This was actually fairly tame, but if you listen carefully you can here a "ahhheee" as we hit the water.  Moremi (Okavango) is so, so beautiful.  The "05" road one was also fun!

Baines Baobabs, Nxai Pans, Botswana.

Cup holder on a new Discovery 4

Moremi Lionesses

Wild dogs - very rare (the wild dogs and the *beep* "sump guard" they plucked from the water and wrestled with.  Gotta be from a freelander or soemthing Wink )

Water crossing on the "05 Road" South Luangwa Park, Zambia.

Prado/LJ78 or whatever...  These guys became good friends - the Dutch couple, not the lions!

Hand drawn pontoon on the way to Liuwa Plains (Zambia)
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gil - glad to see you've got up to South Liuwa - did you go via Katima Mulilo or Caprivi and up?  Where to next!  Going to go across the lower Zambesi and in to Mana Pools - you've got to go there - fantastic stuff!  You'll be in my old stomping grounds then!! Laughing

And a Merry Christmas froma  snow-clad Edinburgh  Wink  Would swap you in a heart-beat!!
ChrisC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 19:28    Post subject: Fanning the flames of jealousy!! Reply with quote

Gil

you are now turning me green with envy, the photos bring back so many memories!

Trip looks awesome, hope you the Mrs and he truck are well, have a great Crimbo and New Year

Chris
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary and Chris - thanks, will get some details of routes and stuff up shortly.  In the meantime I have been able to upload a video that one of the girls on our Namib Uri trip shot and edited.  Now it is big and it is long...  but she has done an amazing job.  You have to watch it!
3 x 70 series
3 x 80 series
1 x 105 series
1 x V6 Hilux

Happy New year !
Five go mad in the Namib
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it wants a log-in to view?

And happy 2010 to you guys - hope you had fun in the bush, and are having fun in the bush!!
gilghana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Gary and all the best to you and the family.

This should work???
This time
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!!  Can almost feel the sunshine  Confused  Laughing   Now to learn German  Laughing

Did you enjoy  the stench of the seal colony while enjoying your lunch??  Shocked

For anyone else wanting to watch - be warned - file size is ~750mb!
Big-Andy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!! Brilliant video.....Can't wait till I can go there
gilghana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put up another video on the same page.  This is sort of guide to our troopy for friends and family...  wish I hadn't shown them after the slagging I got about being a total geek and how uninteresting all the under-bonnet stuff is Rolling Eyes
You guys will hopefully appreciate it a bit more!

Gary - yup these seal colonies stink, luckily lunch was upwind!
gilghana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few more random videos that I have put up on youtube.  Including what would be the ULTIMATE snow playing/recovery machine - A cat 545 skidder that we equipped with special chains and were evaluating in my old job - this thing rocks off road  Shocked

Youtube
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to watch your Namib video end-to-end - very cool!  I wonder how long that red Cruiser bakkie will last if they keep on doing reverse-recoveries like that  Laughing Pulling a laden 80 or 100 back over a dune crest must put some stress on t-box and diff!!
gilghana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the girl that made it did a great job!  Piet's red FZJ79 is a 50th anniversary - so 2000/1 and these recoveries must be in their hundreds or thousands....  I was left after that trip with a HEALTHY respect for the FZJ in the 80s and the 79s - remember every vehicle on the trip had one except us and the 4.0 'lux!

Other 'interesting fact' - the 3 80 series have each about 400,000kms on them (and they all look mint).  

The guides told us some fascinating stories, and were very happy to see the vehicles (and so few of them) that were on our trip - apparently they dread heavily laded diesel LR 110s as they have to do so many recoveries.  They also (if they can get numbers) do a North to South crossing - in other words mostly going up the slip faces...  entry criteria is apparently BIG petrol engines only!  

Just imagine it in something like this  Laughing :

gilghana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary - due to a variety of circumstances we will be in Edinburgh from 16th to 19th of Jan - would be great to hook up!!!????
Before heading to CPT to resume...  Even a beer (or five) in central Edinburgh would be cool!!!
Gil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: