Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

120 Series Rear Door Table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 23:07    Post subject: 120 Series Rear Door Table Reply with quote

Saw this originally on pradopoint.com and thought it would be an interesting little project - I'm usually a bunch of thumbs when it comes to this.  Anyway, decided to have a go.  Some of you might have heard me mumbling about not having a tail-gate while in Wales, and how I missed it's varied functionality, not having an 80-series anymore  Crying or Very sad   So I decided to have a play

Raw Materials:
12mm plywood, 1100mm x 500mm
self-tapping screws, nylon hooks, stainless marine hinges, 20mm webbing strap, 3mm shock cord; 500ml spray-on upholstery glue.  Most of the stuff came from B&Q except the carpet, marine stainless steel hinges and hooks, which cam from various flea-bay suppliers, mostly Chandlery World (excellent stuff ...)

Decided to varnish the ply and trim the front corners.  I didn't like the wood effect, so then decided to cover the ply with car carpet (the stuff used to cover speaker boxes, etc.:

Got SWMBO to help with the fabric cutting (well, what do I know about mitred corners: Razz ).  Fully covered table.  NB:  Ensure the glue you use dries to be transparent - the stuff I got doesn't, so had to be careful with gluing

Figuring out the hinge layout:

Oooh - drilling holes in the rear door moulding - ouch!!  Trap the folded over 20mm webbing under the nylon hooks and screw it all down with 30mm self-tappers...

Marking up and drilling for the centre hinge - drill right through the steel - ensure no clips etc. are in the way:

Table fitted!!

Table folded away for travel:

Anyone for tea??

Worthwhile exercise - SWMBO thinks it's great!  Total cost, about £30 - I paid more in total, because I had to buy a roll of carpeting, a whole tin of varnish, whole tin of glue etc...  some of which will be reused on other exciting projects (next up is a packing system...).  I had fun, though!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 23:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought of an excellent use for the glue, and carpet you still have over. Laughing

When shal I bring mine  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Laughing  Laughing
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Actually, if you forego the varnishing and sanding step, you can probably do all this on a Saturday afternoon.  In hindsight, I think the 20mm webbing is too narrow - I couldn't find any 25mm webbing though, and wanted this complete by next weekend!

I think the 25mm would be screwed into the holes under the 4 hooks, as opposed to just being trapped under them - may be more secure that way.  But then, this is not meant to be a seat, so should be OK - time will tell!
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

This is my next mod.
I have mulled over this for a while, and now is the time to start getting all the bits.

I have various bits already, including the webbing, which is 25mm.

I have to go to B&Q later to take back some brackets what I was going to use for the roof rack, (but got better and stronger ones )

'vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: