4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Morocco and the Sahara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a maggiolina rtt and awning but am looking at the options for increased enclosed living space when it's needed. They do a frame tent type affair for the maggiolina which probably packs down shorter but the Oz tent looks like an interesting option except for storing it and I think they're similar money with the Oz being more useful as a stand alone tent. When it's just me I'm happy with a 2 second tent and plastic tarp but her indoors expects more comfort  Wink

Thanks for the offer of a look at yours busaboy, I'll see how serious my interest gets before I take you up on that.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 20:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Moses

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mathew,

I see you have been enjoying yourself again Wink  Laughing Glad you had a good time and what fantastic photos! Laughing I even recognise some of the places in your photos. Brings back fond memories. Laughing

Trev
Sat Nav Free Zone
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of prep work (if any) was done to the Colorado for the journey?  Very Happy
24Seven

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSi wrote:
What kind of prep work (if any) was done to the Colorado for the journey?  Very Happy

Rebuilt the starter motor with a kit from roughtrax and changed one UJ that I found during a good look over was showing wear, apart from that it was already up to together, but I did check it as well as I could. Best thing for my comfort was the thermal blinds for all the windows, this made a huge difference as it was very hot over there.

I took one spare UJ, two air filters and two fuel filters and a set of belts + A small amount of all fluids. All I did on route was change the air filter, once during the Morocco part and then when back in Spain as there were so cheap from Milners I thought it was worth it.

On return I have changed the engine oil and have noticed a small leak from one of the gaiters of the steering rack, so that will have to come out soon for a look at which seal needs changing.
jonand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt - only just seen your post. Must get together sometime to compare pics etc. The 80 was written off and sorted very efficiently by my insurers (Saga), I duly bought it back and sold it on (via this forum) very quickly - and bought Bryns 80 from his family - so all turned out good (ish).

Thanks for the memory

Jon
24Seven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonand wrote:
Hi Matt - only just seen your post. Must get together sometime to compare pics etc. The 80 was written off and sorted very efficiently by my insurers (Saga), I duly bought it back and sold it on (via this forum) very quickly - and bought Bryns 80 from his family - so all turned out good (ish).

Thanks for the memory

Jon

Good news, it would have been a shame if your old 80 was scrapped, it was far to good for that.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.
nevamet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
I am going to Morocco September 2013. Finland - Germany- France - Spain - Morocco. Would be great if someone will join us.
Alex.
Trackasylum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning my third Morocco Overland trip for October and we're looking for company down into the Western Sahara if you there at that time?

Current thought ae the beginning of October down the coast, Plage Blanche then Assa-Smara and beyond possibly to Dhakla. Early days yet as I haven't arranged time off work yet. Also hear theres a total eclipse early November which could be nice to see.

Might be worth popping over to the Hubb for fellow travellers
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/morocco/
nevamet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trackasylum,
Nice to hear from you! Thanks for the link. I would go to Dakhla but I will take a fragile crew on board. Also I have a limited time frame. But we shall see what we shall see. We want to go Tangier - Cheufchauen - Fes - Azrou - Marrakesh - Agadir. But it's not a dogma. We have to discuss our plans. Check pm please. Stay in touch.
Alex.
ozzymondo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 15:51    Post subject: Morocco Reply with quote

Hi Guys , just a couple of points to bring up (nice pics by the way ) Very Happy, have done morocco twice now (Marrakesh , Draa valley trip with trailmasters) , the oz tent is no doubt great but does have its weakness ie trying to put one up in a sandstorm in the sahara  Embarassed , whilst we took cover for an hour in the roof tent  Laughing , even though it states "30 second erection"you still have to mess around with tent pegs guy ropes etc not to mention the bedding situation !! so realistically your talking at least 5 mins ?.
the other point regarding oz tent is the pack size at just over 2m long , unless you have the newer version ?.
the roof tent also has it's faults like when it's windy you would struggle to get a good nights sleep (constant flapping of material)
this is why i am changing to a James baroud explorer roof tent (5 sec erection) and no flapping material  Laughing.
now because camp beds aren't really my thing and iv'e yet to see a double (man/wife)camp bed then that's the reason why i choose a decent mattress for a good nights sleep .
the other downside to the roof tent (unless it's a state of the art aero dynamic one  Laughing)is the fuel consumption , we averaged 21.9 mpg over 5500 miles with a standard roof tent on , not too bad when you consider the amount of desert driving done .

getting from the uk to Spain (unless you have good sea legs)then drive down through France/Spain (it's all part of the adventure in my eyes) worth doing your maths to weigh up fuel verses ferry costs ?!,and also the extra few days of travel .
HDJ80 4.2td Auto 1993 present car
24Seven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a blast from the past.

I don't even take a tent now, just sleep inside.

My latest trip to Morocco was this Christmas, fantastic time to travel there apart from the short days (dark by 6pm)

Trackasylum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop making me jealous Matt Smile Got any plans for this year? we're thinking WS but not solo too remote to be safe. Picked up 2nd hand axle casing to replace my Boudjour Bodge job but now I've stripped it the mounts are a bit thin on good metal.

No tents for me either, nice platform inside and comfy thermarest much less hassel, co driver get relegated to a ground tent lol

BTW its Mark (TheWarden from the Hubb).
24Seven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mark.

I have done the WS solo twice now, well Assa to Samara the top bit  Very Happy I would love to explore some more further South, but not brave enough to do it by myself.

Truth be told, I really scared myself a couple of times in April last year on the mountain pistes, so I thought at least I'm not doing to die on the desert pistes, worst  it's going to cost me money to be recovered, but someone will come along and I do have a SPOT, not that I would expect an instance rescue in North Africa via the SOS button.

This year I'm planning a trip around the Black Sea in July / Aug so my boy can come along, not sure If I will complete it though but I'm 99% sure I heading to Turkey anyway. A minimum of the Balkans + Turkey and hopefully Georgia, but I may leave Russia and Ukraine until another trip.

If I have any leave / money left, I might go to Morocco over Xmas 2013 as well, I love the place.  Very Happy
nevamet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Matt,
You made me jealous... you know... I always was dreaming of a TLC... TLC 80. Unfortunately it's hard to find a solid sample here. They use the TLC in the vast space of Siberia... but their condition...  it will take a lot of money for repairing works. Thus I quit my dreaming and bought a brand new Mitsubishi L200. Sad but true....    Sad  &  Smile

Matt let me know please more tech. details on your wheels/tyres.

P.S. Guys, I tried many times to upload my pics here but Admins say NO:

>In order to try to prevent spam content being posted in this forum, we do not allow our users to post URLs in any form until they have reached a pre-determined number of legitimate posts and have been with us for more than a set number of days. We appreciate your understanding in this matter in order to help us eliminate spam from this forum. If you are an established club member and have received this message, please let us know ASAP.

Thanks!<

OK. Then I've uploaded the pics on  MOROCCO 4x4 Forum in the 'We welcome...' section. See you there then.
24Seven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alex

The tyres are bfgoodrich mud terrain's 255/85/16

I think I'm not my second set now and would buy them again without hesitation. I've done around 25,000 km of sand and rocky piste driving without a single puncture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: