All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

100 series boot storage rack

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 13:39    Post subject: 100 series boot storage rack Reply with quote

Seems to be topical and Landcrusher was asking about mine so I said I'd take some pictures this morning and post them. Still a work in progress but I know looking at other peoples stuff has given me ideas in the past, both what to do and what not to do  Laughing  Most of the time I need a decent load space in the boot for transportation of random objects, I only need a full on 'storage system' a few times a year.

I made a main frame for each side out of steel 25x25x3mm box section. Then I tacked some 25x25x1.5mm box outriggers on for additional supports. The base mounts to some of the 3rd row seat captive nuts in the floor and these provide the real strength. The top bolts to the 3rd row grab handle captive nuts and although quite strong these really are just steadying the tops of the frames. I cut some 9mm mdf to face the frames with, thick enough to take knocks but thin enough not to be too heavy and the steel frame carries the loads.

This is the drivers side with the mdf taken off:

You can see I've trimmed the plastic panels to expose the wing space that is usually inaccesible and above each wheel tub there's room for a 110ah battery so I've put mounting and tie down points in for those. I've got a couple of compressors, fuse / junction panel, a big invertor and my radio gear to fill up some of the void behind the panels. I should still have space behind there for a water pump and any other 'essentials' I think of later!

Passenger side with mdf:

Both:

mdf back on:

day to day stuff:

how it looks from the outside front  Rolling Eyes

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 13:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - when did you put on the TJM bar?  Looks good!  And why the TJM and not the ARB Sahara?
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Cool - when did you put on the TJM bar?  Looks good!  And why the TJM and not the ARB Sahara?
I put the TJM on a few weeks ago, probably only a week or two after Lincomb. The ARB sticks out much further than the TJM and doesn't have as good clearance. The same was true of the TJM T15 I had on my 80 vs the ARB winch bumper on Steph's.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've blurred out all the 1.5mm wall box section in this picture so you can see what I used 3mm wall for and what the basic frame started out as and circled where it bolts to the truck. It wasn't until the extra sections went on that the plastic side panel needed cutting.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Mine isn't quite as spacious in the back of course, but with no rear seats in, I can encroach on the foot well behind the seats too. Not even started mine, I need to think for a bit first. I'm using the rear grab rail points too. Very handy indeed. other jobs on at the moment, just finished a new gate to keep the dog in. All good practice with my new MIG. Not sure I want drawers, just slots really so that I can get my rifles under the load deck. Please do keep us posted on this one, I need some inspiration.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably go for a pair of drawers on the lower level, a pair rather than one single draw so that if I'm brewing up on the tailgate things can be shuffled to one side or the other to open a draw which a single drawer wouldn't allow. The next level up to bottom of the windows will probably just be euro box's slid in and the top level, when it gets used, is where my fridge will go on its fancy drop slide with bulkier camping gear alongside it.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a ferret about in the back today, not only are there the rear seat fixings, but very useful are the rear tie down rings. I have also removed the seat belts from mine (no, not the front ones) and this has left and incredibly useful bolt hole which was simply for the seat belt tidy hook / parcel shelf tie back. This runs straight across behind the front seats making an ideal restraint for the whole fixture.

Bought a chop saw today as the thought of hand cutting all of those angles was keeping me awake. If the rain holds off, I may get cracking tomorrow.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Had a ferret about in the back today, not only are there the rear seat fixings, but very useful are the rear tie down rings. I have also removed the seat belts from mine (no, not the front ones) and this has left and incredibly useful bolt hole which was simply for the seat belt tidy hook / parcel shelf tie back. This runs straight across behind the front seats making an ideal restraint for the whole fixture.

Bought a chop saw today as the thought of hand cutting all of those angles was keeping me awake. If the rain holds off, I may get cracking tomorrow.

LC
Sounds like you have a plan, and a different weather forcast to us  Laughing

My requirement to still have a decent load space worked today when I needed to take 7 spare wheels with tyres on to the local tyre shop to get them stripped off  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a plan is forming, but as to the weather, I'm simply going on the fact that these weather people mainly talk b*****s and have no idea what the weather will be. They spend several minutes telling us what the weather HAS been during the day and they don't always get that right. Just got my fingers crossed that's all.

Been playing with the saw. Much more accurate, and sooo much quicker.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you get to play with your cut off saw and welder today Landcrusher?

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. Photos tomorrow, time for pizza and beer. Got the 'dog guard' end in. Really secure. Absolutely square too. Quite pleased with myself. Couple of dodgy welds. Just can't see where I'm going with this mig. Stick was different. Could see perfectly. So hopefully, I'll get the outer frame done tomorrow. Handy being able to cut angles now.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Just can't see where I'm going with this mig. Stick was different. Could see perfectly.
Why can't you see, you should be able to and it is kind of useful  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a welding forum to pick up some tips and there are many postings about not being able to see when using mig. I don't get it. I can see the tip and the arc perfectly, I just cant see the area in front of the weld puddle. Apparently, it's to do with lighting. Some people light the weld work area with a halogen lamp, that seems to solve it. I have altered my helmet, angle of the torch, everything really. Sometimes I can see the metal join and other times, I can't see a damn thing. These are short welds so I'm OK really, but today I popped one or two lovely beads in and completely missed the joint!

Hope the rain holds off. Got Grand Prix to watch too, so I'll make an early start in the morning. The design is sort of unfolding as I go, but it all seems to line up really nicely with various bolt holes. I could mesh the side windows for security. Pics later.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds obvious I know but keeping your mask glass clear helps, it can get pretty mucky. I run my mask on its lowest tint setting and don't do anything with the lighting which is sometimes daylight and sometimes overhead florescent.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running it on 9 which is the lowest. I keep it clean too. I have even taped around the outer lens cover to stop fume getting up inside. The helmet's new. As I said, there are certain conditions where suddenly I can see, and others where I can't. It is a recognised phenomenon according to the experienced guys.

Off to do some damage!

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: