Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

90 series boot storage rack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucky,

I built a storage system with wood, bolts and angle brackets.  I use plastic boxes instead of drawers.  It works but it does occassionally creak, in places where one piece of wood rubs against another there are signs of wear and there is some sagging in the wider unsupported shelves.  So I would definitely recommend a metal frame.

cheers

Reinhard
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 20:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the interest Guys. Gone well today. Except for the heat - phew. On the steel front, I get mine from a local steel yard in Matlock, Derbyshire. Twiggs deliver to my village every day for free. The steel that I have been buying is really cheap. 20mm box is for nothing. Less than a pound per meter for sure. There are suppliers on the net, like metals4u but whilst good, are nowhere near as cheap as a local stockholder

Got the head board fastened in. Just drilled and tapped it then used a roofing bolt to secure the mdf. Very secure. Got the battery in and the compressor coupled up and wired in. All working lovely.

OK, then decided to get busy on the window protectors.

OK I know, I could have been arty farty around the window catches and made the frame follow the window, but give me a break, this is my first attempt. Getting low on argon too!

Looking really solid now. These are only tie wrapped in but are incredibly solid. I also bolted the centre frame into the outriggers today. I can't believe how solid the whole thing is. I even lay in it - yes I'm no stranger to pies, but it didn't even flex. I could grab the metalwork and heave it up and down and it just rocked on the suspension.

TobyJug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow looks superb....

I am impressed, your first time? really?

well I like it...

right that is it for the compliments don't want you getting over confident and loosing your concentration...   tongue1
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher.

Thanks for the idea on the steel, will go and look for a local stockholder. I already have a small amount of 20mm box and a couple of spare old roof bars which are 35 x 20mm which I will use for the main top spars running lengthwise on their narrow edge as they have that additional bit of torsional strength. Will use 20mm box for the rest. Guess I'll have to go and get my welder from my mate's house as he is storing it for me since I got my garage broken into by some pikey scroat.

Already got 4 good strong drawer runners and some 3/4 ply for the top board - may actually just go for 1/2 ply as with a steel subframe that will be more than strong enough.

Need to get hold of some decent 2 inch by 2 inch 3mm weldmesh for a load guard ( mainly as additional storage area to hang some things on - like shovel, safety helmet and hi-viz.

Looking forward to getting down to it. You have inspired me now.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. That's good to know. Yes, I intend to Velcro-tie ropes etc onto the mesh. Seems an obvious place to store things. Going to make the drawers next. Spent the time on the train today to design them.

I think I'd do it differently and much more easily if I did it again. But I have really enjoyed doing and learning the 'art' of metal gluing. Mine is made almost entirely from 20 x 20 box. It's like a roll cage in there. Oh, now that gives me an idea!!!!!

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to do it all again - and properly this time  Laughing  - you can do my packing system for me (for a small fee of course  Wink )

Let me know when is suitable to pop along then - the next couple of weekends are free ....  Razz  Razz

Looks good though - well done!!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeky.

LC
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 14:20    Post subject: Latest installment Reply with quote

Well a cabinet maker I ain't. But I have to say that I am rather proud of the most recent efforts. Got the drawers made - all joints routed and glued. No screws or nails. Got them fixed onto the runners and delighted to say they slide in an out perfectly.

Loaded up with cr*p already. I am really surprised at how much load they'll take. Even though they are a meter deep and the rails are only 600mm, the back end feels very sturdy.  

Made the fronts, just need some handles now.

Got the window guards fastened in as well. Great for hanging kit on.

LC
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really got to get the truck back into service, so I will have to take a bit of a break in the installation. Painted out the back to keep it water (and blood) proof. Then when I've time I shall finish the sides etc. Need a new fridge in there too. Got some handles on. Not really what I'd like, but have to get something on for the moment.

The drawers really do function very well.

As an aside, it went straight through its MOT this week. No issues at all. Not a mention of anything.

LC

SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LC,

Well done.  Its really coming along and looks great.  I'll have to redo my storage system at sometime!!!

cheers

Reinhard
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that with a LWB and the seats removed, you could do considerably more. Access via the rear doors would mean that you could split the load space. I know that you need the seats for your family, but if you were going full deal overland with just two people, you really could make some very useful modifications. I'm looking at a new fridge to go in there. Something to store the venison in!

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good LC, are you going to put some sort of catch on the drawers so they won't open themselves on a slope when you open the back door?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're not quite finished yet and whilst they have a small catch on the sliders themselves, it's not enough for a steep angle. I would have like posh locker handles on there, you know the recessed sort of thing. But actually the webbing is very functional. May well go for airline style spin toggles to keep the drawers closed. Simple and effective. I was going to partition the drawers, but other than for the cooker, I don't think that I'll bother now. Need to plumb in an inverter and get my third battery wired back in too. Then I'm set for Scotland in a couple of weeks. Haven't got the rifle rack in yet and still need a new fridge.

LC
leon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks like it would hold a 1000Kg's what you goign to put in there or was it just thats all the steal you could get hold of (eg:looks over Engineerd no offence like nice job  )

And how mutch cheeper do you think it was V's buying a draw system  seen in some mag's ?

And dose your wife remeber what you look like the time you spend on your LC  Razz
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread LC - excellent work.  You should be proud of what you're doing there - looks brilliant!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: