Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

90 series boot storage rack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am LOVING what you have done there!  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool

Hmmmmm, idea pinching time me thinks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 18:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, that means a lot. I have to say that my skills in being more accurate seem to have come on a great deal on recent projects. No 4 inch nails sticking out of this one. Over engineered? Oh totally. I think it could have been simpler, but man it is rock solid. However, it is not overly heavy - you'd be surprised. Cost? Difficult to say, but on materials alone, not more than £100. Labour, tea, pot noodles well, don't ask. Not to mention two welders a bottle of gas and half a mile of welding wire. But that's all 'for free' isn't it. Given that we have all seen ready made systems up to £2000, I figure that this is a bargain. If you wanted the simplest version, I would pull out the seats, use the anchor points to pick up on and just make a big square box with a drawer in it. Very easy to do. But I wanted a more integrated installation than that where space wasn't wasted. The drawers are different lengths so that they clear the compressor and battery system under the deck. I may yet go for a small set of drawers just to put tools, spanners valves etc in. This could go up one side. I don't want to lose the side pods. They're useful storage.

LC
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job LC, I deconstructed mine last weekend Sad and put the seats back in. Missus said the storage rack was too high to get the pram onto, and the dog is getting too old to jump that high.
It's modular and only took 3 hours to take out, and only added two holes in total (in the floor) (strict orders).
It'll all be going back in, in about 18 months or so, but I have to get the whole thing cut shorter so a back seat can stay in in future.
Unless of course you are allowed to strap babies to the roof rack - glue and googles should do it??
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 22:18    Post subject: Fridge Reply with quote

I bought this the other day. My cool box was getting tired and I wanted something a bit more business like. No way to afford an Engel or similar, I picked up this Tristar Supercool 45 for £149. It said in the original advert that it was Waeco. Wehn I got there pic was same - but Tristar.  Well I am very impressed. I ran in on 240v at home to pre chill my supplies, 12v on the way to Scotland and from a Camping Gaz 907 over the weekend. Got back today and the beers and gin and tonic (that I had failed to consume) were still ice cold. It has adjustable temperature control and electronic ignition for the gas. It is vast inside with virtually no intrusion into the cabinet. It runs silent too. It is NOT simply a cool box, it is a fridge with pipes and all sorts of gubbins in the back. I think the refrigerant is Ammonia. Heartily recommend it for someone with a lower fridge budget.
Incidentally, the drawers got a thorough shakedown and performed really well. Loads of off road bashes and crashes. No problem, still operating smoothly.
10/10.

LC

4runner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

very impressive DIY engineering and usefull project too

got my inspired to build something to store recovery gear in,  but will be much smaller scale and just behind rear seats (no more than 30cm deep), as need space for dogs to get in - dont think the old one could jump up onto a drawer platform like you built.
i could do with a rifle rack too

keep up sharing the good work

any info on the saw you got?  as i  am finding angle grinder not the best for neat cuts....

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Should have some more pics this weekend. On the saw front, I bought one from Machine Mart. It's a soft start 2200 watt jobbie. It takes 14" discs. Wear rate is good. It cuts neat, but tends to lead a 'smear' of metal on the final lip that needs tidying up. i plan to make a small support that will stop the waste piece from drooping at the end of the cut. all in, it's not bad at all. I bought some better discs for it. the MM one are a bit poo. It cuts angles too. You have to make sure that thee is enough metal to cut into or the blade deflects off. EG trying to trim 1mm off the end of a pipe won't work. 5mm would, but 1mm isn't enough to hold the blade straight. It was £119 I think.

Smaller bits I use an angle grinder and slitting disc. I am limited by what I can cut, so working in 10mm plate is out at them moment.

LC
4runner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read through this thread again last night for inspiration

I then had a look at metal prices - steel

I priced up things on metals4u
and a local steel place. - both excl. VAT

for example:  box 20x20x2
£6.08 (for 7.5m) at local place and £13.44 for 6m at metal4u

a 4ft by 8ft sheet of weld mesh 2"x2"-10guage £13.54 locally and £33 at metals4u !!!!

biggest difference was angle piece - 40x40x6mm - 6m@£16.10 locally and £42 at metals4u

SO.... well worth shopping locally,  local place does free delivery too

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
kjs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this sounds quite interesting for a project ..but the pictures seem to have all gone . Any chance of re - upping them ?

cheers
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not really. They got lost in an album shuffle and I don't have time to go back over all my old posts and revive the pics. This is a pretty old thread. I drive an 80 now after selling the 90 series.

Regards

LC
tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Sorry, not really. They got lost in an album shuffle ...

It's a shame when this happens - it's easy to forget that the link changes when you 'tidy up' and it subsequently 'loses' the posted pics - Let me know the new album name and I'll be happy to edit the posts for you?

Simon thumbright

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Simon, I have either ditched or archived most of those pics now - off Photobucket that is. As I have an 80 now, that's my main focus. It has affected pics all over the place on several forums. I had no idea that moving the pics around on there broke the link with the thread. It's a bit agricultural is that. I'd like to tidy up more stuff, but can't as it will make a right mess. I like 'tidy' in terms of filing.

Bit of a lesson learned the hard way I'm afraid. Certainly won't be doing that again. And certainly not happy to have my posts 'edited' but thanks for the offer

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: