Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Door Mounted Trek-Table

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 17:42    Post subject: Rear Door Mounted Trek-Table Reply with quote

Hi all. Just thought you’d like to see my effort of a rear door mounted trek table. Already drawing up plans for my rear storage unit….but having trouble fitting the hot tub in!

Parts Used:

6mm Exterior plywood for the back board.
12mm Exterior plywood for the fold-down table.
Dark grey floor paint.
25mm heavy duty webbing Strap.
4mm shock cord.
Screw-cap covers.
4x Flush hinges.
Dark grey carpet.
Carpet adhesive spray.
4x Nylon hooks.
Elasticated map pocket.
Aluminum corner capping.

Method:

Unscrewed handle and removed rear door panel and upper door molding.

Used original panel for template, and cut plywood to shape. This way I could retain the washer bottle access flap, and re-screw the door handle into the original fixing point. The new plywood panel also fits behind the upper door molding to give a neat finish.

Drilled out all fixing holes and slots for webbing & shock cord. Filled in gaps on edges of plywood with wood filler and sanded down. Painted top of fold-down table and all leading edges in dark grey floor paint (a few coats were needed). Secured webbing, so front screw could be covered by the carpet.

Fitted carpet with adhesive spray (spray both plywood & carpet) to back board and threaded shock cord (melted ends to prevent fraying), and replaced washer bottle access flap. Best to use a new Stanley blade when cutting the carpet to give a neat finish.

Screwed back board to rear door (using screw caps), replaced upper door molding and door handle (I had already pre-drilled the holes in the door frame to avoid cables, pipes, and brackets ect).

Fitted carpet with adhesive spray to fold-down table and attached flush hinges. Pined aluminum corner capping to protect the lower edge.

Fixed fold-down table to back board, and secured webbing straps (painted ends with clear nail varnish to prevent fraying), with nylon hooks (also used to secure the shock cord for when the table is in the closed position). Attached elasticated map pocket to replace original pocket. Added a few extra nylon hooks to hang things from (rubbish bag, utensils, etc).

The finished article all ready for a days camping in style!

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 17:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cracking job indeed. Craftsmanship is that  thumbup
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Very professional. I shall be doing the same I think. Current plans for mine include a slid out table as well, but I shall still nick your plans. One mod, maybe, would be to have adjustable straps. You can't always park on level ground and getting the table level might be tricky.

LC
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
One mod, maybe, would be to have adjustable straps. You can't always park on level ground and getting the table level might be tricky.

Idea
Very Happy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeeeez,

Thats too good !

Very well done.

Just so damn neat !!

'vette
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, that ups the stakes on here a bit for finish quality!

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Im glad you all like it. I really enjoyed making it, and what better way to make use of the sunny weather we had!

Landcrusher. I did think about the adjustable straps, but it was a little too late in the build to implement the idea. Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSi wrote:
Thanks guys, Im glad you all like it. I really enjoyed making it,
Enough for me to drive down and make one for me  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Damn, wish I could be so neat.

'vette
24Seven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked  Very very nice BigSi

Well done first class job you have done there Smile
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSi, just to add to the design, when I nick it, I figure I shall put in a 12v cigar lighter socket and maybe an eyeball light over the top.

It's certainly a fantastic effort.

LC
Supra,Sean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent craftsmanship Big thumbs up

But may I suggest that on the right hand side where your cooker is you might want to add a fold out shield  to protect the flame from the wind, Either a piece of stainless hinged on the right hand side that way it would fold in before you put the table back up
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supra,Sean wrote:
Excellent craftsmanship Big thumbs up

But may I suggest that on the right hand side where your cooker is you might want to add a fold out shield  to protect the flame from the wind, Either a piece of stainless hinged on the right hand side that way it would fold in before you put the table back up

Or even better. Get a Trangia. Best stove you'll ever buy.
Adam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a trangia - they are excellent - nothing I have found is better and they do different types.  Dont bother with the smaller size.  The aluminium is good, dont bother with the teflon stuff.  The stainless steel lined set is excellent and if you are not worried about the little extra weight, get this one as it is more durable.  I have to say though, one thing that will simply blow you away will be to get the gas conversion for the trangia.  It completely transforms it into a beast of a cooker.  Really fast and it makes it very adaptable as you can run it with meths or gas.  They are extremely safe as they are very stable and do a lot better in the wind that others.  The kettle is probably the first thing you will take out and leave at home as you will use the pots to boil the water.

By the way, if you do get a trangia, put about 5% water in the meths you add to the burner and it will reduce the blackening you get on the bottom of the pans etc.

Adam
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trangia with gas conversion is what I've been using for ages and it's great for anything in a pot or the kettle but rubbish for a fry up when it's cold and windy  Crying or Very sad . I've cut down one of the pans to use as a frying pan support, much better  Very Happy  You'll need to master the art of putting the gas bottle on its side to get it to work when it's close to freezing though because the butane won't gas off.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have so many stoves that I could pen a shop. Storm kettles, original Globetrotters etc. But I'm with you guys, the Trangia with gas conversion - I reckon I could open a Blacksmiths and make horseshoes on that. It is nuclear! Never had anything like it. With the butane/propane mix, it's close to melting through your pans!

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: