4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Door Mounted Trek-Table

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol stoves, tents and knifes, you can never have too many of them  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 23:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the 'Swedish Army Trangia Stove' like? What kind of gas bottle do you run the 'Gas coversion' kit from?

The gas stove was only there for show! I would probably use is more as a prep table than a cooking platform.  Laughing
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the one man 27 trangia set with the extra gas conversion. It runs off standard screw top canisters which come in 3 sizes. I went for 4 days camping and used it a lot and only used one of the medium sized cans - about £3. I the shops, the gas bit is £40. I got it on e-bay for £27.

I'm with you Jon, knives, sharpeners, back packs, survival saws, LED torches, I just can't help myself. And I use them all.

LC
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the one man 27 series as well. I did swap the frying pan for the non stick version though. Much better for making pancakes on and the bacon doesn't stick in the middle Very Happy I don't have the gas kit but there are some in my Scout groups toy cupboard. I'll need to borrow one next time I'm out.

My favourite toy has to be my made to order knife. It is a thing of true beauty Very Happy
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

regthing wrote:
Much better for making pancakes on and the bacon

"MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try using the trangia 'frying pan' once and then started taking a decent quality domestic frying pan with me  Very Happy  I find on a warm day it's ok but if the temp drops not enough heat gets to the pan for crispy bacon which is how I like it. I cut the bottom off the small pan half way up, castelated the remaining ring and use that as a frying pan support now.

On the theme of can't have too many, I bought a Coleman twin burner fold up stove they've just started doing but haven't had chance to field test it yet. Uses propane mixes and has the same bottle fitting as my lamp and blow torch which would cut down on gas bottle types to carry.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so nearly bought one of those Coleman dual fuel hurricane lanterns today. I so really need one. Oh yes. Not like I have electricity or anything.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
I so nearly bought one of those Coleman dual fuel hurricane lanterns today. I so really need one. Oh yes. Not like I have electricity or anything.
 Laughing It's surprising how much light the gas lamps put out though. I wouldn't have bothered getting one if I hadn't seen how bright Gary's was at Bala and they do a good job as a heater as well  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP

Last edited by wildsmith on Sat Jun 13, 2009 23:23; edited 1 time in total
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's what did it for me. That and the sausages. Gary - I said SAUSAGES. Having said that, I just have to have one of those calor gas bottle BBQs. That is the best non gadget, gadget I have ever seen. It even cooked my stew from a distance!

Just a limit to what I can cram into a shortie.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Having said that, I just have to have one of those calor gas bottle BBQs. That is the best non gadget, gadget I have ever seen. It even cooked my stew from a distance!

Just a limit to what I can cram into a shortie.
 Laughing Strap it to the spare wheel?

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

With help like that, who needs friends! It would go on the rack I guess. I have put the spare back on the rear door as having a jerry can mounted there it apparently not allowed. Lots of room up top now. I have a bottle. Actually could do with a pic of yours to copy. Huh?

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start a thread, maybe tomorrow afternoon after we've been to Cosford air show now though, getting a bit dark out to do it now  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes - boerewors .... (aka sausage  Laughing )

Will braai-ing some of that tonight  Laughing   Me 'n the dog are gonna enjoy that, seeing as the rest of the family are in sunny Cape Town for a month  Crying or Very sad
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to lower the tone of this discussion, but I have an old shoe scraper - 15 steel strips spaced an inch apart and fixed on steel rods - and a spade.

I dig a hole about a foot deep and roughly the same size as the scraper. Fill the hole with sticks and set them alight. Add about the same volume of small logs  (bits of branch). These can be quite long as the hole is fairly long and narrow which save on cutting them. After 30 minutes it's the best barbecue I have ever used. It gets tremendously hot so long as the wood is dry. The scraper makes a decent sized grill which can go onto the top of the hole or with one end down on the ashes if it isn't too hot.

A few chops, sausages, a steak or two and it's a feast. Baked potatoes in the hole as you add the bigger sticks (they need at least 30 minutes unless you part cook them in boiling water first). A nice salad and a bottle of red wine. Can't beat it.

When its all over, fill in the hole to leave everything nice and tidy and off you go.

I use a folding pruning saw to cut the wood as its easy to tuck away in the car without it catching on everything and it goes through most wood like a hot knife...

I should mention that I usually do this in a small field I am developing as a sort of smallholding so I am free to do what I like so long as I don't set fire to the neighbour's field of wheat or rape!

I don't go there if it's raining and being in Norfolk means - at present - there is very little rain. So there are usually a few dead branches to pick up. The barbecue makes a treat in an otherwise fairly dismal day (you try putting up an acre of fence posts on your own).

Willy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: