4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Refurb

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joinerman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 19:46    Post subject: Refurb Reply with quote

Been quiet at work this week, well more than quiet nothing at all so iv'e set to & given the wheels a birthday. They were in a sorry state & an awfull lot of elbow grease was needed.

Before.

And after.

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 19:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TobyJug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice I like that...
Black looks really good on your truck
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do tell. How did you do it?

I've got a spare set of wheels that are going to get a birthday soon too. Planning of ending up at the black end of the spectrum.
joinerman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scraped off all the loose & bubbling rubbish off & rubbed down using 80 grit paper, then went to a 240 grit all over the wheel, one thing is you MUST get back to bare ally where any corrosion is or you will get a bubbling reaction when you paint, iv'got a couple & i'll do them again when the paints gone really hard, next i used 000 wire wool, blow off with the air line mask up & tack rag off. I used Upol aerosoles, get them from a trade outlet, not cheap £14 a tin but there good, i get trade so paid a tenner each, first use ACID 8, it's an etching primer for the ally, then a couple of coats of high build primer & finally i put three coats of black on each wheel, the most important thing is PREPARATION, take your time & be patient
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Joinerman - looks like you got a really nice finish on those guys.  As I have to put what little elbow grease I have into the house at the moment, I got mine powder coated at £15 a rim...

I notice that you have a rear wheel carried fitted.  I want to do sommat similar either off a bumper I'm making or with a kit like yours.  I've found a surf on a local breakers but don't know how easy it would be to adapt it to the 80.  Could you take a post snaps of yours open & of the hinges & door plate so I can try & make an educated guess...  I can't find an 80 locally with one fitted to have a gawp at...

Cheers gringo
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd struggle to adapt unless the surf happens to be the same shape which seems very unlikely. If you're doing a back bumper anyway then that's the best place for your carrier. The OEM ones are good if you have all the internals as well but a lot of trouble if you don't. I got a 4x4direct one off e bay, don't bother, quality is very poor, a pigeon could weld better and there are important bits missing from the design or I'd just re-do it.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy took the rear door carrier plate off for me to trial fit on the 80 & the basic shape is quite a good match but the top fixings would need to go into the top door - I think you could get away with out them or split the carrier if necessary.  I wasn't thinking straight at the time as I was on the phone at the time & backed away from it but having throught about it since, for £30, it might be worth a punt.  I'd like to have a look at an 80 carrier to see how they compare...

Reckon I'll most likely wait to see how the rear bumper turns out & see if I can mount sommat off it though.  I fear I may not have planned the bumper too well for this though...  It sits quite flush with the rear of the truck, inbetween the bits you notched for your bumper to fit JW, bit like a land rovers, & I was going to wrap some tube around it to afford protection to the rear corners of the body but thats where I'd need to fit the carrier plates...  Ah I'll manage sommat!!!

Once I've got the bare bones of it together, I'll circulate piccies for opinions.
joinerman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go, mines an import & came fitted, you will need the number plate housing & i'm not sure if the lower tailgate is a different shape.

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main things the one I got from e bay is missing are the raised bar that almost looks like a handle towards the middle top and engages with the bump stop on the upper tailgate. You get the stop but not the bar work to go into it! Also the lower rubber stop on the catch mechanism is missing and there's no hole in the lower hinge for a pin to hold it open. All things that can be resolved but combined with the effort of making plates for the main mountings and general dissatisfaction with the quality it's put me off going that route a bit.

Does your lower tailgate feel like it's re-inforced behind the striker plate joinerman? I'm assuming the OEM installs are because that's quite a flimsy panel otherwise.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
joinerman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out & had a tap around, doesn't feel that solid but it doesn't take any weight, that is all on the carrier.
As the recieving bracket is a moulded form it's very strong.
joinerman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out & had a tap around, doesn't feel that solid but it doesn't take any weight, that is all on the carrier.
As the recieving bracket is a moulded form it's very strong.
joinerman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, double clicked the submit button, what a wally.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking that joinerman, one less minus mark against the e bay job then! After I posted I looked at your pics some more and thought maybe the plate is enough. Your truck looks good with the wheels done like that btw, sorry for the hijack  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavlad,

The carrier from a surf won't fit on an 80, the moulded hinge points are in the wrong place and also the wrong shape.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thanks for the pics joinerman.  Yup, although its the same, its a completely different shape to the Surf unit Sad  I was thinking it could be chopped about & made to fit but if as JV has pointed out the hinge plates are a different shape, its going to be more work & effort than worthwhile to do so...  Thanks for the input & apologies for the thread hijak.  I'll get my bumper on the back & see what can be done off it for a wheel carrier...

BTW, the lack of a rear bumper attracted Mr Plod on the way home last night & he very kindly pointed out that my MOT had run out on the 15th & gave me a £60 fine for the priviledge...  B*gg*r...  Only had the thing 3 months...  How am I supposed to know when the MOT's up  Crying or Very sad

Ah well, all part of life's rich fabric of disappointment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: