All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Insurance Advice for newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Landcruiser, Amazon, VX, Colorado and Prado insurers / insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:17    Post subject: Insurance Advice for newbie Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I am trying to get some insurance for my '04 LC (taking delivery tomorrow)

As soon as I ask the question "will you cover me if I fall into a ditch while offroading", they all run a mile.
Outright refuse to insure me as I may "have an accident off-road, drag the car onto the nearest road and say I hit a very muddy cow"
This includes Chriss Knott who's details I got off this site.
How do you go about this? Sure I am not the first to try?
Or do you not say anything and foot any bills from offroad accidents. How bad could it be? Seems like an acceptable solution unless I drive over someone and they sue me.

Another question relates to foreign licences:
I have been driving since I was 10 (legally: 18 Smile  ) on a South African licence. I had this converted to a UK one about 3 years ago. Elephant (who balked at the 4X4 thing) were happy to recognise MY SA licence as a valid UK licence. This was reflected in the rate. Others see me as someone who has just passed their test and now wants to insure something other than a micra.

Help! I don't want to be rape by horrible insurance companies  Evil or Very Mad

Thanks

Crispin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:45    Post subject: Re: Insurance Advice for newbie Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am trying to get some insurance for my '04 LC (taking delivery tomorrow)

As soon as I ask the question "will you cover me if I fall into a ditch while offroading", they all run a mile.
Outright refuse to insure me as I may "have an accident off-road, drag the car onto the nearest road and say I hit a very muddy cow"
This includes Chriss Knott who's details I got off this site.
How do you go about this? Sure I am not the first to try?
Or do you not say anything and foot any bills from offroad accidents. How bad could it be? Seems like an acceptable solution unless I drive over someone and they sue me.

Another question relates to foreign licences:
I have been driving since I was 10 (legally: 18 Smile  ) on a South African licence. I had this converted to a UK one about 3 years ago. Elephant (who balked at the 4X4 thing) were happy to recognise MY SA licence as a valid UK licence. This was reflected in the rate. Others see me as someone who has just passed their test and now wants to insure something other than a micra.

Help! I don't want to be rape by horrible insurance companies  Evil or Very Mad

Thanks

Crispin

Have you tried NFU?

Not the cheapest, but (never in a ditch) always been good at paying up , and in one case paying out more than
paid for the car 6 months earler

Radiotwo
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howzit Crispin,

There are a few folk who do the 'proper' insurance - look more on the TLOCUK site  Laughing .  I had a long chat to RAC who decided that I never went 'off-road' as that meant I was engaged in something similar to the Paris-Dakar race.  Theoretically you're always 'on-road' here because you're travelling on a public right of way??  or so I understand it.  Not like in SA or Bots where you really are 'off-road' as we would understand it.

In order to sort out the driving license bit, I had a letter from my SA insurers stating number of years on no-claim bonus, and that was honoured locally.  Also kept an image of my SA license which I send along with my UK version as justification for the longer license dates.

Started driving at ten, hey!!  Left it a bit late, didn't you?  I drove my first 'vaaljapie' tractor at 8 on the farm in Zim....  Wink  Laughing  Cool fun - me, the dogs and a 410 shotgun.  Damn, those guinea-fowl got slaughtered!!

HTH

Gary
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RadioTwo - I will try them.

I just got one from Adrian Flux. Was £1080 for a year. They asid they cover greenlanding and all off roading. Did not hesitate. All the others were really confused. "A 4X4 not on tar? Have you ever......"

Gary - I am always sceptical of insurance companies when you have to explain something to them and they reply "err, should be ok then"
Come claim time.... I did a lot of work for SA Eagle in SA - the f*&^$%kers will nail you at any anonmoly. When it comes to claiming, I don't feel like going through the whole "you said" "but we meant" kak.  Evil or Very Mad

Correction: I did not need any pillows when I was 10 Smile If I remember correctly I used to have 3-4 pillows on the seat so I could see over the dash of the Mazda 323 (old round one) Them were the days... All the local cops knew us (small farming community) and would wave hello...

Anyway - back to this insurance lark....
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

RadioTwo - I assume you mean NFU-Mutal?
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin,

Just to second what Gary has said - greenlaning here counts as "on-road" driving. Pay 'n play sites are proper off-road and very few insurers want to know about that! I insured my LC80 through the club scheme 2GFS and they added some clauses for additional coverage for green-laning and (minor) offroading without even being asked! They also insure you for Morocco as part fo the European-wide coverage, which is nice.
Never had to claim from them (touch wood) so no advice on what they're like to deal with in a crunch.

My suggestion would be to not even mention off-roading when talking to insurers - it does make them suspicious and less likely to do a deal for you. No need even to mention green-laning as this is technically on-road driving as if you were on a motorway, as far as insurance goes. Do what you have to to avoid getting the insurance agent's back up! You will have to accept that if you do choose to visit pay & play sites and blow the wheels/glass/suspension etc off your LC, then it will be out of your pocket....

Your licence "shouldn't" be an issue as getting a full UK licence is just a straight swap for the SA licence, so your length of holding the licence should count either way... Bit of a b@gger if they won't recognise it because you WILL get shafted on the premium - fight your case hard!

Cheers and good luck!

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I think I will just go with that. Adrian FLux was harsh and would cover you for anything (they said) so is a bonus but at twice the premium of other "normal" ones - it's steep. To steep to be worth it?

Cheers,
Crispin
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote from Adrian Flux sounds mighty high  Rolling Eyes  As they're at least prepared to talk to you, it might be worth seeing what they would quote for no off-road cover - I'm pretty sure that a big chunk of that premium comes from the off-road cover. Unless you're very gung-ho you're unlikely to be taking your new LC to pay & play sites, trials etc (i.e. do "proper" off-roading) any time soon, so chances of getting "uninsured" damage are quite low.

The rest comes down to your individual risk profile: age, no claims, car kept in garage etc. I don't know how a 120 compares but IIRC my 80 cost mid-£300s to insure as a guide - so a third of what Flux is quoting....

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

and there you have it folks!
Here's the conversation:
Me: How can you load a premium or decline cover for green laning as it is a public highway.
Broker: The insurance companies can do what they want and we won't cover you for that. You need special 4x4 cover.

They refuse cover because of the mention of 4x4 due to aforementioned reasons. It's either 4x4 or nothing.
Waiting for a price on the above cover...

Next please. Volgende ASB.
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested previously - don't mention "4x4", "off-road" or any description hinting towards anything other than driving very old, sedate ladies along the safest tarred roads in the country  Very Happy  The insurers are not able to "not cover" you for green-lanes if they're insuring you. It's the equivalent of saying they're not covering you for driving on dual carriageways, or B roads or whatever. Complete bull's testicles!

Try 2GFS - I had good service from them, as have others from this forum. In fairness, some people also report rubbish service - at this stage it sounds like you've got nothing to lose so they have to be worth a shout. I used Direct Line before and they were ok but not cheap - I don't have experience of any other insurers in the UK so can't personally recommend anyone else to try.

Perhaps others have got more useful advice for you? Presumably you're getting a week's worth of "bridging" insurance if you're buying from a dealer, so you've got a few days to sort this out?

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today - the gods shine down on me  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Chris Knott has said they will cover me and my new vehicle on their 4x4 scheme for no extra charge.
If I land on my roof while 100 miles away from the nearest road (greenland or 4 lane hiway) they will cover me!
All in all, £629 for 12 months with a mention of LC owners club.
The above is on writing as well so all is good.

They did say it's not normal for a new car to go on it as it is normally meant for older cars. Guess most "new" 4x4's don't see mud.

Right - insurance set and finally car arrives tomorrow. It'll be a fine day Smile

Thanks for the help folks.

CP
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!  thumbright  A little bit dear but you have full coverage so that peace of mind is a worth a lot!  Cool  Now we can let you lead the charge on any hardcore obstacles on the 'Plain this Sunday  Very Happy

Glad you were able to get it sorted in the end!

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's not cheap, it is £100 more than I am pay for the '00 freelander.
Not sure why I have fully comp on it. Bird breaks a mirror off it'll be a write off  Very Happy

Maybe when I am 60 I will get cheap insurance. somehow I never get find it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Landcruiser, Amazon, VX, Colorado and Prado insurers / insurance All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: