4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Bumper Build

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 14:45    Post subject: Rear Bumper Build Reply with quote

For some daft reason I have decided that the first thing I should do to mod my truck is replace the rear bumper...  Not a lift kit, not mud tyres, not even a front bar but the rear bumper...  I've never really liked the stock back end & once I'd seen Wildsmiths old 80 without anything on the back, well, I guess that swayed me into wanting to change it around a bit.

So the first thing I took off was all the covers, corner bits, tread plate & towbar bits & was just left with just the rear crossmember in place.  She looked like this, having a stretch after the school fair a while back...

Not long after, I hacked that off too & thats when plod pulled me over to tell me about the MOT expiring...  (Note to self, pay fine soon...)

A while back, I had an afternoon free so my fabricator buddy Col helped me by folding a bit of thin gauge galv sheet into a mock up from which I ordered profiles.  4.0mm plate for the main bumper with 15.0mm plate for the chassis mounting brackets which will pass through the bumper from the chassis rails & double up as the recovery points.  I decided to keep the rear crossmember & move it back where the redundant spare wheel carrier sits to provide support for a tow hook receiver.

All the bits were there so I spent a couple of hours on Tuesday afternoon trimming the chassis rails & drilling the holes for the bumper bracket to bolt to.  They only bolt through one side of the chassis rail with a captive plate inside the rail & three M16 bolts on either side.  By making the holes a bit bigger that the bolts, I get a bit of float for final positioning of the bumper on the back of the truck...  We got the basics sorted, Col welded the bumper & brackets together & nearly had it fitted but had problems with the captive plates...  And then it was time for the Brownie pickup.

Here we have the trimmed chassis - you can just see one of the captive plates poking out the back on the LHS...

From the other side with the bumper looking menacing on the floor Wink

Addressed the problems with the captive plates last night with some spring plates to hold them in the chassis arms.  I whizzed the carrier off & cleaned up the chassis legs ready for Col to weld the rear crossmember back in...

Which he's doing right here!!!  Nice work fella!!!

After a bit of t!tivating, on she went & this is how things stand now...

I tell you what, I'm no bloomin David Bailey on the basis of these photos but what the heck...  The cutout in the middle is for a receiver tube to be fitted which will bolt to the fixing holes on the re-positioned rear crossmember so that will be nice & strong.  Might see if we can pop that on this afternoon if I get a chance...  

There's some more gussetts & in fill plates to go in too & I may fit some tubes round the corners for protection if I can get them to look sommat loike.  I'm toying with the idea of bringing the exhausts through it as well plus the obligatory wheel carrier option if I can be a clever dickie about it.

I wish I could weld & be self sufficient in this respect but for now...  'Colin!!!!  Here boy, weld!!!'
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 14:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gavlad,

Looking good! Out of interest, where are you locating your spare tyre? Adding a rear-door mount looks a bit tricky if your sleek new bumper is flush with the vertical bodywork of the tail-gate? I have to admit that I like the neater, more compact look of your bumper over the standard bulky one!

I'll be watching the build with interest Very Happy

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
TobyJug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Gareth.... looking lush....

We'll have to meet u soon me things so I can see it for real...
I hear u went to WC finally by the way.... lol
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good gavin, might be a bit tight at the ends and rub when you flex the truck but mr grinder could fix that  Laughing Nice to see someone else going high clearance. For the captive nut plates, couldn't you have just drilled two small holes each side, held the plate in place and spot welded through the holes? You could definately do with some tube or sumat to bump into  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mornin' all - thanks for the kind words chaps.  I've been mulling the design for yonks & am pretty happy with results so far...

Yes DZ, fitting the carrier is going to require some out of the box thinking but as thats one of my main hobbies, I reckon I'll be able to come up with something suitable - I hope so anyway else the spares going in the boot!!!

Lush eh?  I like that - cheers TJ.  We will have to hook up sometime - just don't know when...  Where are the weeks going???  Yup, made it all the way to WC on Monday - its quite a hike but Paul is a wicked guy.  What a lot of 'yotas he has  Shocked

Cheers Jon.  How much clearance do you think I should allow for?  I was trying to follow the shut lines of the tail gate but I think I need to 'adjust' the fit a wee bit from where it is now anyways - where's that pesky grinder  Wink .  The return on the top is actually touching the body at present because of the curve we've put into it  Shocked

I'd left the captive plate floaty for adjusting the bumper position but thinking about it, I could simply open the holes up on the bumper itself to do that - yes, I shall most likely weld that plate in come the end of the works...  Tubes definitely part of the plan Wink
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:05    Post subject: A tad more progress... Reply with quote

And a wee update to boot the above as well Wink

Had an hour or so down at Col's workshop yesterday &, guess what??  It seems that Mr P (me) can weld after all!!!  Well, in a very rudimentary fashion anyways  Smile  Bits of metal fused together & not coming apart = welding in my little world Wink  Of course Col set the welder up etc etc so there's a fair way to go before getting my stripes but it was a good feel.  Check out me samples:  (but not too closely!!!)

And this was a corner weld ground down as practice for the bumper ends...

With a bit more sanding, I'll be there!!!

Also got the receiver tube fitted - from behind...

and underneath, tied into the re-positioned rear crossmember...

I think I need some longer bolts in there really...

So next week, lots of practice with the MIG set & get the thing trimmed to suit & welded up!!!
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think 10-15mm would clear it but then again I'd have just chopped a bit out of the truck  Laughing  In fact I chopped a bit out of idrubie's just for good measure when we transfered my bumper on to his and then realised his body lift meant we didn't need to  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  I know I have a tendancy to over engineer stuff but your recovery point fixings look like they'd tear out on a big pull, wouldn't you be better with some angle and grabbing the chassis in 2 planes? A medium pull with any sideways element will hurt based on field experience not numbers  Wink  At least you have the receiver you could stick a recovery point in as well though. Is that 2" or 50mm or another size?

EDIT: you definately need another couple of inches on the bolts  Wink  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
I'd think 10-15mm would clear it but then again I'd have just chopped a bit out of the truck  Laughing  In fact I chopped a bit out of idrubie's just for good measure when we transfered my bumper on to his and then realised his body lift meant we didn't need to  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  I know I have a tendancy to over engineer stuff but your recovery point fixings look like they'd tear out on a big pull, wouldn't you be better with some angle and grabbing the chassis in 2 planes? A medium pull with any sideways element will hurt based on field experience not numbers  Wink  At least you have the receiver you could stick a recovery point in as well though. Is that 2" or 50mm or another size?

EDIT: you definately need another couple of inches on the bolts  Wink  Laughing

Chop chop chop, is that all you ever do Jon??  Wink  

I was thinking about some gussets off the plate into the bumper itself which would help to distribute any lateral/sideways loads in the event of a sideways pull but based on your experiences, I might try & get something through the bottom of the chassis rail too...  Its the connection itself that you think might be weak innit?

The receiver tube is 60x60x4 RHS for 50x50 RHS to slide into nicely.  Plans for making all sorts of attachments like Landcrusher are afoot although I don't think I'll need a frame & winch for hanging kills from Shocked for skinning etc  Razz
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavlad wrote:
Its the connection itself that you think might be weak innit?
Yes and I'm thinking a bit of side ways pull will bend the inside face of the chassis you've bolted to, it's not very thick stuff is it and I've seen much thicker plate bend in that senario. If you remember I welded some sleaves in to bond the chassis sides together at that load point and then also bolted up through the bottom of the rail so that the only thing that could bend would be the whole chassis box section and that in turn was being strengthened by the rigidity of the bumper bolted to it. For big pulls I'd be concerned that thin chassis metal will just tear through but someone who knows the numbers might say that's unlikely. Just remember it's easy to get carried away with a cruiser and be dragging a few vehicles out at once  Wink  Laughing

From where you are now, I'd want to put inserts in the chassis to bolt through and then if you can, put a length of 120x80x12mm angle around your existing bracket so you bolt through both and stick a few bolts up through the bottom of the chassis. Aint goin nowhere then  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah Hah, Gav. You never know Lad. The power of the Dark Side and all that.. Twisted Evil

The bumper does look sweet oh and lush too. I agree with Jon on the bracing stuff. You have a truck which has so much grunt. When pulling out a Landrover - well embedded, with a good run up, there is a massive force involved there. You want his bumper to come off. Not yours. Once I get this current round of job done, I'm doing to see if I can make up something like that for Lil Blue. Not with the tow point in, just a better bumper.

Nice work

LC
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking it all on board this end - don't want to be the hero one minute, pulling folk out of ditches & then be the one with a wrecked truck the next Sad  

I'll have a look at adding more into it but bearing in mind the bracket plate I have made is the full depth (all but) of the chassis rail, I did'nt think the rail would bend as the plate is spreading its load up to the strong corners.  Mind you, I suppose the rail could just squash & distort vertically if there's that much pressure hence the ferrules/sleeves to stop is doing so...

The problem I have is the bloody chassis mount coincides with the first fixing point!!!  I'll come up with sommat - flat bar on edge inside the rail to stop it squashing maybe...  All the fun of the fair Smile

If I can't ferrule the rail, I think I need to get that captive plate fixed in place as a start & open up the bumper holes for adjustment.  And when I do all this, I'm going to jack the back of the truck up cos I don't fit under it very well at the moment - talk about cricked neck syndrome!!!
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Hah Hah, Gav. You never know Lad. The power of the Dark Side and all that.. Twisted Evil

The bumper does look sweet oh and lush too. I agree with Jon on the bracing stuff. You have a truck which has so much grunt. When pulling out a Landrover - well embedded, with a good run up, there is a massive force involved there. You want his bumper to come off. Not yours. Once I get this current round of job done, I'm doing to see if I can make up something like that for Lil Blue. Not with the tow point in, just a better bumper.

Nice work

LC

Hey LC, you snuck in there while I was typing away!!!  Nice to hear from you.  How's your storage system coming along?  Work seems to have slowed this week...  C'mon gerronwithit & get the thread updated  Razz

To be fair, I quite like the idea of hunting but I have no idea if I'd be able to pull the trigger with something live actually in the sights - I'd like to think I have it in me being a fairly committed salad dodger but...  Idea I'll have to come along with you sometime & see what its all about Wink
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, Mate. Hunting is mostly about creeping around in the mud and flies without seeing an ar*e. Sometimes I just take a stick instead of a rifle - it's lighter and you can throw it away if you get tired. We have long stretches where the salad bowl comes in really handy. Trust me.

I have updated the thread this week. But I have a shed load on and go to Scotland next week, so I can't start a major bit as it has to be ready to roll on Thursday. Painting the steel this weekend, putting the new drawer catches on and connecting up the power, so all a bit boring really. Chuffed to nuts with the drawers though. Leaves me tonnes of space in the back.

LC

Edit

Sorry forgot to ask - where are you putting the pin for the receiver? If you have to drill a hole in the tube, it's harder now and if the pin is under the bumper you may need a frogman outfit to get to it!
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Listen, Mate. Hunting is mostly about creeping around in the mud and flies without seeing an ar*e. Sometimes I just take a stick instead of a rifle - it's lighter and you can throw it away if you get tired. We have long stretches where the salad bowl comes in really handy. Trust me.

I have updated the thread this week. But I have a shed load on and go to Scotland next week, so I can't start a major bit as it has to be ready to roll on Thursday. Painting the steel this weekend, putting the new drawer catches on and connecting up the power, so all a bit boring really. Chuffed to nuts with the drawers though. Leaves me tonnes of space in the back.

LC

Edit

Sorry forgot to ask - where are you putting the pin for the receiver? If you have to drill a hole in the tube, it's harder now and if the pin is under the bumper you may need a frogman outfit to get to it!

LMAO - sounds delightful LC!!!  Break out the fondue set Wink

Aye, the pins going behind the bumper & I know, I forgot all about the blummin hole for the pin in the excitement of getting a welding gun in me paw - I never do things the easy way LC.  Hidden it out the way like that for lushness (Wink TJ) & not operational usefulness - we'll see how much of a mistake that is in the fullness of time  Rolling Eyes
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go for a solenoid (air or elecertrik) operated pin. That would be mega-lush!

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: