2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Garmin GPS 18 or 20x USB dongle

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 16:22    Post subject: Garmin GPS 18 or 20x USB dongle Reply with quote

Anyone know where I can find one to run on my notebook running Garmin MapSource and Tracks4Africa?  Don't want to buy yet ANOTHER full-functioned GPS unit ...

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 16:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a simple GPS receiver to plug into your laptop, put

GPS mouse

into Google and you will get a load of links to people selling what you are after.

Alternatively, I have a Garmin Etrex and that does the same thing. It's a very basic hand help GPS but you can get a combined power lead (to the car cigar lighter socket) and data lead (to the computer) so you can use it continuously and not rely on its battery.

Willy
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a USB GPS of fleabay for £15. Works like a treat.
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking, if you have a phone with GPS in it you should be able to, via bluetooth, connect it to your laptop as well. Nothing fancy about it.

Off to google I went, asked the questiom, first result is a question on a site called LaptopGPSWorld. Poster's name? UK_Vette..... Surprised
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WW,

I've found a Garmin bluetooth GPS10x for sale, and also a TOmTom bluetooth unit which is specced better than the Garmin unit, and cheaper, so may go with that.  The notebook is going to be 'hidden' in the vehicle, so the less cables floating around the better.  Wouldn't mind a receiver with an external antenna I can stick it on top of the snorkel, but that seems to not really be an option on anything except the 276cs tyoe of unit.  I don't really want to have to buy another full-functional GPS, but I will if I have to ...
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If external is what you want, how about: http://www.thegpsstore.com/USGlobalSat-MR350-USB-Receiver-P1483C11.aspx
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's one of the items I've been looking at.  I don't understand why Garmin have stopped going for the OEM-type market - you think they'd capitalise on it, but they seem to be ignoring it completely.  Oh well ...

I'd prefer a unit that didn't have the cable out directly from the base like that - means drilling more holes.  I'd really like one that would be able to be fitted to the top of the snorkel.  I'll keep looking - there's no rush  Laughing
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a piece of black PVC gutter downpipe, cut a small section off, cut a slit in it, leave it in boiling water until nice and malleable, fold out into a nice sheet of black pvc, fold and bend until you have the bracket you want, drill hole in bracket, attach GPS, attach bracket to snorkel. If done well it could look OEM.

That's my intention anyway Wink

Cost: £5 for downpipe (or cut a section from your neighbour) and the cost of boiling the kettle.

I've used guttering for many a molding solution. It's as floppy as soggy newspaper when hot. Perfect when cool.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - eXpansys had the best price in town:

eXpansys

So I now have one on the way (with the USB cable) .....
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Let us know how it works out.

It can only be better than the dash mounted ones as they are blinded by the roof.

Did you get the 15' cable? Trim as much off as you can with that. 16 foot (5m) is the limit for USB 2, 3m for usb1. It might start giving you errors. USB repeaters are cheap though.

I guess from your snorkle down to under either seat is only a few feet.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - comes with the 15 foot cable.

Dof question - how do I trim a USB cable? Do I chop a bit out the middle and join all the right colours up again, or buy a USB terminator and re-wire it?  Bear in mind I have 2 left hands really when it comes to this stuff ...  Laughing
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a new connector from maplin and resolder it. But that's me. To leave the cable 15' would be better than cutting it midway and rejoining.
A hint though is that it can also be shipped without cable. This would imply it is easy to resolder the cable inside the unit. (Damage risk if you not confident with fine soldering / have the right iron)

Also, do not coil unused cable. Rather make a large coiled loop and flatten it. Small coiled cable = inductor. bad for data, good for picking up RFI.
Loop (long loop) any spare cable back and forth under the plastic door sill cover.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - thanks - will bear in mind when I get round to fitting it to it's final position.

It seems to come with along fitted, weather-proofed lead (manual says 176") to which you attach a short USB cable at the end.

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read the 15 foot part from the device is terminated in a PS2 connector and you connect the short USB converter (almost certainly an RS232 to USB convertor) to that. The 15ft part you would shorten will probably be running low speed RS232 signals and 15ft is a none issue so don't worry about shortening it Wink I still prefer the Garmin GPS II to V units for their versatility.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - agreed on the GPS III / V unit.  And the unit I'm getting runs 4800 baud, so pretty slow, really..  The terminating pin-out is a PS2 connector, with 4 active connections - Ground / VCC / RX / TX

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: