Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Garmin GPS 18 or 20x USB dongle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gary this maybe a little late info.  Embarassed

You may well find that MapSource / nRoute will only work with a Garmin GPS

I think there maybe 3rd party hacks around that can get around this though.

I played around a fair bit last year with a Blue tooth GPS that I used with Memory Map in the UK and could not get it to work with Garmin software, in the end I bought a Garmin Mobile 10 Europe this Blue tooth GPS came with detailed maps of Europe which was great for Spain and also testing the setup in the uk.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=420&ra=true#featureTab
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - will wait and see - the signal output seems to be the same format that the Garmin units produce, so I'm hoping MapSource will see it as a GPS on a com port and behave correctly...

Will report back!
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary - any news on this? How you decided on how to mount it or your going to wing it when you get it?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a mail from eXpansy today saying it's been sent (seems they run on African time too - 1 Day delivery turned into a week  Crying or Very sad  Twisted Evil ).

After all my faffing around with the CB antennae, I've a few spare mounts  Wink  Laughing  so I was going to chop one of those up to mount it to the roof-rails for now, and when I get and fit the FrontRunner rack, i'll mount if permanently to the front of that, coz the tent will go at the rear, and leave me with a bit of load-space up front.

Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.  The OS maps from MemoryMap will run with a generic NMEA GPS, which the unit transmits, so here's hoping.  Maybe MapSource will work too.

Now to spend much of tomorrow digging in the rest of the SA packing boxes in the garage looking for my 500 watt inverter ...

Will report back asap!
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

where have / are you mounting CB? Most folks seems to get a single DIN radio and slot it under there. Seeing as you are not turfing your radio....
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted the CB on the side of the centre console just in front of the drivers seat ...

And that's fine until SWAMBO puts the car into PORG mode and I have to take the radio off and stash it away ...

I didn't run the power to a fixed point as yet (waiting to do my battery install, and put in a fuse box, and do the whole lot at once..)
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
PORG mode
?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

PORG = Person Of Restricted Growth

She's only 5' 3" so has to pull the seat way forward - I'm 5' 11" so push the seat all the way back.  Oh for memory seats   Crying or Very sad Laughing  Laughing
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh. I am suitably enlightened....

In the spirit of "if you can't open it you don't really own it", I was wondering about a cheapy CB being hacked apart, the display brought out onto the dash somewhere (It's just a dual 7 segment display) as well as the up/down buttons. The unit you can then mount under the seat (How full will the underside of my seats be Wink )
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - the unit has arrived - plugged it in and hung out my study window and no problem - I can navigate my desk anywhere I want now  Laughing   Really quick and easy in Memory-Map.

However - Garmin MapSource doesn't want to know.  Bummer.

Oh well - I'll try oziexplorer or fugawi and see if that works ...
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a bummer.

Odd though. I did not think it would matter. I do not know that NMEA has any descriptors for make of GPS sending the data. To an application, the GPS receiver shows up as a serial port with a stream of data. I guess they must have some form of handshake in it which the app whines about.
I would love to see if it's possible to defeat it.

Sucks as I wanted to buy one because it was external.
Can you return yours as it does not work?
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does MapSource use NMEA or do you have to put the Garmin device into a different mode? I've not used MapSource, I just remember from a long time ago reading about this for uploading & downloading waypoints from a GPS II+. Of course MapSource may be sending commands to the device and expect a specific responce even if it's embedded in the ordinary NMEA data stream.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Does MapSource use NMEA or do you have to put the Garmin device into a different mode? I've not used MapSource, I just remember from a long time ago reading about this for uploading & downloading waypoints from a GPS II+. Of course MapSource may be sending commands to the device and expect a specific responce even if it's embedded in the ordinary NMEA data stream.

I would have thought that is what they doing. Not sure if they would embed something of there own in the NMEA sentence as that may well confuse other applications as NMEA is no longer standard (Because no one ever breaks standards Neutral)

Would need to use a serial sniffer and see what's happening.

Not very nice of them...
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsproxy/

There is another one called GPSGate which does the same thing.

It basically talks to your gps and fools the receiving application into thinking it's a different GPS receiver. Specifically, Garmin Wink

Not tried this one but has some decent reviews and it's free.

Jon, As it says in the description "changes GPS data format from NMEA 0183 to the Garmin GPS protocol." So I guess it does get the receiver into a different mode when it can. Failing that, receiver is just normal NMEA for other people.

Let us know how it goes..
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

any joy Gary?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: