4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Garmin GPS 18 or 20x USB dongle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had too much time to play with this - one of the issues I have is that the notebook is running puke_r Vista  puke_l  and I can't go back to puke_r XP  puke_l  - wrong drivers.

I've done some digging around, and there is a lot of info out there on the Garmin proprietary data stream.  So MapSource doesn't even see a GPS on any COM port unless it's been fudged - which GPSProxy does for you - but only for windows mobile, it seems  Crying or Very sad   I'm not about to go write my own java bit-stream interceptor / manipulator just yet - far more fun things to do, like pull out my toe-nails or burn my eyelids with my new blowtorch, or put a crimp in my ... on the other hand  Wink

Not found anything else yet.  I may revert to my Russian Military maps and an upgraded version of Fugawi - I only really wanted the MapSource stuff to add Tracks4Africa to it for Morocco, and as there is a while for that, I'll carry on playing around.  The GPS receiver unit works really well on MemoryMap, so the UK, France and Netherlands are sorted at that level.  I can always buy the US maps of North Africa if I really have nothing to do with my cash  Twisted Evil .  The in-car satnav does all Europe, so not too concerned there either.

Let you know if anything else transpires.  Doing long, convoluted searches for data stream manipulators sort of looks like work, but I can't get away with it for too long  Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 13:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a bummer.

I like the idea of the Russian military maps. I suspect the German military would have good maps of France. They spent a while there. Some basic ones of North Africa as well. Not so much for UK. Wink

I'll see if I can get my other GPS working again. I sort of hacked it to pieces to mount to my camera. If I can I'll play around with GPSGate and see what's cooking.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old Garmin eMap I could always use, I suppose, once I sort it out - the battery connector soldering had a dry joint and I had to do " 'n boer maak 'n plan" fix to it with a too-large soldering iron and it's never been quite the same.  I'll see if I can get it sorted out and working as a second alternative.  It runs serial only, but I've a serial : USB converter somewhere in my desk drawers ...  Wink
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

no joy? Assuming not, which would be the best receiver to buy? I am after something descrete and preferably, waterproof so it can be mounted outside.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
no joy? Assuming not, which would be the best receiver to buy? I am after something descrete and preferably, waterproof so it can be mounted outside.
Garmin GPS II+ up to a V come up on e bay on a regular basis for £30-£40. Try and get one that already has a power and data cable but they can be got seperately for about £15 IIRC. Add an external antenna and you're all set. I'm currently using a dash mounted antenna that looks like a USB mouse style unit, on the dash where it meets the windscreen, probably came from CPC. That's been working well but now I have a rack sorted I'll put my external through panel antenna off my 80 on, also from CPC. The Garmin GPS units are pretty rugged and have some basic mapping and routing facilities if your PC fails. Having a seperate display unit makes fault finding easier - you can see what the GPS thinks is happening independant of the PC. If you need to go walkabout you can take it out the truck, clip the standard antenna back on and track your progress. I leave mine permanently powered in the centre cubby, out of the way and no aquisition delays. The simplicity of the device Gary has is appealing but there are drawbacks to that simplicity IMO ... Garmin do make a unit like that, can't remember the model number though.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot 'e said  Wink  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Garmin seem to be a bit slow off the mark with this lot - concentrating mostly on the nuvi-type range it seems.  If you want SiRF III and 20 satellites etc then you'll need to go for expensive GPS MAP 478 / 276C etc.

I'm still cogitating ...
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my trusty etrex (the one that sings and dances with maps and routing) as well as cradle for it. I though of using it as per Jon's idea. I did like the idea of a permanent (read: less free floating cables) mounted on the roof. But this is still an option.

Jon, what about losses on the external antenna cable. If you unit is dash mounted, assuming you go up the A pillar, out the car to the roof rack, you looking at a meter+ of pretty thin coax. I guess it's ok as Mr-T's unit is under my seat with what looks like coax running up the B-pillar. A much longer run.

Maybe I can just hijack Mr-T's......
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
I have my trusty etrex (the one that sings and dances with maps and routing) as well as cradle for it. I though of using it as per Jon's idea. I did like the idea of a permanent (read: less free floating cables) mounted on the roof. But this is still an option.

Jon, what about losses on the external antenna cable. If you unit is dash mounted, assuming you go up the A pillar, out the car to the roof rack, you looking at a meter+ of pretty thin coax. I guess it's ok as Mr-T's unit is under my seat with what looks like coax running up the B-pillar. A much longer run.

Maybe I can just hijack Mr-T's......

AFAIK all the external GPS antenna are active units so they are powered up the coax by the GPS device and include amplification, so the losses would be more than compensated for, otherwise I think you'd be right to be concerned. If the etrex is just a different packaging of the same technology I'd go with that. I think mine can 'only' cope with 12 visible satelites but I don't think I've ever seen more than 8 visible at one time anyway and it's always been extremely accurate when checking against 25k maps on the PC for the correct route when laning so I'm not sure what real world advantage the newer chips get you to be honest.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would make sense for the active antenna.  Smile

The etrex does not have an external antenna, just uses it's internal patch one. It's pretty stable (like yours, don't think I have seen it with more than 8 or so) except in high canyons like Chicago (Was useless in the city!) and under dense tree foilage. New toy me thinks I need. Wink
Pugwash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://franson.com/gpsgate/

will take a single gps source from just about anywhere (seriel, USB, irDa, Bluetooh, Lan, Internet, local etc etc) and distribute just about anywhere else. It will port multiply but most interestingly it can output into multi formats (ie it can translate a standard NMEA receiver into giving a GARMIN output AND vice-versa),

I swear by it and used it for years - normally my GPS equipped phone sends and nmea signal via bluetooth to my laptop which then uses gpsgate to convert to Garmin where i run the mapping software. means the laptop can be anywhere within bluetooth range (such as in the back of the truck, or even inside a building) and you can still plan and map!
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

now there's a nice little app. I like the "over http" option....
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT sounds exactly what I'm looking for!! Will get in there tonight and have a look.

Cheers
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - that seems to work just fine  Laughing  Laughing

Now to get out and about and see if it tracks properly. bounce

Thanks, Pugwash!!

wav
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead impressed with this bit of software - what a joy to use  Laughing

Crispin - I think it does what you want too, see here -

GPSGate location sharing
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing with it yesterday. Only the simulation though.

I also found a bit of software (free) to put on your phone. Once installed, it will allow your phone to work as a GPS for GPS gate. I had it working yesterday in my car, connected to home pc. I did laugh at it though. I thought "What do I do if I see it moving? It would mean someone is driving away with my car"

GPSGate is handy though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: