4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

120 Series Safari Snorkel Fitment

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 21:05    Post subject: 120 Series Safari Snorkel Fitment Reply with quote

Well, the snorkel arrived this morning, as promised by Devon 4x4.  Good service, as promised.  So I've also found a 95mm hole-saw and arbor, so will go get that tomorrow morning, andthen we can begin, after a little trip to Halfwits to get some motor vehicle silicone sealant for all the joints (me being paranoid again!).  Couldn't seem to find a Starrett saw in 95mm available on the shelf ..  Crying or Very sad

Photos will come along, and so far I am very impressed with the quality of the bits in the box!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 21:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

4runner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news -  not got mine yet for the 90... ordered on thursday too from devon 4x4!  but its on its way north to scotland!
and got an 80mm hole saw cutter yesterday - no 83mm available, so i will have to file the hole bigger

look forward to the photos and fitting report

hope they havent got our orders mixed !

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaargh - how do you get those flat clips out without destroying them?  A round clip, 3/4" diameter with a tiny hole in the middle - secures the inner mudguard shield ....
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea what you talking about but would a hairdryer make them less brittle and easier to get out?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope - swine things.  Spoke to Jon - may need to wreck them.  They have a square top that pushes through with expanders - so you need to try close those and push back.  Contortionist stuff (go check above your front right wheel to see what i mean...
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh. Sort of know what you talking about. They use similar ones on the interior panels. Is it not worth breaking and getting a new packet from Mr-T? Read about someone who got all the door panel clips from them.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

think i've got enough out now - only broke 1.  There's stacks of them under there ... worse than leggo  Wink
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff. So, you done the deed? Have you drilled the holes? You know the snorkel goes on the left wing right? Wink
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
good stuff. So, you done the deed? Have you drilled the holes? You know the snorkel goes on the left wing right? Wink

"The left wing right" - no wonder I'm confused!!

OK - rule number 2 - it tells you to have a step bit and a 16mm bit for a reason.... waiting for the 16mm bit to arrive now ...

Rule 3 - no matter how nic the weather (and it's glorious here today) WEAR CLOSED SHOES - the bits that come off the car are !"£$%^ HOT  Shocked  Laughing

Most of the holes done - and it all looks OK now - busy applying Hammerite Silver paint to it.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to admit - I was shaking a bit whn I presssed the drill trigger  Rolling Eyes
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rule 3 - no matter how nic the weather (and it's glorious here today) WEAR CLOSED SHOES - the bits that come off the car are !"£$%^ HOT

You just a weekling man!

Ek het n boer se voete. Skrik vir niks. Smile

My neighbours actually asked me why I never where shoes.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - so it's done.  What a battle!!  If you think you can do this without removing the front wheel, you're some kind of special midget contortionist who's also triple-jointed  Laughing

The two jubilee clips that go on the inside of the unit, on the hose between the air filter housing and the snorkel don't fit - too damn small, so it's off to Halfwits tomorrow to get some bigger ones.

Also - there are 3 mounting pints for the lower part of the airfilter.  When I took out the filter and had a look inside, one bolt is missing  Shocked .  I wonder what the heck happened to that, and why the filter had been taken out???  So will need to get a new bolt from Mr T on Monday, or else it's not water tight, and need new mudguard clips  Wink

The rest of it fits together fine.  It's a pain getting the clips out that hold the plastic mud guard liner in place, but you MUST get that off if you don't want to struggle (I struggled...).  The instructions say 2 hours - forget it - took me most of the day (a lot of it spent watching paint dry ...  Laughing  Laughing )  Used a spray can of Hammerite Silver smooth .... next time I'll  use a brush  Twisted Evil

So - before we started:

The snorkel all packed up:

Wheel  off and instructions where I can see 'em:

Air filter out:

Found a spot where my tyres are rubbing ...

After much faffing, template on:

And the inner air tube out (what a schlep):

Holes drilled (ouch)

Upper support holes drilled:

Loctite sealant added to all seals (I'm paranoid):

All in place:

Wheel back on and torqued up:

Ready to rock 'n roll (almost - still got to seal and tighten the inner seals):

I'm knackered ....  Laughing
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

I did like your trick of taping the instructions to the door...

So there are no rear gotchas other than the clips.

The screws for the pillar, are there plastic clips then that go into the holes? On another post I was reading they just self tappers.

Going to order min on Monday SmileSmile

Well done!
You going to drive around now and look for the next flood? Wink
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of issues re putting on the rubber hoses and jubilee clips. Bit tricky and it needs to be done right or it won't be water-tight!

There are nylon inserts in the 'A' pillar with self-tappers. Be sure to measure that up really carefully...

I must have measured about 6 times!!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, heaven knows I hate to be picky, but....

Your drive needs jet washing. All those weeds!!!!   After all God beloon diegene wat hou van 'n netjies tuin so they say.

Detail man, detail.

LC Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: