Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Underneath rust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wickerman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 23:24    Post subject: Underneath rust Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post so forgive me if I ask stupid questions.

I have just purchased a 2005 LC4 which has only 11,500 miles.  I am taking delivery on Monday 21st Sep.

I am really excited about it but wondered if someone who has good knowledge and experience with Land Cruisers can put my mind at rest.

The vehicle is in top shape, however, when I checked the underneath there is some rust to the back part, particularly on the axles etc.

I am sure this is normal and the dealer has reassured me it is ok and Toyota provide a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty.

Could someone please confirm that I am worrying about nothing.  I am lead to believe that the vehicle has probably never been driven off road (something that I will be changing very soon!!!).

Many, many thanks to whoever replies.

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 23:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome.

I would suspect it was used for launching boats. They get reversed into the water with boat and trailer.

Surface rust on the axle and suspension parts should not be a huge problem. One thing I would check though is electrics. Depending on how deep it was driving, check teh electrics around the tail lights and any trailer connections for corrosion. Any signs, get the dealer to fix.

Any rust on body panels and you should get the dealer to fix it first. I had some on the underside of the bonnet around the intercooler seal. He had it stripped and painted. Have a good look and get the dealer to fix anything you not happy about before he "forgets" who you are.

You'll love the LC though. I have a LC4 and cannot get enough of it.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I have tons of 'surface rust' at the rear on the axles, and also some up front.  some is still mud, I think...

However, I'll be taking a stiff wire brush to it in October, after Lincomb, and then giving it a couple of licks of Hammerite Direct-to-Rust paint.  That should sort it.  I was also told it was normal by the all-knowing folk at Mr T, due to salted roads etc.  The bodywork, on the other hand, is (for now) pristine....

Hope that helps - and welcome to the forum - always nice to get another 120 on board  Wink

Gary
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear axle bears the brunt of all sorts of dust and stones thrown up by the front wheels on all LCs I see that have never been off road or used for boats they tend to have a sand blasted look.

I wouldn't worry too much about it although do check the warranty to see what is says about cover for off road use.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
leon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines same .....well can be i wire brush it and just spray black "stone chip" on it to keep the rush off for 12 months or so ...some poeple "hammer wright it " well smooth wright same idea its normal but you cant beat a man and his truck time painting it  Wink
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: