Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

120 series Lift Kit

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:28    Post subject: 120 series Lift Kit Reply with quote

Hello,

I see Milners do a lift kit for the 120 for £55 including the steering adapter.  What, exactly, is the benefit of putting in a 1 1/2 inch body lift?  What will I get for my £55 plus some time and effort on my part?  And what else will it stress or otherwise cost me?  (In other words, what are the pro's and con's of doing this?)

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:34    Post subject: Re: 120 series Lift Kit Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
 And what else will it stress or otherwise cost me?  

Higher insurance premiums because you've now modded your vehicle  Confused  This is probably unavoidable if you're ripping out the TEMS and adding sliders anyway - in for a penny, in for a pound!  Cool

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll cost you extra on your insurance, should give you better tyre clearance possibly for bigger tyres, if it includes brackets to raise the bumpers it should increase you approach and departure clearance. It'll also let you tuck your sliders up higher  Laughing  What does the milner kit do about engine fan to shroud clearance?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't state anything about that - I was wondering after reading LCs instructions last night (briefly).  I guess that'll need to be addressed too.  I think if I go with any bigger tyres I'll need to put the spacers in - the tyres I have already rub on full lock.

DZ - I'm not sure about the TEMS removal any more, after chatting to Jon about it.  I think I need to go figure the cost ito of lost safety factors vs. the improvements given by Bilstein dampers.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll need to figure out how to extend the intercooler shroud as well so that the bonnet and intercooler remain connected.  I know Arctic Trucks have a taller shroud there - wonder if I can get one from them...
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you also lift the engine mounts, transfer / gearbox mounts etc. or just leave them where they are?  Kinda makes sense (I think) to lift all that too if you can easily enough to keep it all tucked even higher out the way?
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifting those would make more work for the CV's which would shorten their lives. Not sure how much though if you only talking 1.5inch lift.
Another option would be to life the engine and drop the diffs.

Worth it? I dunno Rolling Eyes
PtP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 16:42    Post subject: Re: 120 series Lift Kit Reply with quote

Desperatezulu wrote:

Higher insurance premiums because you've now modded your vehicle  Confused  

I have a Jeep insured with Adrian Flux and despite being lifted as well as a whole list of other mods, they do not charge any extra. You just need to list all the mods and hope you haven’t forgotten anything important!
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lift the engine & gearbox it's only the prop shaft UJ angles that are affected, not the CV's. It's not something you normally bother doing though unless you have a big body lift because you only gain a very small amount of clearance and the extra space between the body and running gear can come in handy when you're working on the truck. It also moves your CG even higher than just lifting the body. Best bet is just lift the body, modify the fan shroud and make the bumpers work somehow (ARB?  Laughing )

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - just the body then.  For front bumper, I've just seen this on the TJM Oz site - it's a Type 17 Steel replacement and looks like what I want - no big hoop to scare the grannies and mother grundies, but enough protection and clearance...

Now to see if I can get one locally...  once body-coloured I doubt any layman would notice ...
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came from OEC and I think they're the UK TJM agent but it may also be worth checking if Julian can supply one? The mounting brackets would probably need some adjustment to work with a 1.5" BL but that should be quite easy to sort out.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - good point re Julian - will chat to him too.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you don't modify the fan shroud, you drop the rad. You make 4 small steel tabs, drilled with two holes, captive bolt welded through one hole. These drop the rad by the amount that you lifted the body. OR, you unclip the bottom section of the shroud and throw it in the bin. As per the guide. Bumper bracket mods - it's in the guide. Tank guard - it's in the guide. I have lifted body and suspension. 40mm on each. The CVs are fine, but much more and you run into trouble. I had to take the extra lift out again. The top wishbone hits the spring - at rest! And the drive shaft angle is utterly mental. Ground clearance though, is impressive.

Did I mention the guide....?  Cool I wrote that don't ya know.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes - the guide.  Quite impressive, actually.

You may want to add this as an addendum:

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally had time to read LCs instructions - I may need to think about this some, as although it seems easy enough in principle, I have two left hands, and only thumbs when it comes to this, so will be treading very warily here  Confused

On the otehr hand, the instruction document is a work of art, and is really clear.  You're in the wrong job, LC - you should get a job converting all the Chinglish user manuals to proper English - you'd make a mint  Laughing

Pics are nice and clear too, so many thanks for that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: