2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

120 series Lift Kit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest where can I find "The Guide", thinking of a lift myself.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 16:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw Gary, you say the nicest things. Makes me feel (almost) guilty about all the things I have said about you in PMs to the other Guys.

Regthing, I have to e-mail it to you. I keep meaning to get it on as a stick. Simon said he would, but I'm a lazy swine and just haven't got round to it. Can you post a link to a document like you can with a photo - anyone?

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milners 1.5" body lift kit, including steering column spacer, is now on it's way ..... Now for a quiet weekend or two, eh, LC?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Hmm, I'll have to think about that. Could involve a lot of diff oil and spanners.

Chris
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I'll take <more> pics ...
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righty-ho, the Milners lift kit arrived last night, in a huge box about 14" x 10" x 10".  I though it might include a midget mechanic too  Wink  Laughing   Nope - just a fairly large plastic packet (like a 1 gallon zip-lock food bag) and piles and piles of packaging stuff.  What a waste.  They could have used a 1 gallon zip-lock bag and some tape - would have been more re-usaeable ...

But I digress.  Good thing I have LC's guide, because otherwise I may just end up with the chassis on the roof, if I follow their instructions ....

Will post progress as and when it happens ...  The bits in the packet look prety good quality though - all solid aluminium and nylock nuts and steel bolts ...
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

So finally, we got round to fittting the lift kit.  What a frigging palaver.  That LandCrusher Chris is a wizerd - thank goodness.

The easy recommendation here is, if you haven't got the kit, don't bother.  Took us two solid days, and Chris a pile of custome jigging to get it to work.  And somewhere along the way we've screwed up something on the steering wheel - I now have no cruise-control, no hooter and the Airbag warning light stays on, there's a ticking sound coming from inside the steering wheel when going from lock-to-lock (although we can't see anything loose...) ...  Anyone got any thoughts?  It's a real pain.

So the kit contains spacers for all 10 body mount points - two of which are little bump stops.  Also includeed is a steering spacer.  (Pics will follow later - am on the train home currently, as the 120 is with Dr Jon for some 'stuff' ...)

The original instructions say something like:

1. Remove nuts from mounts
2 On a two-arm jack, lift the vehicle
3. Slacken off the steering links
4. Pull out the barake line coil
5. Lift the vehicle
6. Insert the spacers either on top of or between the OEM rubbers
7. Replace bolts with new ones
8. Lower body
9. Tighten up nuts and steering

Jobe done - how difficult can that be, and what could possibly go wrong ...

HA HA HA HA HA .... Twisted Evil   What a joke that is.....

The original nuts cam of fine, the brake line pulled out ok, the vehicle jacked up beautifully, the spacers went in ....

The bolts for 6 of the mounts are too short
The bolts for the two bump-stops are too long
The bolts to go on the front are fine - but you can only get to the originals after removing the front bumper, battery and dropping the water spray reservoir bottle.....  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

So off Chris goes and makes new bolts for me from 12mm rod ro fit the ones where it's too short.

That takes a while to do properly.  And it's raining, so we had to make a tented shelter for the vehicle and put groundsheets down to work on ...  and the light went ....

The the radiator - it has a single-piece shroud, so the radiator needed to be dropped 1.5" back to normal - so drop plates needed for that.

Then the front bumper - oh, doesn't fit any more ....  New brackets manufactured for that, and refitted - not an easy task.

And the steering spacer is too big - and the bolts too long - all to be modified...

WARNING - do not disconnect the steering wheel and move it from it's position......

We got it all back together, and off for a test drive.

Seemed good - got to 15mph and the VSC and ABS kicked in - seems we'd moved the steering wheel and now when going straight it thought it was turning ... Embarassed

So 30 minutes with the batteries discnnected sorted that.

But there's still something wrong there  Shocked

What a schlep.  But it's done

More to follow, but in the meantime..

CHRIS - you're a star.  It looks like - a bought one!!

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I does look very good though Gary  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it does - didn't even get to take a pic after we'd put everything back together, though  Crying or Very sad

Now for the suspension  Wink  Laughing   Come on Julian - details please!!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can barely see the join!

It certainly fits where it touches. No gaps!

Full list of 'challenges' will be posted in due course. But unless you really do know what you are doing and have several tools over and above a socket set, think twice about fitting one to your 120!

C
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to a critique on the Milner kit itself rather than the challenges that it brings:

Rear bolts set too short - half a nut engaged
Center body cross member spacer bolts too long and too much blind shank - will not fit
Rear mid bolts too short - half a nut engaged
Front mid bolts too short - will not reach at all
Front bolts - good

No, all of the bolts ARE the same in the pack and yes the main spacers ARE all the same height

Steering spacer is too thick. Needs only to be about 1/2" to 1"
Blind spigot holes for the rag joint are not deep enough BUT if spacer was thinner, then spigots would go right through. Solution is trim half the length of the spigot
Hole down the center of the spacer is no where near big enough. Needs to be drilled to 10mm

Kit needs radiator drop brackets to be included.

So if you fancy lifting a 120 - it is entirely possible and worth doing. But the kit is not enough on its own.

I will be feeding this to Carl at Milner.

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Yep, it does - didn't even get to take a pic after we'd put everything back together, though  Crying or Very sad

I can fix that for you  Very Happy  Steph looked out the window at the line up on the drive and likes yours best  Shocked

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a PITA Neutral
Once they review their kit and contents after LC has had a word, I may consider it Wink All I have is a screwdriver...

I could have used it though as yet again my steps are not really in the same place as they were last week.

Pictures please
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
I can fix that for you  Very Happy  Steph looked out the window at the line up on the drive and likes yours best  Shocked

So a pic would be good, especially amongst all that exalted company.  And don't worry - it's probably a colour thing.  Isn't that how girls choose cars:

Husband:  "What kind of car would you like dear?"
Wife:     "A red one..."

Works for me - good thing Angela doesn't read this  Wink   Funny - her Yaris is red ....  Laughing
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after digging through the FSM on the train home (Sorry, Chris, I did have the files on my notebook ..  Embarassed ) it seems that what's bust is the Spiral Switch under the horn assembly.  Awaiting final diagnosis from the doctor, though.  But all signs and symptoms point to that being the culprit.  So if you do this, DON'T WIND THE STEERING WHEEL AROUND!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: