Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

120 series Lift Kit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
train home
!!!
I assumed you had fininshed and it was ok....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the lift, yes.  The LC is now at the good doctor for some other stuff  Wink  Laughing  Laughing

Actually, the lift isn't quite finished - still need to figure out how to get the rear bumper cover to fit properly, and to do something with the tow bar.  Oh yes - another glitch....

Unless you have an LC3, or don't carry the spare under the truck, you WILL need to bash flat the winch pole guide hoop that sits between the bumper and the spare wheel winch under the truck - it won't let the end of the winch rod engage in the winch assembly otherwise.  Could be a bit embarrassing trying to get the spare down when you need it  Laughing   Fortunately, I'd taken the spare off to get to the little bump-stop mounts (the one's labelled '5', below).  Wink

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you left it:

turned it round so it's easier to fiddle:

the line up:

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first pic, it does look a lot higher... Nice.

wildsmith - why the chocks or is that your normal handbrake? Were they given to you but the person living across the street?
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Steph looked out the window at the line up on the drive and likes yours best  Shocked

I'll take the red one back if she wants to change  Very Happy

Ian
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
Your LC is looking good! The lift makes a surprisingly big difference, judging from the pics anyway! How was the handling and ride afterwards - apart from your haywire steering?

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what's helping here is that the low-slung side steps are not there, so the sill-line is clean, and a lot higher than would normally be the case  Laughing

It does result in me having to use the god-handles to get in now though!  And my mum-in-law won't be able to get in (hooray  Twisted Evil )

Other than no hooter and no cruise control, and the airbag light being on, it was perfect.  No discernable difference, except I can see a bit further ahead over the roof of most vehicles now!  The CoG change appears to be negligible (it's only 40mm on the body - chassis is still OEM height).

I think that once Julian get's back to me re the suspension change things may be a bit different - another 25 - 50mm on the chassis will be interesting I think  Wink   I wonder if I can get the rear suspension to lift by 50mm??  Need to go look on PradoPoint to see what happened to the 'Grande' (LC5) lifts ...
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
wildsmith - why the chocks or is that your normal handbrake? Were they given to you but the person living across the street?

I was about to remove the rear diff for a regear, chocks are a precaution  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

idrubie wrote:
wildsmith wrote:
Steph looked out the window at the line up on the drive and likes yours best  Shocked

I'll take the red one back if she wants to change  Very Happy

Ian

It was the funny little blue thing in the middle I was trying to persuade her to change but I'll mention it   Rolling Eyes

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Gary's spiral cable assembly:

oops, it shouldn't be like that:

just a ribbon cable wrapped round the inside of a plastic drum really:

I took apart the piece where those ribbon cable ends are supposed to be attached and a very patient person might be able to make a repair if they were very careful but considering this carries your air bag power as well as the less vital functions I wouldn't do it.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
And somewhere along the way we've screwed up something on the steering wheel - I now have no cruise-control, no hooter and the Airbag warning light stays on, there's a ticking sound coming from inside the steering wheel when going from lock-to-lock (although we can't see anything loose...) ...  Anyone got any thoughts?  It's a real pain.

So I see what was making the ticking sound now - the busted ribbon cable ....

Powers the airbag you say?  Funny - Angela was still talking last night  Shocked

Oops - maybe I better run and take cover now  Rolling Eyes  Laughing

Oh well, better get that one on flea-bay then Jon ...
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Well there is a lesson to go in the fitting guide Gary. Couldn't a computer repairer fix that?

On a different note I have been mailing Carl Prime at Milner who has now sourced longer bolts. I have mentioned that the steering spacer needs to be thinner and that the spacer blocks need to be wider. I will make a rad drop bracket and take him one as a sample to get made up to go in the kit. The rest will be up to the installer. I am not making anymore bumper brackets. He hasn't mentioned the shorter cross member bolts.

Once we get all of this sorted we can post a dedicated fitting thread just showing the good bits! Including the one of Gary actually doing some work!  Rolling Eyes

C
seph234
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
This is Gary's spiral cable assembly:

oops, it shouldn't be like that:

just a ribbon cable wrapped round the inside of a plastic drum really:

I took apart the piece where those ribbon cable ends are supposed to be attached and a very patient person might be able to make a repair if they were very careful but considering this carries your air bag power as well as the less vital functions I wouldn't do it.

Hello its looking good Cool
I also have done the same with a transit i ended up with a birds nest of computer looking cable hanging out and the airbag light flashing, its a learning curve and the l/c is looking good.   Joe
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some action shots  Laughing

Taking up the front floor carpet after removing kick panels to get to the second row of mounts (Note - NOT a posed shot  Confused ):

Getting at the washer bottle to allow access to the front mount

Gotta have tea and a biccie - union rules  Wink

The tiny bump-stop mount

We didn't have a two-arm lift, just two trolley jacks, which needed some help

Measuring up for new bumper brackets

Making brackets / mounts:

The new rear bumper styling - the crash bar is covered up now the jacks are out and the body back on the chassis.  There is nowhere for the 2 tabls to screw in to though, so will need to make a plan..

Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor Gary, you're a right car *beep* aren't you??  You'll let any one work on your truck from the looks of it  Razz  Razz  Wink

Looking tough now with the body lift.  Will be nice with the rest of the planned mods too Smile

The line up snap JW posted makes the wee Rav look like a dinkey toy Wink

G'danga!!! thumbup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: