Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

80 Series Lift

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:30    Post subject: 80 Series Lift Reply with quote

Those that have read the Lincomb event thread will no doubt have picked up that I have installed a 4” lift kit to my 80 with ‘delayed’ success…  (Always tighten the bleepin’ nuts & bolts people – THE NUTS & BOLTS I SAY!!!)  'Delayed success' meaning I stupidly had to miss the aforementioned event at Lincomb due to death wobble of the test flight 'cause I hadn't tightened half the bolts properly...

Anyhoo, I thought I’d do a thread to show her development & results to date.  I have already given her rear end a diet with homebrew bumper on this other thread (Rear Bumper Build thread) & a wheel carrier is next on the list for that side of things.

So here’s how she looked when I bought her:

Pimp my Ride blackout special!!!  Laughing

Aye aye, that thing on the back looks like something I could do without…  Wink

Bog standard unassuming stuff with not too bad corrosion in the usual places.

After much mulling, I decided to go with Ironman stuff for my lift – I was going to go with +2” but I knew that I would want to go higher eventually so went straight for the +4” kit offered by Paul at West Coast Offroad.

Very comprehensive kit including springs, dampers, anti-roll bar extensions, extended brake lines, adjustable panhard rods & castor correction plates but, crucially for me, no fitting instructions either…  Dead easy though innit – match up the bits in the box with what’s on the car & swap them over!!!

So here’s a few snaps of her on the (newly tarmac’d) drive before I started:

Those wheels could do with a refurb…   Wink

Playing with pallets to make my jack & stands tall enough!!!

GB = going backwards…

Oo look, there’s Tonka on the horizon!!!

Nice ass baby Wink

Once I’d managed to get her up high enough for the axles to ‘droop’, I spent a couple of evenings wrestling with the front end trying to get the rear springs to fit – WHADDAYAH MEAN??  Front are different to rear???

Before wrestling with the springs…

Ironman vs. ‘Yota dampers…

So that’s the front in…  Oh yes, I forgot to mention – fitting 35” mud & log tyres (courtesy of JayDubblyuh) on some nice newly coated standard issue rims  Cool

Didn’t take anymore photos ‘til she was finished for whatever reason…  Think I was starting to panic by now - I was desperate to get to Lincomb... Embarassed  You can read my sorry tale of disasters on that thread (from about page 9 onwards...)  However, least said, soonest mended...  This is more or less as is now:

Ooozingly sexy Wink  Hope they're light enough – look quite dark on my screen…

Our drive does slope slightly down so she’s not as ‘stinkbug’ as some of the angles look.  By the time the spare is hanging off the back, that will help level things out a bit.

Got a set of sliders in the workshop which will go on as soon as I can get an evening or two to myself & will start the carrier at the same time.  Got to add more bracing to the rear bumper & some tubes for corner protection…  Then, front bumper  Very Happy

I have a CDL switch to fit when I’m feeling brave enough to smash the dash board to pieces & will fit a new radio & CB at the same time – she came with a wild ugly DVD screen poking out of the dashboard when I bought her & this was erratic from the start until it started opening for no reason & wouldn’t stop ‘til I ripped the screen off…  Temper temper…  The whole things fubar now but I have an old head unit to go in from a previous project.

Now then, anyone know how to get oil stains off tarmac?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good gavlad. Newly tarmac'd drives and Landcruiser toys, mmm, not a match made in heaven me thinks  Laughing Now you're safely out from under the truck, give those axle stands to the next passing scrap man and get some proper stands that won't collapse and kill you another time oh and don't forget that lottery ticket again  Wink Looking forward to seeing the sliders and front bumper, they should round it off nicely.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Bat21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good there.

What castor correction have you fitted? I had a 6" lift on my 80 when I brought her but the correction kit on mine was only suitable for a 3" lift... she handled like a right pig Shocked

Have you fitted adjustable panhards front and rear too?

Looking forward to seeing the sliders and the rest of the kit.
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fellas - I'm really liking the effect.  Hope it prooves itself off-road as well...

You're not wrong about the driveway/toys combination Jon - I've not only dropped oil but the silly little jack I've been using has left nice little 'dents' in the drive way   Shocked   S'pose I should have expected that from pushing a ton or so upwards off two wheels 15mm wide  Rolling Eyes  And yes, will be hunting a better set of stands down too  Cool

Aye Bat21 (love the username BTW Wink), adjustable panhard rods front & rear with castor plates for the front axle all came with the kit from Ironman.  I'll take some snaps at lunch if the rain stops.  I mean't to take a load of photos of the kit on the floor before I fitted it...  But, as ever   Embarassed

There's a few new noises with the kit fitted which I kinda expected.  I suspect that some routine maintenance will assist...  I'm gonna be a lazy boy & ask questions rather than try & read up the FSM

1.  Does the prop shaft require lubrication where it telescopes in & out, what & how to do?

2.  The prop UJ has a grease nipple on it - thats just for the UJ right?  Wrong??

c.  Play in the prop/UJ - there is some...  How much twist is acceptable & how to get rid of it if there's too much?

Probably should post this in the main tech forum actually...
Bat21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavlad wrote:

.... I mean't to take a load of photos of the kit on the floor before I fitted it...  But, as ever   Embarassed

1.  Does the prop shaft require lubrication where it telescopes in & out, what & how to do?

2.  The prop UJ has a grease nipple on it - thats just for the UJ right?  Wrong??

c.  Play in the prop/UJ - there is some...  How much twist is acceptable & how to get rid of it if there's too much?

Probably should post this in the main tech forum actually...

Laughing I know what you mean about stopping to take photos... I'm doing a custom roof rack and was going to do a step by step photo diary, but it's almost finished now Embarassed

1. Yes, but don't over do it on the slip yoke nipple as doing so will cause hydraulic pressure... see below.

3. It should be possible to detect only a small amount, otherwise I suspect the UJ's will need replacing
(I'm not 100% on this so maybe someone will come along and correct me if I'm not)
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post fella!!!  Will see if I can borrow the old man's grease gun to see if that helps...

Will look forward to seeing 'the' photograph of your roof rack build Wink
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yopur best bet with the prop is actually to mark the two halves, drop the prop off the truck and then split it and grease it by hand - actually clean out the old grease first.

You won't know how much grease has been pumped in there in the past so stripping it will give you the chance to clean out the old grease and start again with fresh grease - I usually grease the splines by hand that way avoiding the initial build up of grease at the bottom and it enables you to check that the prop compresses and expands without problems before putting it back on.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds sensible enough - thanks Jules.

Would the prop be responsible for the dugga dugga gugga that I am hearing when I back off the throttle?  It doesn't do it whilst the truck is 'driving' forwards but does it when driving forwards with little power being put through the drive train...

There's various other noises, rattles, vibrations that have appeared since fitting the lift which I fully expected - I do need to start eradicating them though.  Hoping a barrage of fluid changes & other 'tribolic' operations will help...

One other thing that I really nedd to talk to IronMan about is that the rear steering connector arm seems to rest on the trailing arms now...  Thats shouldn't be like that surely?  Are there extended bolts available to lift the arm?

Will pop some snaps up in a mo...
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the snaps of the IronMan castor correction plates & panhards rods as fitted Bat21...  Forgive the quality/angles taken from, the ground was drenched & I couldn't lie down to take them...  Well, I could but wasn't in my frogman suit...

Driverside... Ish...

Kirbside - bit clearer Wink

Front panhard rod - still have to fit the new steering damper...

Rear panhard rod - note shiney new brake line  Cool

Anti-roll bar extension...

And this is the thing thats concerning me now - rear steering link arm resting on the trailing arm...  I'm certain this isn't good & is reponsible for a bit of vibration that shouldn't be there.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a lot of castor correction gav, hard to say for sure from the pics but might be more than you need. On the contact issue, you may be able to slack the bolts off and twist the axle forwards while you tighten everything up again to gain a bit more clearance. I know it's close with the slee plates and his instructions mention possibly needing a little grinding of the casting seam on the arms but mine never made contact. Have you tried twisting the steering link forwards so it sits higher on its ball joints?

You need to update your sig  Wink

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clikes - what would be the symptoms of too much castor correction then Jon?  As it all comes as part of a kit, I thought that IronMan would be marketting something 'right'...  I'd have a word wit Paul at West Coast but he's laughing it up in Morrocco for another week or so yet :-/

I haven't actually tried anything to improve clearance yet - I only spotted the contact yesterday so left her on the drive this morning Sad  Will have a thrutchel at it tonight.  When you say slacken the bolts off, you're talking about the ones around the caster plates yes?

I've got her booked in tomorrow with my local garage man to check the wheel alignment & just have a general look over for me - more for his thoughts on what maintenance I need to do with it.  He's a good guy, Dave, in leiu of a Wildsmith...

You need to come round for a coffee Jon...  You could have a look over her whilst you're here Wink  Could be a weekend trip...  Wink
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavlad wrote:
Clikes - what would be the symptoms of too much castor correction then Jon?  As it all comes as part of a kit, I thought that IronMan would be marketting something 'right'...  I'd have a word wit Paul at West Coast but he's laughing it up in Morrocco for another week or so yet :-/

I haven't actually tried anything to improve clearance yet - I only spotted the contact yesterday so left her on the drive this morning Sad  Will have a thrutchel at it tonight.  When you say slacken the bolts off, you're talking about the ones around the caster plates yes?

I've got her booked in tomorrow with my local garage man to check the wheel alignment & just have a general look over for me - more for his thoughts on what maintenance I need to do with it.  He's a good guy, Dave, in leiu of a Wildsmith...

You need to come round for a coffee Jon...  You could have a look over her whilst you're here Wink  Could be a weekend trip...  Wink
I've only ever done 2 lifts on 80's gav and one of those was a bit unconventional but AFAIK a bit too much castor correction is not a big deal compared to not enough but I think the Slee plates are for 4"-5" lifts and those look remarkably similar  Wink  What's your lift supposed to be? Obviously lift size isn't having any effect on your interferance problem. If you slacken off all the bolts at the castor plate end and tip the axle forwards you may find there's enough movement to make your contact problem go away and you'll have a little bit less castor correction as well.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 'unconventional' bit in there Jon Cool  Check my sig line for lift details Wink  Its a +4" kit that I've fitted.

When you say 'tip the axle forwards', just to be clear 'cos I think I can see what we're trying to do, that would be to effectively rotate the axle so the top of it moved towards the front of the truck.  Use of big ratchet strap to pull it towards rear of truck???

As a result of the lift, my steering wheel has turned in the straight ahead position considerably to the left - it was on that side a bit beforehand but now its a joke.  Simple fix I presume is to whip it off & turn it round on the splines or is there another trick I'm missing here...
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavlad wrote:
When you say 'tip the axle forwards', just to be clear 'cos I think I can see what we're trying to do, that would be to effectively rotate the axle so the top of it moved towards the front of the truck.  Use of big ratchet strap to pull it towards rear of truck???
rotate the axle yes, ratchet strap? no. I'd get the truck to do the work, chock the back wheels, put transfer in L, pop it in D, tiny bit of throttle, might even do it on tick over, axle should take up any slack that's available I think. You may need to hold it like that while you do the bolts up, not sure.

For the steering I seem to remember you can adjust it at the pitman arm but that can be a PITA to get off so at the steering wheel is probably also an option.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out on news at ten tonight...  Y'know, the little humourous story at the end of the bulletin - the runaway truck story from NW England...  It'll be me standing there looking all forlorn whilst the truck is being winched out of the neighbours lounge  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: