2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

More sliders

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:55    Post subject: More sliders Reply with quote

Having more free time than is good for anyone, I decided to mess about with some new sliders. There does seem to be a bit of a need just recently. Those factory steps seem to be littering the countryside. Not sure about bracket design at the moment, but the basic slider would look something like this:

50mm pipe and 50mm box throughout

Tee joint detail

Mini mock up of end rail and support spacers

Fully seam welded, these would be very strong. 50mm box would be best for the support arms onto the chassis plates (not designed, but not difficult.)

C
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the jointing, have you had a new toy or are you using a template? I think tube sliders look the part but if you've not tried living with some before you might need to know that as steps they're very very slippery when wet. For bog snorkling that might be an issue  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am part of a welding forum, Jon and I asked the question about Tee joints. There was a lot of held there. Someone posted a brilliant app where you type in the diameter and angle etc and it draws a paper template. You print it and wrap it around the tube then cut it. Fantastic. Know what you mean about slippery, but you could chequer the tops very easily like yours. I don't actually stand on mine to get in though. I am sort of tentatively offering my services if someone wants some making up. I think that actually I need to split the angles if that makes sense. So instead of cutting a 30 degree, you cut 2 x 15 degrees, one on each end. More work, but then the 'true slant' matches better to the opposing piece. My idea was to mount the first support close to the end joint so that I could just weld it all as one and hide the excess from the cut.

I think this is gas pipe. Crumbs it is bomb proof.

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I could see some marker pen and you must be using a template, very handy  Very Happy  If you split the angle equaly between the two pieces then their profiles should match shouldn't they so you'll have nothing to hide and could put the support a bit further back? I've avoided making the outer tube too solid on mine so that for sizable impacts it will deform and absorb a decent amount of energy instead of transfering it all to the chassis in places it wasn't designed to withstand impacts. Hit them hard enough and of course the end result will be the same but otherwise they will dissipate a good deal of the energy and either just be dented or need cutting off and replacing. Just something else to throw into the ideas pot.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, get you Perry Mason. Marker pen indeed. Damn you're good..

Yes, splitting the angle has to be better. But that's the idea of mini mock ups. Still, bigger things to fix just now. Not just the diff, I stripped front caliper today. Two pots fine, one tight, one completely solid. Haven't looked at other side yet. Bet the brakes will be much improved one I do this job. Did the rears recently, new seals and everything. I'll drop these into the parts washer for a week and get them cleaned up before I start.

C
mick the digger!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in a look at that site with the angle converter!
you will find though that after a while you will be able to notch with just a marker pen and an other piece of tube.
would you consider a pipe bender rather than cuting and splaying, would look alot neater IMO, you can hire them from tool hire places or but them for around 100 pounds...then you can make all sorts, bumpers cages etc!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got cracking this week. Well, what's holiday for?

Here's the basic bracket. There are three of these (remember it's a shortie, so that's quite a bit of bracket strength. I bent these to suit each part of the chassis.

Then I added the out rigger. I have tried to keep these short so that they don't flex. They only use a single bolt. I know that I could go mad and add bolts all over the place, but these go through the chassis so the bracket gets clamped pretty hard onto the box section.

Here's the bracket offered up. Hey, it's all precision stuff you know.

This is what one side looks like. Now, these are ONLY the sill protectors / rock sliders. They are there to protect the underbody. I have yet to add the 'fenders' or tree bars that will come up the side under the door to protect against side impact damage.

You can see here that they don't protrude at all but sit well underneath - ideal for sliding. The next section will be the round pipe which will, if the magic works, come out and up.

Right, off to calculate the angles and have a pint!

C
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking Chris!  I have a look at my chassis in the morning and modify my designs accordingly.  Need to have a word with my local welding shop now.

What sort of bolts are you using?  Are they the sort you'd get down at b&q?  Or are they something stronger?

97 KZJ95, BFG AT 265/75/16's, OME suspension, split charge system, snorkel, storage system, a few scars and bruises
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not big on bolt technology, but high tensile should do the job, I'd have thought. The idea behind this design is that you can't really put a full loading on the bolt itself. The basic slider is quite close (deliberately) to the sill and that means that even if the outrigger could flex, it couldn't flex very far. Now if you think about how much you would have to twist the whole U bracket to be able to exert any real force across the bolt given that only one side of the bracket would be in tension, the other in compression, I don't think that bolt choice is critical. On my older sliders, the bottom was held by a bolt which would be in tension. On these, as you can see, I have fully bent and welded the strap. So instead of a 12mm bolt, I have 100mm of 6mm steel. I reckon that the bolts are largely there just to hold the brackets on. It has been quite a lot of work. It's all custom fit stuff. Not technically challenging, just time demanding. Getting all the bolt holes to line up etc takes time. Simple under and over plates and bolts makes it almost universal. I didn't want that.

C
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working in the wet is utterly miserable, but the alternative - a day out with the family? Brrrr, no, out into the rain I think.

Here's the tacked up slider with tree bar. I had to abandon the dihedral idea. The angles were just too difficult for me and the swb means that there wasn't really enough slider length to get it all one. OK, version two may have up-swept bars.

They stick out a little more than the originals. When you are leaning over, you tend to end up resting on the roof gutter, so I felt a little more fend off might be useful.

Just got the corner gussets to weld in, ends to fill and hi lift sockets to weld on and a bit of cosmetic grinding here and there plus some nice garish paint and we should be good to go.

If you heard about the minor earthquake in Indonesia today, that was me dropping one of these bars on the drive!!!!!!

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should look good painted up and more is definately best when it comes to fending off trees  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but maybe something smaller when it comes to making my new roof rack, perhaps?

C
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the sliders fitted - in the dark. Managed to scrape half the paint of getting them on, but that's easily solved. They are very stiff. I have tried to jack the vehicle up on the rails and they don't flex at all. Now I can get on and finish that darn rear bumper!

C
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really good LC, that has given me something to think about for mine. Have you got a link for the forum that  had the paper template for cutting tubing that would be real handy. I will have another crack with the diff guard next week and make the tweaks that are needed and let you know how I get on.

Bigyun
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're much too clean, get some dirt on them quick, you have enough spare  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: